Clicking noise from electric windows

Chat about your 2018+ AW/BZ model Polos here!
Gueron
New
Drives: Polo 1.0tsi 95hp

Clicking noise from electric windows

Post by Gueron »

Hi all,

since maybe a month now, I am hearing a low clicking noise from the door when I have partially opened either front window. Initially only occasionally, now more frequently. Sounds like a small relay closing. It sounds every say 5 seconds or so. It goes away if I shut the window again. Sometimes on the left door, more often on the right door (I dont write "passenger" and "driver" since in France its the other way around..).

Not gone to the dealer yet (I have extended factory guarantee for total of 36 months). The dealer charges a fee to check for problem that they will reimburse you if work is needed/done under guarantee - a real rip-off.

Since I have the car (2 years) I have always had an annoying relay click noise when using intermittent wipe - each time the wiper blade starts - I assumed just the way the car is built ?

Anyone else has heard these noises ?
greetings,
Gueron
lancslad1985
Gold Member
Drives: 2020 polo gti plus

Re: Clicking noise from electric windows

Post by lancslad1985 »

I’ve heard the intermittent wiper click. That comes standard on all VWs :wink:

Not heard the other noise before.
SRGTD
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: 2020 AW Polo GTI+, Pure White.

Post by SRGTD »

I’ve not heard noises of the type you describe in my car, although I rarely open or close the windows (I use the air con, which I keep switched on all the time).

I’ve read on some VW forums that some dealers in the UK also charge an ‘investigation fee’, which is reimbursed if the issue they are investigating is considered to be a valid repair under warranty. The dealer I use has never charged me to investigate warranty issue though. It does sound like your problem could be a defective relay, in which case it should be dealt with under warranty at no cost to you - even if you do have to initially pay the investigation fee and then be reimbursed.
Gueron
New
Drives: Polo 1.0tsi 95hp

Post by Gueron »

Hi,

noise has been intermittent. Yesterday I tried e reset of both windows. Subsequently, I have not heard the noise, but maybe it will come back.. I'll report back..
I did the reset via OBD11. Apparently its also possible with the door control buttons.
https://www.wikihow.com/Reset-a-Car%27s ... he-Battery

Gueron