Steering knock

Chat about your 2018+ AW/BZ model Polos here!
Nick85
New
Drives: 1.0 TSI 95 DSG “Match”

Steering knock

Post by Nick85 »

Car is a week old, and I’m likely to approach the dealer in another week or so, but just wanted to ask first - is this a known problem/“characteristic” on the current Polo, or should I be insisting on an inspection...

Manoeuvring at slow speed, steering both ways, but not using full lock and never dry-steering; there’s a muted clunk noise coming from the front end, which can be felt lightly through the steering wheel; it’s partway through turning the wheel, though it doesn’t happen every time.
It’s a ‘21 1.0 DSG if that makes any odds.

Thanks in advance. Nick
monkeyhanger
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: Audi A4 Avant Quattro 40 TDI, Polo GTI+

Re: Steering knock

Post by monkeyhanger »

Nick85 wrote: Thu Jun 03, 2021 10:37 pm Car is a week old, and I’m likely to approach the dealer in another week or so, but just wanted to ask first - is this a known problem/“characteristic” on the current Polo, or should I be insisting on an inspection...

Manoeuvring at slow speed, steering both ways, but not using full lock and never dry-steering; there’s a muted clunk noise coming from the front end, which can be felt lightly through the steering wheel; it’s partway through turning the wheel, though it doesn’t happen every time.
It’s a ‘21 1.0 DSG if that makes any odds.

Thanks in advance. Nick
Didn't have that on our 2018 or 2019 GTI+. The MK5 Golf used to be well.known to do this.
Andy Beats
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: Nissan Leaf 40KW (and Polo United)

Post by Andy Beats »

Didn't happen on my 2018 1.0Tsi, and doesn't happen in my 2020 GTi.
johnparker
Getting There!

Post by johnparker »

I had a similar problem with my 2006 polo. Seemed to send a low knock through the steering wheel when turning into a junction especially with a slightly uneven road surface although not every time. I complained several times during the warranty period and (apparently) had the whole front suspension and steering rebuilt with new bushes etc (I doubt it!) Dealer said the model did suffer from 'baggy' suspension. After which it was exactly the same until I sold the car 8 years after.
My 2018 1.0 SE is completely flawless in this respect so I would suspect that you may have some kind of fault.
Nick85
New
Drives: 1.0 TSI 95 DSG “Match”

Post by Nick85 »

Thanks for the replies. Looks like I’ll have to book it in