Sat-Nav up-dates ?

Chat about your 2018+ AW/BZ model Polos here!
silverhairs
Gold Member
Drives: 2018 Polo SEL

Sat-Nav up-dates ?

Post by silverhairs »

I have a 2018 Polo, I was told that you get free sat-nav up-dates for the first 3 years.
I've gone onto the VW web site and I have to use the original SD card I got with the car.
The thing is, it tells you that you have to delete everything on that SD card first.
Now, I'm no IT expert, and can just get around things on my computer, let alone start deleting the original maps.
I asked the Local VW dealer who services my car, and they came back with "it's complicated thing to do, but we can supply you with a new SD card with the latest maps, BUT it's going to cost you £130.00"
Is there anyone who knows how to safely download up to date maps, without loosing everything on the SD card??

My mate tried it on a normal SD card, but because it had no code on it, the thing wouldn't work.
Noonoo632
Getting There!
Drives: 2020 polo sel 115ps

Re: Sat-Nav up-dates ?

Post by Noonoo632 »

https://youtu.be/_XyFwNZwXO8

Hi there see if this helps step by step guide
Noonoo632
Getting There!

Post by Noonoo632 »

Methods for updating Navigation software.
Discover Navigation and Discover Navigation Pro touch-screen navigation/radio systems include free lifetime navigation software updates. The latest map updates for your navigation system will get you new roads, itineraries and the latest POIs in Europe.

There are a couple of ways you can update your navigation system.

1. Download the full set of data in one go, or choose to download segments from the Volkswagen International Infotainment website . Please note some of the content on this website may not be UK specific, please contact your local Volkswagen Retailer for further information. Full instructions on how to perform the update are also available on the website.

The latest available map packs are available for the following devices;

Discover Pro
Discover Media
Updated Map packs are usually made available during the periods May/June and November/December each year.

2. Purchase an updated SD card from an authorised Volkswagen retailer. For more details click here to find your local Volkswagen Retailer .

Radio Station logos for your infotainment system.
It is even easier to find your favourite station with the right logo. A wealth of original broadcaster logos, which you can install on your radio or navigation system (composition media, Discovermedia, Discover Pro), can be downloaded here as a ZIP file.

The link below offers you the channel logos for Great Britain in ZIP format. The logos are only provided for use in Volkswagen Radio systems (composition media, Discovermedia, Discover Pro). No other use is permitted.

Download Great Britain radio station logos.zip

How to install the logos on your system:

1. Simply save the file to a directory of your choice with a click on the link below.
2. Unzip the zip file and search for the relevant logos.
3. Copy this to an SD card.
4. Then, connect the storage medium to your infotainment system.
5. Now you can import the desired logos into your device.
6. To do this, tap the Setup button and then tap Sender logos.
7. Now tap the desired station button to which a logo is to be assigned.
8. Select the source on which you saved the image (e.g., SD1) and select the logo.
9. Repeat this process for other logos, and return to the main radio menu by pressing the radio button.
10. The SD card can then be removed

From Vw website also gives downloads for radio stations
Harrihealey02
Bronze Member
Drives: 2018 SEL

Post by Harrihealey02 »

I tried following the steps in the link above, it won't register in the car saying "no map data". I have installed the backup of the original files and it works fine. Is there a step by step guide that explains how to update the map data more in detail?
Noonoo632
Getting There!

Post by Noonoo632 »

Have a look at the youtube video above I think that may give a step by step guide
Steve_2019
Bronze Member
Drives: VW Polo SEL DSG 2019

Post by Steve_2019 »

if you got a iMac you can download a app called "Volkswagon Discovercare" to update the VW SD card

Just insert the SD card into your card reader on your computer and that app lets you know if there is any updates available for it.
silverhairs
Gold Member
Drives: 2018 Polo SEL

Post by silverhairs »

Thank you all who replied, I'll give the youtube a good looking at and make some notes.
If there is some member who has done this before and feels confident to up-date mine and the wife's SD cards, I am willing to pay them for their time and postage :!:
Leif
Silver Member
Drives: SE 95 PS

Post by Leif »

silverhairs wrote: Thu Jun 10, 2021 11:26 am Thank you all who replied, I'll give the youtube a good looking at and make some notes.
If there is some member who has done this before and feels confident to up-date mine and the wife's SD cards, I am willing to pay them for their time and postage :!:
Just seen your PM sent years ago! You don’t accept replies. So I’ll say here I agree with your PM.