warning light came on today

Chat about your 2018+ AW/BZ model Polos here!
grazuncle2
Silver Member
Drives: Polo 1.0 TSI SE 2019

warning light came on today

Post by grazuncle2 »

Hi..
I went out for the day... a good hour trip -motorway mostly.

Parked up for 5 hours came back and started return journey.. after descending a long steep winding road.. (third gear and still braking hard-ish) then after a little time I noticed the very small orange triangle at the base of the cluster, with exclamation mark in it, light up. Checked hand brake, temp etc and nothing.. it went off before I could find a place to pull over. Carried on with my journey as normal. No sign of it since.

Checking the book it says if the light comes on take note of the message displayed in the instrument cluster.

The display never changed from live fuel consumption all the while I was driving.. ideas?

I'd take it in If I had to but as a previous lift engineer I know what intermittent logic faults are like and at £70 a pop at VW for diagnostic tests(I heard this figure a few times) I'm not confident.

Thoughts? common?
SRGTD
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: 2020 AW Polo GTI+, Pure White.

Re: warning light came on today

Post by SRGTD »

Not had it on my car.

Manual refers to a red or yellow triangle enclosing an exclamation mark, rather than an orange one (page 23). Was (or is) a message displayed on the infotainment screen under the car settings - vehicle status screen? If not, then a fault code may have been stored by the car. If you know someone with VCDS or similar scan tool, they would be able to scan your car to get details of any fault codes as I suspect that’s all the dealer would do for the £70 diagnostic charge.
grazuncle2
Silver Member

Post by grazuncle2 »

Thanks SRGTD

Ok.. yellow LOL

No messages and I did look :) I presume i could get VCDS (access to the history) for less that £70? I need advice on this.. I'm OK at learning new stuff if pointed in the right direction.

Thanks for replying
Harrihealey02
Bronze Member
Drives: 2018 SEL

Post by Harrihealey02 »

You said it was a steep winding road you were travelling down, this could have caused the water level in your screenwash tank to trigger the low level warning as this coincides with the yellow triangle you saw. When you levelled off the water level would have stabilised and stopped the low level warning. Check your screen wash and top up as necessary. If there’s no warning logged in the ecu which you can scan with any cheap Bluetooth ECU device it should be nothing to worry about.
SRGTD
Drives: 2020 AW Polo GTI+, Pure White.

Post by SRGTD »

As far as I know you only get a low washer fluid warning light if the car has the optional winter pack, so unless the OP’s car has this option (heated front seats and low washer fluid warning light), it’s unlikely that low washer fluid level would have triggered a ‘priority 2’ warning.
grazuncle2
Silver Member

Post by grazuncle2 »

Thanks for taking an interest.

I'd gladly get a scanner of some description if someone can point me in the right direction, please?

Thanks all.
Stuart_Rendall
Bronze Member
Drives: Polo GTI+

Post by Stuart_Rendall »

grazuncle2 wrote: Tue Jun 15, 2021 10:24 pm Thanks for taking an interest.

I'd gladly get a scanner of some description if someone can point me in the right direction, please?

Thanks all.
Just any OBD scanner with Blutooth on ebay, amazon, or at a local hardware store will do. No need to spend anymore than £10. They all do pretty much the same thing. Or you can use OBD Eleven which is more indepth with coding etc.
RUM4MO
Drives: B8 S4 & 6R/6C1 1.2TSI 110

Post by RUM4MO »

Stuart_Rendall wrote: Wed Jun 16, 2021 7:37 am Just any OBD scanner with Blutooth on ebay, amazon, or at a local hardware store will do. No need to spend anymore than £10. They all do pretty much the same thing. Or you can use OBD Eleven which is more indepth with coding etc.
Hum, seeing would be believing, typical generic OBD2 scan tools will normally only reveal emissions fault codes, this one could be another VW Group specific non emissions fault code so money and time wasted.
grazuncle2
Silver Member

Post by grazuncle2 »

Just a thought crossed my mind..

the warning light was not in the engine symbol... a warning triangle.

an OBDII scanner.. basic only.. will just tell me if there is an engine fault.. or am i barking up the wrong tree.. LOL

Are the triangle codes for other things than engine faults.. I'm out of my depth here
RUM4MO
Drives: B8 S4 & 6R/6C1 1.2TSI 110

Post by RUM4MO »

Like I said, a basic OBD2 scan tool will only reveal any of the mandated universal emissions related fault codes across all the modern marques of cars, that is what the initial requirement was for these OBD2 codes.
Andy Beats
Drives: Nissan Leaf 40KW (and Polo United)

Post by Andy Beats »

grazuncle2 wrote: Fri Jun 18, 2021 2:24 pm Just a thought crossed my mind..

the warning light was not in the engine symbol... a warning triangle.

an OBDII scanner.. basic only.. will just tell me if there is an engine fault.. or am i barking up the wrong tree.. LOL

Are the triangle codes for other things than engine faults.. I'm out of my depth here
Look here

viewtopic.php?f=71&t=73398

To find out what the triangle is warning you about, press CAR on the big screen above the gear lever and then press VEHICLE STATUS
IMO buying an OBD scanner for this is completely unnecessary.
grazuncle2
Silver Member

Post by grazuncle2 »

I'll be certain to try that out..!

Thank you replying
Harrihealey02
Bronze Member

Post by Harrihealey02 »

I use an obd2 scanner, it’s made by a company called Carly. It’s designed to work on VW specific codes and has found some which the plug and play generic obd2 scan tool which I have couldn’t see. May be worth a look? https://www.mycarly.com/plan/?c=GB&b=vag&n=Volkswagen

It’s pricey at £93.89, but May be worth it. You can also code your car with it.
grazuncle2
Silver Member

Post by grazuncle2 »

Thanks for the link..

I did try what Andy Beats mentioned.. Vehicle Status

There were no messages or warnings there...

Whatever it was I am no wiser. I'll have to keep an eye on this
Harrihealey02
Bronze Member

Post by Harrihealey02 »

Usually if the warning light disappears it means the fault it recognised has resolved itself and it isn’t a high priority one that will need a reset. You’ve got the right idea, monitor it and see if it comes again. The fact it wasn’t a red triangle is a good sign it’s not something very important.