Dash rattle

Chat about your 2018+ AW/BZ model Polos here!
monkeyhanger
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: Audi A4 Avant Quattro 40 TDI, Polo GTI+

Re: Dash rattle

Post by monkeyhanger »

golfhappy wrote: Thu Jul 01, 2021 6:32 pm Ah huvnae din it yet but ah read on here, is it no a bit o paper doon the side o the button? ah ken if ah hear the rattle and e pull the button tae the side it stops. Am just turning the music up, in the auld days it was always the cure.
A folded up piece of paper pushed up the gap between button and hole has done it before on a Golf.
golfhappy
New
Drives: mk10 polo gti+

Post by golfhappy »

That's the fix in place. Tightens it up.
Andy Beats
Drives: Nissan Leaf 40KW (and Polo United)

Post by Andy Beats »

I remember the fix in my 2005 Audi A3 saying 'handbrake button packed out'
That must be what they meant, rammed a piece of paper up there.
BigChrisG
New
Drives: Polo GTI

Post by BigChrisG »

POLO Clive wrote: Tue Jun 22, 2021 6:37 am It's worth checking the handbrake knob, the rattle from this sounds like it's coming from the dash, just try holding your finger on the handbrake button while driving to see if it stops it.

Also see here > https://www.uk-polos.net/viewtopic.php?f=71&t=74740
Thanks for you post it’s helped me find the source of the rattle! The ‘dash’ rattle has been annoying me since owning the car from new. I’ve spent ages trying to work out what the noise was. The stealer looked at it and said there was no noise. Turns out it was the handbreak button rattling which reverberated back off the dash. Hold the button to the side and it stops rattling. Will stick some black paper in there to stop it rattling permanently. Only took 2 and a half years to work it out 🤦🏻‍♂️🤣
POLO Clive
Silver Member
Drives: Polo SEL 1.0 TSI 115PS

Post by POLO Clive »

BigChrisG wrote: Sat Jul 31, 2021 11:51 am
POLO Clive wrote: Tue Jun 22, 2021 6:37 am It's worth checking the handbrake knob, the rattle from this sounds like it's coming from the dash, just try holding your finger on the handbrake button while driving to see if it stops it.

Also see here > https://www.uk-polos.net/viewtopic.php?f=71&t=74740
Thanks for you post it’s helped me find the source of the rattle! The ‘dash’ rattle has been annoying me since owning the car from new. I’ve spent ages trying to work out what the noise was. The stealer looked at it and said there was no noise. Turns out it was the handbreak button rattling which reverberated back off the dash. Hold the button to the side and it stops rattling. Will stick some black paper in there to stop it rattling permanently. Only took 2 and a half years to work it out 🤦🏻‍♂️🤣
We're all happy to help Chris, glad it only took 2½ years :lol:
TheRacingRat
Getting There!
Drives: 2020 Polo GTI+

Post by TheRacingRat »

My occasional dash rattle is coming from the silver centre handle part of the left air vent. Mainly occurs at high speed on concrete roads. I also get a occasional rattle from the drivers door interior handle surround. Unfortunately my fears that being built in South Africa (all my other golf were built in Germany) and cost cutting, fears of the build quality not being fantastic are coming true.

Had I had known Covid-19 was coming I would have sat on my money and my old car and got a Golf GTI Clubsport in a years time. Oh well hindsight is a wonderful thing.
SRGTD
Drives: 2020 AW Polo GTI+, Pure White.

Post by SRGTD »

TheRacingRat wrote: Sun Aug 01, 2021 6:07 am My occasional dash rattle is coming from the silver centre handle part of the left air vent. Mainly occurs at high speed on concrete roads. I also get a occasional rattle from the drivers door interior handle surround. Unfortunately my fears that being built in South Africa (all my other golf were built in Germany) and cost cutting, fears of the build quality not being fantastic are coming true.

Had I had known Covid-19 was coming I would have sat on my money and my old car and got a Golf GTI Clubsport in a years time. Oh well hindsight is a wonderful thing.
I have one intermittent rattle - from the open storage area just below the heating controls. It happens only very occasionally and on one particular section of road near where I live. As it’s (currently) very infrequent, it doesn’t bother me, but might do if it starts to happen more often.

I’d say the build quality and the quality of materials used in my last Polo GTI (a 2016 car built in Spain) were better than in my current car. IMO the build quality of my German built Golfs (I had three; a mk4, mk5 and mk6, all bought new) wasn’t as good as the Spanish built Polo either; all the Golfs had misaligned body panels from the factory, and on the mk4 the rear bumper inserts were the wrong colour! (solid flat black when they should’ve been Deep Black Pearl pearlescent). I’ve owned Vauxhalls in 1990’s that IMO were equally as good as the Golfs were in terms of quality of assembly and some were better, so in my experience the so called legendary VW German build quality is a bit of a myth.

The mk8 Golf GTI Clubsport isn’t immune from cost cutting; VW will have an objective to maximise profits and one way of doing that will be to cut production costs. Cost cutting measures evident on the mk8 Golf are the omission of certain features that were present in the mk7/mk7.5 - e.g. gas bonnet strut, sunglasses holder, sliding cover over cup holders, storage cubby in lower dash near drivers knee (there are probably others too), and there’s greater use of less tactile, less soft touch interior materials. I personally don’t like the minimalist interior of the mk8 Golf either, that’s devoid of conventional controls for basic functions, and the current software gremlins in the mk8 would be a major annoyance to me.
Last edited by SRGTD on Sun Aug 01, 2021 7:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
Stuart_Rendall
Bronze Member
Drives: Polo GTI+

Post by Stuart_Rendall »

I have a rattle in mine, she sits in the passenger seat and doesn't shut up :D
SRGTD
Drives: 2020 AW Polo GTI+, Pure White.

Post by SRGTD »

SRGTD wrote: Sun Aug 01, 2021 7:27 am
TheRacingRat wrote: Sun Aug 01, 2021 6:07 am My occasional dash rattle is coming from the silver centre handle part of the left air vent. Mainly occurs at high speed on concrete roads. I also get a occasional rattle from the drivers door interior handle surround. Unfortunately my fears that being built in South Africa (all my other golf were built in Germany) and cost cutting, fears of the build quality not being fantastic are coming true.

I have one intermittent rattle - from the open storage area just below the heating controls. It happens only very occasionally and on one particular section of road near where I live. As it’s (currently) very infrequent, it doesn’t bother me, but might do if it starts to happen more often.
Since posting the above, the rattling noise started happening more frequently ☹️, so I was determined to find it. I tracked it down and found it wasn’t from the storage cubby below the heating controls, it was from items I had in the glovebox but as others have found, unwanted noise sources can originate from somewhere completely different or where you think they’re coming from.

I thought I’d packed the items in the glove box carefully enough so there weren’t any loose items that could rattle, but I’d not done a good enough job 😀. It’s a shame the glovebox isn’t felt lined like it is in the mk7.5 (and earlier models of the) Golf to minimise the chances of the glovebox contents rattling against the hard plastic. The mk8 Golf also has to make do without a felt lined glovebox too.

It’s nice to have a rattle-free driving experience, although I’m realistic enough to realise that other unwanted noises may develop over time as the car gets older and the miles increase.
Iamnotbarry
New
Drives: GTi+ (aw)

Post by Iamnotbarry »

Andy Beats wrote: Fri Jun 25, 2021 11:02 am I'm liking the ECO setting for the exhaust, much less chav.
But what exactly does 'sport' do to the steering, apart from make me feel like the tyres are mega soft?
bit late on this...

but this is from the VW website on different modes;
"Driver Profile Selection enables you to choose different settings that will change both your car’s performance and your driving experience – all at the push of a button1.

You can quickly and easily select one of the five driving modes using the touchscreen and change between normal, comfortable, sporty, individual or eco style. So depending on what type of driver you are and your driving situation, you’ll be able to tailor the car to your requirements.

Want to drive in a more environmentally friendly way with less fuel consumption and emissions? Eco driving mode helps you do just that by optimising your engine and gearbox performance to save fuel. And it even reduces your air conditioning’s power consumption too.

You can also set your car up for a sportier ride. Sports mode modifies the steering torque and produces a faster response with the accelerator pedal, steering and front lighting system. It also activates the seat belt tensioners and switches the dual-clutch gearbox DSG to “S” position.

Individual mode let’s you customise settings according to your own preferences. So you can tweak things like steering and accelerator pedal response, dynamic cornering lights and adaptive cruise control."