Dash rattle

Chat about your 2018+ AW/BZ model Polos here!
golfhappy
New
Drives: mk10 polo gti+

Dash rattle

Post by golfhappy »

Hi just bought a polo gti+ and it has the dash vibration, tried in individual mode selecting eco, did nothing. I see that if you have VCDS you can set that sound aktor down to zero. Another is to disconnect it. Location??? notice i've been a member since 2016?
Andy Beats
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: Nissan Leaf 40KW (and Polo United)

Re: Dash rattle

Post by Andy Beats »

Dash vibration?
I have an annoying dash vibration/buzz that has appeared, is it a common thing?
I don't understand how changing driving mode would help?
SRGTD
Drives: 2020 AW Polo GTI+, Pure White.

Post by SRGTD »

In individual mode, if the engine noise is set to ‘sport’. then the volume of the fake engine noise generator thingy (the soundaktor) is louder. It’s a known issue in the Golf that when engine noise = ‘sport’, the soundaktor can create an annoying dash vibration - in ‘eco’ or with the soundaktor set to zero using VCDS or disconnecting it completely, it often stops annoying dash vibrations.

I don’t like the fake engine noise; I’ve always had the engine sound set to ‘eco’ and haven’t ever had any annoying dash vibrations.

@golfhappy - discussion thread at the link below shows the location of the soundaktor in the Polo;
viewtopic.php?t=74939
Andy Beats

Post by Andy Beats »

SRGTD wrote: Mon Jun 21, 2021 2:33 pm In individual mode, if the engine noise is set to ‘sport’. then the volume of the fake engine noise generator thingy (the soundaktor) is louder. It’s a known issue in the Golf that when engine noise = ‘sport’, the soundaktor can create an annoying dash vibration - in ‘eco’ or with the soundaktor set to zero using VCDS or disconnecting it completely, it often stops annoying dash vibrations.

I don’t like the fake engine noise; I’ve always had the engine sound set to ‘eco’ and haven’t ever had any annoying dash vibrations.

@golfhappy - discussion thread at the link below shows the location of the soundaktor in the Polo;
viewtopic.php?t=74939
Interesting.
I've never tried sport mode and only briefly looked at individual.
I'll have to try the exhaust note to 'ECO' thing as our youngest doesn't like loud noises and hates when I put my foot down in my car.
I recently discovered her objection to me driving fast isn't the speed, it's the exhaust noise that goes with it.
golfhappy
New

Post by golfhappy »

Cheers for the info i'll give it a go. If no success i'll get them to look when it goes in for the first service.

Waiting on a Milltek exhaust for it. First time i've had a car with DSG. Give good fuel economy when in drive mode, can't complain when you put it in sport and manual.
was toying with a tune Celtic tuning, just toying tho!
POLO Clive
Silver Member
Drives: Polo SEL 1.0 TSI 115PS

Post by POLO Clive »

It's worth checking the handbrake knob, the rattle from this sounds like it's coming from the dash, just try holding your finger on the handbrake button while driving to see if it stops it.

Also see here > https://www.uk-polos.net/viewtopic.php?f=71&t=74740
Last edited by POLO Clive on Wed Jun 30, 2021 5:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Andy Beats

Post by Andy Beats »

POLO Clive wrote: Tue Jun 22, 2021 6:37 am It's worth checking the handbrake knob, the rattle from this sounds like it's coming from the dash, just try holding your finger on the handbrake know while driving to see if it stops it.

Also see here > https://www.uk-polos.net/viewtopic.php?f=71&t=74740
My 2005 Audi A3 had a dash rattle which was traced to the handbrake button.
Nice to see VAG have learned things since 2005.....
Andy Beats

Post by Andy Beats »

I'm liking the ECO setting for the exhaust, much less chav.
But what exactly does 'sport' do to the steering, apart from make me feel like the tyres are mega soft?
SRGTD
Drives: 2020 AW Polo GTI+, Pure White.

Post by SRGTD »

Andy Beats wrote: Fri Jun 25, 2021 11:02 am I'm liking the ECO setting for the exhaust, much less chav.
But what exactly does 'sport' do to the steering, apart from make me feel like the tyres are mega soft?
Agree; mine has been in ECO for the engine noise since the day I collected the car last September.

Having the steering in ‘sport’ makes it feel heavier that it does in ‘Normal’ mode. I don’t think it gives more steering feel though; IMO it just makes it feel heavier. I don’t like overly light steering, so I’ve have mine set to ‘sport’; this was something else I changed on day 1 of ownership.
monkeyhanger
Drives: Audi A4 Avant Quattro 40 TDI, Polo GTI+

Post by monkeyhanger »

SRGTD wrote: Fri Jun 25, 2021 11:08 am
Andy Beats wrote: Fri Jun 25, 2021 11:02 am I'm liking the ECO setting for the exhaust, much less chav.
Agree; mine has been in ECO for the engine noise since the day I collected the car last September.

Having the steering in ‘sport’ makes it feel heavier that it does in ‘Normal’ mode. I don’t think it gives more steering feel though; IMO it just makes it feel heavier. I don’t like overly light steering, so I’ve have mine set to ‘sport’; this was something else I changed on day 1 of ownership.
The steering has variable lock to lock ratio depending on how fast you're driving, in all modes (shorter ratio in parking manoeuvre than doing 80mph down the motorway. Sport offers additional wright also.
Andy Beats

Post by Andy Beats »

SRGTD wrote: Fri Jun 25, 2021 11:08 am Having the steering in ‘sport’ makes it feel heavier that it does in ‘Normal’ mode. I don’t think it gives more steering feel though; IMO it just makes it feel heavier. I don’t like overly light steering, so I’ve have mine set to ‘sport’; this was something else I changed on day 1 of ownership.
Yeah, it just feels like heavy like the tyres are under-inflated, it's done sweet FA to the feeling.
I'll put it back to normal.
golfhappy
New

Post by golfhappy »

Hi update: was the handbrake button, sounded like was from the dash. I've hot put the fix in yet...but of paper down side of button? also got a buzz coming from which i think is the soundaktor.
Andy Beats

Post by Andy Beats »

Dash rattle/buzz was back today, so I placed my finger on the handbrake button.
Yup, rattle gone.... :roll:
Andy Beats

Post by Andy Beats »

Anyone got any tips for stopping the button rattle?
It's annoying, but cannot be bothered booking it in for that.
Thought about taping it over, ignoring the handbrake and just using 'P' to park the car, but it's not ideal and I don't like that 'rock' you get when using P only.
golfhappy
New

Post by golfhappy »

Ah huvnae din it yet but ah read on here, is it no a bit o paper doon the side o the button? ah ken if ah hear the rattle and e pull the button tae the side it stops. Am just turning the music up, in the auld days it was always the cure.