Broken rear window switch

Chat about your 2018+ AW/BZ model Polos here!
Andy Beats
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: Nissan Leaf 40KW (and Polo United)

Broken rear window switch

Post by Andy Beats »

Daughter said the other day that she couldn't get her window down, turns out the switch is just 'flopping around' like it's not connected to anything.
Anyone else had there's break?
It'll wait for the service, it's not something I want the hassle of going to the dealer about specially.
Stuart_Rendall
Bronze Member
Drives: Polo GTI+

Re: Broken rear window switch

Post by Stuart_Rendall »

Andy Beats wrote: Tue Jul 13, 2021 9:08 am Daughter said the other day that she couldn't get her window down, turns out the switch is just 'flopping around' like it's not connected to anything.
It'll wait for the service, it's not something I want the hassle of going to the dealer about specially.
Never had this happen but should he fairly easy to fix. I think they just pop out with a trim tool and have a connector on the back. Not too sure if VW will fix this under warranty.
monkeyhanger
Drives: Audi A4 Avant Quattro 40 TDI, Polo GTI+

Post by monkeyhanger »

Stuart_Rendall wrote: Tue Jul 13, 2021 11:31 am
Andy Beats wrote: Tue Jul 13, 2021 9:08 am Daughter said the other day that she couldn't get her window down, turns out the switch is just 'flopping around' like it's not connected to anything.
Never had this happen but should he fairly easy to fix. I think they just pop out with a trim tool and have a connector on the back. Not too sure if VW will fix this under warranty.
Hopefully they will. The only reason not to is if they claimed that someone was overly heavy handed in pulling on the switch to get the window to go up and brake the clip holding it into its recess.
Andy Beats
Drives: Nissan Leaf 40KW (and Polo United)

Post by Andy Beats »

The switch is still in-situ and 'pivoting' fine.
There's just no resistance/spring to it any more, and it's not working the window.
I can still work it from the front, so no issue with the motor.
TBH I'm wondering if it's been like this since I got the windows tinted, I so rarely have family in the back because they all hate my car :D
MilgeS
Silver Member
Drives: R-Line and Gti+

Post by MilgeS »

Happened on my R-Line a little while ago, changed the switch unit under warranty without any questions. Recently the tip of my GTI window switch snapped off, that was changed yesterday at service, looks like the part just clips on/off, they didn't changed the whole switch unit like before.