Polo to learn to drive in

Chat about your 2018+ AW/BZ model Polos here!
breeza
New
Drives: Reflex silver SEL 110ps

Polo to learn to drive in

Post by breeza »

Hi,

My current Golf GTI lease is ending and my son is turning 17 soon so want to swap it out for something that he will be able to easily learn to drive in. My first thought was a polo, was thinking anything from 2014 onwards would be OK.

I see that the newer 2018 models are a lower insurance group and have a better safety rating which will probably help. I haven't test-driven either so after some opinions on if it would be worth spending the extra on the newer version bearing in mind I will also be driving around in it?

Thanks in advance.
Andy Beats
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: Nissan Leaf 40KW (and Polo United)

Re: Polo to learn to drive in

Post by Andy Beats »

The Mk6 (AW model) Polo is far better than the Mk5 (6R model) car in terms of interior.
The Mk5 one looks so old-fashioned now with it's small middle height screen, the big high-lvel screen of the newer model is a minimum these days.
In other terms, I doubt anyone would be able to tell the difference in terms of actual driving.
Funnily enough I'm sourcing a Polo for my 18YO daughter and would rather spend Mk5 money, but have to concede the MK6 is much more modern and worth the extra.
RUM4MO
Drives: B8 S4 & 6R/6C1 1.2TSI 110

Post by RUM4MO »

If considering an earlier model of Polo, I'd suggest buying something form 2015 onwards as the original 6R changed to a 6C at late 2014 in UK market and the change was significant in terms of "electronic package" and the introduction of the belt driven 1.2TSI engines.
MilgeS
Silver Member
Drives: R-Line and Gti+

Post by MilgeS »

breeza wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 2:15 pm Hi,

My current Golf GTI lease is ending and my son is turning 17 soon so want to swap it out for something that he will be able to easily learn to drive in. My first thought was a polo, was thinking anything from 2014 onwards would be OK.

I see that the newer 2018 models are a lower insurance group and have a better safety rating which will probably help. I haven't test-driven either so after some opinions on if it would be worth spending the extra on the newer version bearing in mind I will also be driving around in it?

Thanks in advance.
It's a great car for learners, you will notice the gears are long and takes a bit of getting going but once up and running it's a lovely drive.
Andy Beats

Post by Andy Beats »

Just a thought but, for the first time ever, over 50% of learners are requesting automatics (tweet about it a couple of weeks back)
Either electric cars or automatic ICE cars with a view to them getting electric cars
Quite sensible thinking on their part, manuals will be a thing of the past relatively soon, so what is the point in learning in one.
So if he insists on still getting an ICE (you'd easily get an electric car for Polo money), maybe a DSG model is the one to go for.
SRGTD
Drives: 2020 AW Polo GTI+, Pure White.

Post by SRGTD »

Andy Beats wrote: Thu Jul 22, 2021 9:06 am Just a thought but, for the first time ever, over 50% of learners are requesting automatics (tweet about it a couple of weeks back)
Either electric cars or automatic ICE cars with a view to them getting electric cars
Quite sensible thinking on their part, manuals will be a thing of the past relatively soon, so what is the point in learning in one.
So if he insists on still getting an ICE (you'd easily get an electric car for Polo money), maybe a DSG model is the one to go for.
Yes, sadly (IMO) manuals are a dying breed.

However, we’re still some way off from the time when all manual cars are consigned to history. So from a learner driver’s perspective, I still think there’s merit in learning to drive in a manual as that gives you the option of being able to drive both manual or auto, whereas learning and passing the driving test in an auto and that’s all you can legally drive. There maybe occasions - certainly in the short to medium term before auto becomes the only option - when having a licence that covers driving a manual car has value; e.g. having a job that requires a person to drive a works vehicle with manual transmission, needing to drive someone else’s (manual) car in an emergency situation, hiring a car or getting a garage courtesy car and only manuals are available.

If I was a youngster and was now considering learning to drive, I’d learn in a manual. Wind the clock forward 7-8 years and I may have a different view.
Andy Beats

Post by Andy Beats »

SRGTD wrote: Thu Jul 22, 2021 9:44 am If I was a youngster and was now considering learning to drive, I’d learn in a manual. Wind the clock forward 7-8 years and I may have a different view.
I can't say how I'd think if I was a learner now, it's impossible to turn a 54YO mind into that of a 17YO
But the evidence is clear the actual youngsters are turning their backs on manuals.
The argument that it 'might come in handy' to have a manual licence is pretty moot 99% of the time.
We have a UK resident Canadian friend who's laughed at the UK's obsession with manuals for many years, she has an auto-only licence and there's not been a single scenario where she's been caught out wishing she had a manual one.
Stuart_Rendall
Bronze Member
Drives: Polo GTI+

Post by Stuart_Rendall »

Andy Beats wrote: Thu Jul 22, 2021 12:13 pm
SRGTD wrote: Thu Jul 22, 2021 9:44 am If I was a youngster and was now considering learning to drive, I’d learn in a manual. Wind the clock forward 7-8 years and I may have a different view.
I can't say how I'd think if I was a learner now, it's impossible to turn a 54YO mind into that of a 17YO
But the evidence is clear the actual youngsters are turning their backs on manuals.
The argument that it 'might come in handy' to have a manual licence is pretty moot 99% of the time.
We have a UK resident Canadian friend who's laughed at the UK's obsession with manuals for many years, she has an auto-only licence and there's not been a single scenario where she's been caught out wishing she had a manual one.
My little brother (19), girlfriend (21), and her little brother (19) are all currently learning to drive and have all opted for manuals. I passed 4 and a half years ago in a manual, my sister passed 2 years ago in a manual and 2 of my close friends are taking lessons in manuals. I think in the real world not many people actually learn in autos. I would be interested to know the source of the tweet that stated 50% are taking auto. Even if you do a quick search for driving instructors its manual 10-1 over autos. I suppose a key factor being autos are much more expensive when buying a cheap used car as a first runner or to learn in. I know if I had the choice again to learn I would still 100% choose manual.
breeza
New

Post by breeza »

Thanks for your advice.

We will be sharing the car at least initially so leaning towards a 2018 manual.
Andy Beats

Post by Andy Beats »

Stuart_Rendall wrote: Thu Jul 22, 2021 12:37 pm I would be interested to know the source of the tweet that stated 50% are taking auto.
It was a tweet from some driving instructor association or other that was retweeted by an electric car twitter account.
tom.wright
New
Drives: 2023 Polo GTI, Pure White

Post by tom.wright »

I still think it's beneficial to learn to drive in a manual. If anything because apart from in the US most rental cars around the world will be manual as standard unless you pay a lot extra for an auto. It's a good skill to learn and is something that really once you've mastered it you never really forget how to do, like riding a bike as they say. I've owned an auto for a while now and haven't driven a manual for some years but still would feel fairly confident if I had to drive one again.

Having said that, I MUCH prefer driving an auto as a regular drive! Even after some years I would still stress about clutch control in heavy traffic and gears on steep hills and getting an auto took all that away so all you have to focus on is the road ahead. I can totally understand why increasing numbers these days are abandoning manuals. I also don't understand the elitism that some manual drivers feel when you tell them you drive an auto and they scoff as if to suggest that it's not a 'proper car' :roll:
Andy Beats

Post by Andy Beats »

tom.wright wrote: Fri Jul 23, 2021 3:57 pm It's a good skill to learn
This is the whole crux of the matter, it's quickly becoming a completely unnecessary skill to have.
Merc are the latest one to say all their cars will be electric by 2030, things are moving apace.
So you can see why youngsters are thinking "what's the point"
monkeyhanger
Drives: Audi A4 Avant Quattro 40 TDI, Polo GTI+

Post by monkeyhanger »

Even in 2030 there'll be a lot of manual cars around, more so at the lower end of pricing as well used examples - the kind that are in the price range of a lot of new 17/18 year old drivers paying a fortune for their insurance.
breeza
New

Post by breeza »

OK all sorted. New Reflex silver SEL 110ps manual on its way in the next couple of weeks. Worked out less expensive than a year old VW approved one.

Need a boot liner for the dog and was going to grab one of these but its out of stock everywhere.
https://www.driveden.com/product/gledri ... -floor-271
Any other recommendations?
SRGTD
Drives: 2020 AW Polo GTI+, Pure White.

Post by SRGTD »

breeza wrote: Tue Aug 03, 2021 7:32 am OK all sorted. New Reflex silver SEL 110ps manual on its way in the next couple of weeks. Worked out less expensive than a year old VW approved one.

Need a boot liner for the dog and was going to grab one of these but its out of stock everywhere.
https://www.driveden.com/product/gledri ... -floor-271
Any other recommendations?
I have one of these and it’s currently in stock from the same retailer website;

https://www.driveden.com/product/novlin ... -floor-251

It’s less expensive (£25.95) than the one you were looking at and the (four) reviews are good. The raised oval shaped dimples in the pattern have a slightly ‘rough’ finish to them which stops items sliding around. I’ve had this liner in my car since last September and with the exception of a few scuff marks from daily use, it’s as good as new. IMO it’s better than the foam type OEM VW boot liner and quite a bit cheaper.

Driveden do fee delivery on orders over £30 but as this boot liner is less than £30, there’d be a £3.99 postage charge (total cost £29.94 incl postage). However, Driveden also have an eBay shop and you can buy this same liner for £27.99 on eBay with free delivery (I bought mine off eBay at the cheaper overall price - I think it was also discounted on eBay at that time).

Link to the eBay listing below - interestingly, this liner is referred to as ‘Raised Floor Dog Mat’ on eBay, so it should be suitable for dog carrying duties;

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/264082469967