Couple small mod questions (AW GTi+)

Chat about your 2018+ AW/BZ model Polos here!
Mr Wednesday
New
Drives: AW GTi+

Couple small mod questions (AW GTi+)

Post by Mr Wednesday »

Hey all, this place seems like the best place to ask these,
Was hoping to get some mud flaps for the GTi I have, anyone had any luck on theirs?
I kinda like the look of the tow loops some cars have on the front. Anyone know if this is possible on the GTi without voiding warranty/pissing off VW?
Thanks in advance!
SRGTD
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: 2020 AW Polo GTI+, Pure White.

Re: Couple small mod questions (AW GTi+)

Post by SRGTD »

There isn’t an OEM VW version of mud flaps for the Polo GTI.

Because the GTI has the black sill extensions and the ‘lip’ on the bottom of the trailing edge on the rear bumper, the standard Polo mud flaps don’t fit. It might be possible to modify the standard flaps; I don’t know of anyone who’s done this, or whether it’s possible. Alternatively, you might need to consider a universal non VW set if you really want to fit a set.

I used to be a believer in having mud flaps on a car. However, since owning Polo GTI’s from 2016 (I also had the previous generation version from 2016 to 2020) I’ve been mud flap free. IMO my car with no mud flaps doesn’t seem to get any dirtier than cars I’ve owned that had them fitted. Admittedly i don’t drive on muddy country lanes - if I did I might feel a set of mud flaps would be worthwhile. However, based on my experience of owning cars with and without mud flaps and the types of roads I drive on, I wouldn’t bother having them in future.

The tow loop isn’t my thing, but if you did fit one then presumably you’d need to attach it to the towing eye from the spare wheel kit, leave the towing eye in place and permanently remove the towing eye cover. I don’t think that would void the warranty.
Mr Wednesday
New
Drives: AW GTi+

Re: Couple small mod questions (AW GTi+)

Post by Mr Wednesday »

SRGTD wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 6:09 pm There isn’t an OEM VW version of mud flaps for the Polo GTI.

Because the GTI has the black sill extensions and the ‘lip’ on the bottom of the trailing edge on the rear bumper, the standard Polo mud flaps don’t fit. It might be possible to modify the standard flaps; I don’t know of anyone who’s done this, or whether it’s possible. Alternatively, you might need to consider a universal non VW set if you really want to fit a set.

I used to be a believer in having mud flaps on a car. However, since owning Polo GTI’s from 2016 (I also had the previous generation version from 2016 to 2020) I’ve been mud flap free. IMO my car with no mud flaps doesn’t seem to get any dirtier than cars I’ve owned that had them fitted. Admittedly i don’t drive on muddy country lanes - if I did I might feel a set of mud flaps would be worthwhile. However, based on my experience of owning cars with and without mud flaps and the types of roads I drive on, I wouldn’t bother having them in future.

The tow loop isn’t my thing, but if you did fit one then presumably you’d need to attach it to the towing eye from the spare wheel kit, leave the towing eye in place and permanently remove the towing eye cover. I don’t think that would void the warranty.
Ah righto, was thinking that may be the case RE. Mud flaps, and good shout on the eye front, I'll have to have a dig through and see what I can find!