UP GTi

Chat about your 2018+ AW/BZ model Polos here!
Andy Beats
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: Nissan Leaf 40KW (and Polo United)

UP GTi

Post by Andy Beats »

Almost positive the Polo will be going, had enough of it.
And although I really want to go electric again, there's a wee itch called the UP GTi.... :?
The dealer is doing a cracking deal on 5 door versions (£249 down and £249 a month).
Anyone driven one, and is 115bhp enough in it?
S_94
Gold Member
Drives: Polo GTI+

Re: UP GTi

Post by S_94 »

Always wanted to have a drive of one, supposed to really fun to drive.

Considering you can get a GTI+ in that price range (I'm paying £265pm for mine) with a lot more tech, don't think I'd take the Up over the Polo.
Andy Beats

Post by Andy Beats »

S_94 wrote: Thu Jul 29, 2021 10:08 am Always wanted to have a drive of one, supposed to really fun to drive.

Considering you can get a GTI+ in that price range (I'm paying £265pm for mine) with a lot more tech, don't think I'd take the Up over the Polo.
I'm around £320 for mine (£1000 down and 8000 per year).
The Up would be a good saving for my meagre commuting needs.
I probably wouldn't consider it if it weren;t for our daughter's Seat Mii, which has impressed me with its bukld quality.
Totally oblitarates the argument that small cars are tinny and unrefined.
Stuart_Rendall
Bronze Member

Post by Stuart_Rendall »

A close friend of mine was looking for one for the longest time, with the plan of getting it as a first car. Spoke very highly of it but never drove it. I know that you can remap them to 145bhp within safe limits too, and in a car that weighs as little as an up I can only imagine it will be a fun thing to drive, however £245 a month seems steep.
S_94
Gold Member

Post by S_94 »

Andy Beats wrote: Thu Jul 29, 2021 10:18 am
S_94 wrote: Thu Jul 29, 2021 10:08 am Always wanted to have a drive of one, supposed to really fun to drive.

I probably wouldn't consider it if it weren;t for our daughter's Seat Mii, which has impressed me with its bukld quality.
Remember you saying Andy you had a non + version of the GTI, £320pm seems a bit steep for that. Sure I've seen quite a few on here paying between £240-290 for a GTI+. Saying that, I did put down a £2000 deposit and 10,000 miles a year. Which is now more like 4000 miles a year. :roll:

Maybe have a test drive and see what you think. Never actually seen one on the road, but I really like the look of it.
SRGTD
Drives: 2020 AW Polo GTI+, Pure White.

Post by SRGTD »

Similar size and performance to the original mk1 Golf GTI, but the up! GTI has the benefit of modern underpinnings, so I dare say it drives and handles much better than a mk1 Golf GTI. It’s also available as a three door for those GTI aficionados who think GTI’s should be three door only.

I’ve not driven one either but yes, I’d imagine they are quite a fun little car. I quite often see one with private plates on that looks quite classy and subtle.
Andy Beats

Post by Andy Beats »

Stuart_Rendall wrote: Thu Jul 29, 2021 10:45 am however £245 a month seems steep.
Only £245 deposit though, the monthlies have to be kept in context.
Andy Beats

Post by Andy Beats »

S_94 wrote: Thu Jul 29, 2021 10:49 am Maybe have a test drive and see what you think. Never actually seen one on the road, but I really like the look of it.
Not sure that's a good idea....
Wetherfell
New
Drives: None at present

Post by Wetherfell »

Andy Beats wrote: Thu Jul 29, 2021 10:18 am

Coincidentally my Mrs has had a Mii for almost 7 years now and we've been similarly impressed with it.

She (well, me really!) was wondering about the Up! GTI as an eventual replacement so I had a quick test drive to see what I thought, just before Covid.

Bit disappointed really, nothing specifically "wrong", but just didn't seem as much fun as I expected. It's slightly less power (but also less weight of course) than the 140ps Fiesta I currently drive, so I anticipated it would be about the same or slightly quicker performance-wise, but the Fiesta definitely seemed more lively when I took it round the same test route for comparison purposes afterwards. Could just have been a bit "tight" I suppose.

As always, I would definitely recommend you trying it for yourself.
monkeyhanger
Drives: Audi A4 Avant Quattro 40 TDI, Polo GTI+

Post by monkeyhanger »

I've driven an Up GTI - kind of looks the part but isn't quick. It's "excitement" comes from the fear of tipping it over on a bend as its got such a short wheel base.

My mate has a19 year old Lupo GTI and it's a far better car (apart from being quite thirsty for what it is. With the old Lupo having 140hp and weighing next to nowt, the Up is a bit poor in comparison.
Andy Beats

Post by Andy Beats »

Very good offer made on my GTi, more than I'm owe - so it's definitely going whatever I choose to do next. :D
Off tomorrow (and next week) so going to do the sale and drive the UP.
German_Fartbox
New
Drives: Polo GTI 2.0 DSG (2020)

Post by German_Fartbox »

Seen them on the road a few times. I see one regular on my way to work in red. Personally I think it looks hideous and at 115 I would rather just get a 115 Polo, losing loads of room and practicality for what? £250 a month seems mental for what it is. I pay £290pm for my GTI, £180pm on my last 95ps Polo.

Each to there own I suppose. Hope you're happy with whatever you get of course :)
tom.wright
New
Drives: 2023 Polo GTI, Pure White

Post by tom.wright »

Are they still only available as Manual?

Can't be bothered with that! :lol:
Leif
Silver Member
Drives: SE 95 PS

Post by Leif »

I had the standard Up for six years, I loved it, cleverly designed, cheap to run, surprisingly spacious. However, it just doesn’t grip the road like a Polo, presumably a combination of short wheel base, and light weight. It was noticeably noisier than my Polo, and it did have exposed metal panels inside. The Polo is a more refined car, with equivalent fuel consumption, and a more pleasant ride. Not as fun for sure, but fun wears off on a daily commute, where comfort wins. For short journeys, and where finding a parking space matters, the Up wins, it is the better shopping trolley.
Andy Beats

Post by Andy Beats »

Didn’t bother with the UP, had to satisfy my desire to get back into an EV.