GTi gone (woohoo!)

Chat about your 2018+ AW/BZ model Polos here!
Andy Beats
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: Nissan Leaf 40KW (and Polo United)

Re: GTi gone (woohoo!)

Post by Andy Beats »

Stuart_Rendall wrote: Wed Aug 25, 2021 9:06 pm
I have used Motorway and they have connected me to a dealer. Selling the car for £19922 tomorrow all going well. I can't see it not happening tbh, car is in immaculate condition.
What you getting instead?
Was it you that mentioned an EV MG or am I getting mixed up?
Stuart_Rendall
Bronze Member
Drives: Polo GTI+

Post by Stuart_Rendall »

Andy Beats wrote: Thu Aug 26, 2021 12:19 pm What you getting instead?
Was it you that mentioned an EV MG or am I getting mixed up?
EV MG wasn't me, I would only consider an EV if it was a company vehicle. I have purchased a Golf R coming after the weekend all going well. 2017 mk7.5 pre-opf model in Atlantic Blue, Pretorias, Keyless, usual spec etc. Already have an exhaust lined up. I'm still young, not ready to give myself to the EV's yet, although they are appealing.
Andy Beats

Post by Andy Beats »

Stuart_Rendall wrote: Thu Aug 26, 2021 2:50 pm

EV MG wasn't me, I would only consider an EV if it was a company vehicle. I have purchased a Golf R coming after the weekend all going well. 2017 mk7.5 pre-opf model in Atlantic Blue, Pretorias, Keyless, usual spec etc. Already have an exhaust lined up. I'm still young, not ready to give myself to the EV's yet, although they are appealing.
I'd have thought young meant more open to EVs, I'd have thought it was my age group (+50) that was reluctant to change.
lancslad1985
Gold Member
Drives: 2020 polo gti plus

Post by lancslad1985 »

Andy Beats wrote: Thu Aug 26, 2021 3:37 pm

I'd have thought young meant more open to EVs, I'd have thought it was my age group (+50) that was reluctant to change.
Most young people can’t afford the pcp costs of an EV. I could get a golf gti on pcp for the price of an id3 when I looked earlier this year. All the people I know that have bought an EV have been 50+ with people my age (mid 30s) on family cars or hot hatchbacks.
Stuart_Rendall
Bronze Member

Post by Stuart_Rendall »

lancslad1985 wrote: Thu Aug 26, 2021 6:13 pm
Andy Beats wrote: Thu Aug 26, 2021 3:37 pm I'd have thought young meant more open to EVs, I'd have thought it was my age group (+50) that was reluctant to change.
Most young people can’t afford the pcp costs of an EV.
They are too expensive at the moment for me but i'm 22 and in a few years i'll be forced into an EV anyway so i'll enjoy the ICE's a little longer before I make the leap. Also home charging is difficult at the moment with too many vehicles on the drive at any 1 time would mean shifting multiple cars every night.
monkeyhanger
Drives: Audi A4 Avant Quattro 40 TDI, Polo GTI+

Post by monkeyhanger »

Most young people can’t afford the pcp costs of an EV. I could get a golf gti on pcp for the price of an id3 when I looked earlier this year. All the people I know that have bought an EV have been 50+ with people my age (mid 30s) on family cars or hot hatchbacks.
If you can charge at home, the fuelling costs will really balance out the high PCP. My fuel bill for running 2 cars was averaging £220 per month. Now its about £19 per month. Think about what you're spending on fuel and 90% of that could be saved and put towards offsetting your PCP. I do stress though that's IF.you can charge at home and don't have a convenient and hardly ever used free Scottish public charger.

I did like my Golf R (Prets, Lapiz Blue, Manual). Very fast when pushed hard, very capable, maybe a bit too capable - there's no real fun to be had because it doesn't feel as fast as it is, and as a result, it feels a bit sterile at non-license losing speeds.

You do have to push the car hard though. That engine only really comes alive at 5k revs where it gets a second wind that the normal Golf GTI doesn't get.
Stuart_Rendall
Bronze Member

Post by Stuart_Rendall »

monkeyhanger wrote: Thu Aug 26, 2021 7:11 pm If you can charge at home, the fuelling costs will really balance out the high PCP. My fuel bill for running 2 cars was averaging £220 per month. Now its about £19 per month. Think about what you're spending on fuel and 90% of that could be saved and put towards offsetting your PCP. I do stress though that's IF.you can charge at home and don't have a convenient and hardly ever used free Scottish public charger.

I did like my Golf R (Prets, Lapiz Blue, Manual). Very fast when pushed hard, very capable, maybe a bit too capable - there's no real fun to be had because it doesn't feel as fast as it is, and as a result, it feels a bit sterile at non-license losing speeds.

You do have to push the car hard though. That engine only really comes alive at 5k revs where it gets a second wind that the normal Golf GTI doesn't get.
I still live with my parents, my mum has already stressed her next car will be an EV so she gets the better parking spot. Because of that makes charging at home difficult with moving cars all the time so for now i'm happy with the Golf. Been wanting a Golf R for about 5 years now so i've gone for it.
lancslad1985
Gold Member

Post by lancslad1985 »

monkeyhanger wrote: Thu Aug 26, 2021 7:11 pm

If you can charge at home, the fuelling costs will really balance out the high PCP. My fuel bill for running 2 cars was averaging £220 per month. Now its about £19 per month. Think about what you're spending on fuel and 90% of that could be saved and put towards offsetting your PCP. I do stress though that's IF.you can charge at home and don't have a convenient and hardly ever used free Scottish public charger.

Oh I don’t doubt that the ‘fuel’ price offsets it, but I do 62 miles a day to work and back and some days i do 80 plus miles with golf after work. Most EVs have a shorter range and the more expensive ones (eg ID3) still are only about 200 miles. We regularly go for weekends in Scotland (300+ miles) and south coast (400+ miles) so until I can get an EV that I don’t have to spend forever at the services I’m not interested.

Not to mention I can’t charge at work and accessible charging points round me are very low in number. I’m quite happy with my Tiguan that easily does 500 miles to the tank and take five minutes to fill up once every two/three weeks depending on weekend journeys.

The ID3 looks a lovely car, but I just don’t desire one when I could get a golf gti for the same purchase price. Same with the Tesla’s, nice cars but I don’t ‘want’ one, much rather have a fast Audi or BMW for the same money.

I get it for people that they suit in terms of lifestyle, but they’re also a con in terms of pollution - sure, nothing comes out the tailpipe but the electricity comes from coal/oil/gas power stations and the rare metals they use for manufacture etc are far worse. Hydrogen will be the way forward, but all the IP and patents are owned by the oil companies.

I guess I see the positives and negatives of electrics and I don’t like the negatives. For me personally they outweigh the positives.
monkeyhanger

Post by monkeyhanger »

lancslad1985 wrote: Thu Aug 26, 2021 7:26 pm
Oh I don’t doubt that the ‘fuel’ price offsets it, but I do 62 miles a day to work and back and some days i do 80 plus miles with golf after work. Most EVs have a shorter range and the more expensive ones (eg ID3) still are only about 200 miles. We regularly go for weekends in Scotland (300+ miles) and south coast (400+ miles) so until I can get an EV that I don’t have to spend forever at the services I’m not interested.

Not to mention I can’t charge at work and accessible charging points round me are very low in number. I’m quite happy with my Tiguan that easily does 500 miles to the tank and take five minutes to fill up once every two/three weeks depending on weekend journeys.

The ID3 looks a lovely car, but I just don’t desire one when I could get a golf gti for the same purchase price. Same with the Tesla’s, nice cars but I don’t ‘want’ one, much rather have a fast Audi or BMW for the same money.

I get it for people that they suit in terms of lifestyle, but they’re also a con in terms of pollution - sure, nothing comes out the tailpipe but the electricity comes from coal/oil/gas power stations and the rare metals they use for manufacture etc are far worse. Hydrogen will be the way forward, but all the IP and patents are owned by the oil companies.

I guess I see the positives and negatives of electrics and I don’t like the negatives. For me personally they outweigh the positives.
I suppose getting that R is an itch you've got to scratch (it was for me, after a long line of performance diesels). That RON99 gets pretty expensive per fill, but you can buy Tesco Momentum instead of Shell V-Power.

You can get around 110 miles of charge into your car every night within the 4 hour Octopus GO cheap window. With 2 EVs, the charger is only being used an average of 3 times a week between the 2 cars. Each one doesn't need to be charging every day, and even if you have to charge outside of the cheap times, 5p a mile is still a bargain vs the pumps. It is a slight inconvenience for a 30 min fill up on longer journeys. I have only done 1 charge on each of the cars away from the house - each car was bought mire than 245 miles from home.

On another long journey his weekend - Newcastle to Southampton , then Southampton to Windor (Legoland), Windsor to Wembley (Park up there for a few days in London, using the tube to get around), then back to Newcastle. There's probably 4 charges away from home to manage all that. Luckily it's a few times a year event.

Agreed, the environmental credentials are well overplayed when the majority of electricity generation isn't Solar/Wind/Hydro and impact of mining for the battery metals.
lancslad1985
Gold Member

Post by lancslad1985 »

monkeyhanger wrote: Thu Aug 26, 2021 9:56 pm
lancslad1985 wrote: Thu Aug 26, 2021 7:26 pm

I suppose getting that R is an itch you've got to scratch (it was for me, after a long line of performance diesels). That RON99 gets pretty expensive per fill, but you can buy Tesco Momentum instead of Shell V-Power.

You can get around 110 miles of charge into your car every night within the 4 hour Octopus GO cheap window. With 2 EVs, the charger is only being used an average of 3 times a week between the 2 cars. Each one doesn't need to be charging every day, and even if you have to charge outside of the cheap times, 5p a mile is still a bargain vs the pumps. It is a slight inconvenience for a 30 min fill up on longer journeys. I have only done 1 charge on each of the cars away from the house - each car was bought mire than 245 miles from home.

On another long journey his weekend - Newcastle to Southampton , then Southampton to Windor (Legoland), Windsor to Wembley (Park up there for a few days in London, using the tube to get around), then back to Newcastle. There's probably 4 charges away from home to manage all that. Luckily it's a few times a year event.

Agreed, the environmental credentials are well overplayed when the majority of electricity generation isn't Solar/Wind/Hydro and impact of mining for the battery metals.
I’d be interested to see what you make of it after a year or two monkeyhanger, as you come across as someone that realises EVs aren’t all perfect considering the charging network and shortcomings of the cars.
monkeyhanger

Post by monkeyhanger »

lancslad1985 wrote: Fri Aug 27, 2021 6:26 am

I’d be interested to see what you make of it after a year or two monkeyhanger, as you come across as someone that realises EVs aren’t all perfect considering the charging network and shortcomings of the cars.
I don't think my opinion of it will change after a year.

If you can do the vast majority of your charging at home because you generally stay within the range of the car, these EVs are great.

If you time it right/use a broker, you can get a 204ps 58kWh ID3 Life (which is well equipped) for about £27500, the sane price as a discounted Golf GTD with same performance. If you're used to buying a mid/high level Golf new then it's not an expensive car (GFV figures indicate that residuals are every bit as good as a performance Golf, and depreciation is all you are really financing). Add in that you could also save £100-150pm at the pumps and it's almost as cheap as a discounted GTI+ Inc fuel over 3 years.

The power is accessible all the time, and is especially good from a standing start (0-30mph it's as quick as an RS7 according to one youtube reviewer -I can well believe that). Pick-up is instant when you put your foot down at any speed. It feels nimble, despite its extra weight. It rides nicely and feels like the best screwed together VW I have owned - completely creak/rattle-free.

I don't think I'm saving the planet with this car, I'm saving my wallet, especially vs the A4 Avant we had.
Andy Beats

Post by Andy Beats »

I'd recommend a test drive of the ID3 over the roads you regularly use.
I only had a very basic 'round the block' run in one out of curiosity, but I watched one ID3 v Leaf video the other night and the guy was honestly doing his nut at the 'lane assist' thing in the ID3.
Saying it was very intrusive and very annoying, especially if you drive on narrower roads where it's constantly pulling at the wheel if you dare stray away from your lane.
He was also very critical of the switch off procedure, saying it takes four presses of buttons/menus to do so and VW have completely misinterpreted the rules for disabling stuff features like this, they could have done a long press of one button instead.
The ID4 was on the list as a possible for the wife after her Evoque but, assuming it's the same, I'll write it off and concentrate on the Nissan Ariya (hoping, of course, its lane assist rubbish isn't equally intrusive).
monkeyhanger

Post by monkeyhanger »

Andy Beats wrote: Fri Aug 27, 2021 9:10 am I'd recommend a test drive of the ID3 over the roads you regularly use.
I only had a very basic 'round the block' run in one out of curiosity, but I watched one ID3 v Leaf video the other night and the guy was honestly doing his nut at the 'lane assist' thing in the ID3.
Saying it was very intrusive and very annoying, especially if you drive on narrower roads where it's constantly pulling at the wheel if you dare stray away from your lane.
He was also very critical of the switch off procedure, saying it takes four presses of buttons/menus to do so and VW have completely misinterpreted the rules for disabling stuff features like this, they could have done a long press of one button instead.
The ID4 was on the list as a possible for the wife after her Evoque but, assuming it's the same, I'll write it off and concentrate on the Nissan Ariya (hoping, of course, its lane assist rubbish isn't equally intrusive).
I always take these X vs Y reviews with a pinch of salt, especially if the reviewer is a fan of of X or Y and has already made their mind up - a test drive is best to make your mind up. If they can't find much wrong with a car, they really home in on one thing and pick at it.

That being said, I hate lane assist. If you're driving through an area where cars park on the roadside, having that un-nerving twitch back towards the parked car you're taking a wide berth to avoid. It activates above 30mph, so won't be a bother crawling around residential streets.

You can turn the system off, but it's back every ignition cycle and takes 3 screen presses to turn off.

However, I have modified the ID3 via my OBD11 so that it remembers that it is switched off between ignition cycles. Mine is switched off and won't come back on unless I switch it on. No need to suffer this completely unnecessary tech. The car is far better without it. I'm sure the ID4 can be modified with ODB11 in the same way.

The eGolf (had one as a courtesy car) drives ike an absolute dog vs the ID3 - FWD makes the front wheels spin up easily, the ride is wallowy and you can really tell that the weight distribution is well off. That's coming from someone who likes Golfs a lot! Just highlights what a great job they did with the ID3.
Andy Beats

Post by Andy Beats »

monkeyhanger wrote: Fri Aug 27, 2021 9:34 am The eGolf (had one as a courtesy car) drives ike an absolute dog vs the ID3 - FWD makes the front wheels spin up easily, the ride is wallowy and you can really tell that the weight distribution is well off. That's coming from someone who likes Golfs a lot! Just highlights what a great job they did with the ID3.
The difference between a ground up EV and an ice with some batteries shoved in (always disliked bastardised ICE cars)
Wheelspin isn't an issue in FWD EVs per se, neither the 150bhp or 210bhp Leaf suffer from it at all.
Just the smooth, drama free acceleration you're used to.
Good to know you can permanently switch off the lane assist, just hope your insurance don't find out (I know it's highly unlikely) :D
monkeyhanger

Post by monkeyhanger »

Andy Beats wrote: Fri Aug 27, 2021 9:59 am
monkeyhanger wrote: Fri Aug 27, 2021 9:34 am The eGolf (had one as a courtesy car) drives ike an absolute dog vs the ID3 - FWD makes the front wheels spin up easily, the ride is wallowy and you can really tell that the weight distribution is well off. That's coming from someone who likes Golfs a lot! Just highlights what a great job they did with the ID3.
The difference between a ground up EV and an ice with some batteries shoved in (always disliked bastardised ICE cars)
Wheelspin isn't an issue in FWD EVs per se, neither the 150bhp or 210bhp Leaf suffer from it at all.
Just the smooth, drama free acceleration you're used to.
Good to know you can permanently switch off the lane assist, just hope your insurance don't find out (I know it's highly unlikely) :D
Shouldn't be any insurance issues, the system is still there. It just remembers to stay off when you switch it off. It switches on in the same 3 press sequence as everyone else switches off. In the menus it looks the same.