Maps Updates V.13

Chat about your 2018+ AW/BZ model Polos here!
CricketLover
New
Drives: Polo gti Facelift. March 2023

Maps Updates V.13

Post by CricketLover »

I have a Polo gti+ 18 plate. The vehicle has the Discover Media package. Around a year ago I was successfully able to download a maps update using my Apple MacBook Pro laptop. I used the DiscoverCare update software.
I am not the most technical of guys and was rather pleased with my efforts! :D
A few months ago I received a notification saying that version 13 of maps was available so I attempted to repeat my success from last year but this time got the error message of
An error occurred. Please check your network settings.

I checked I had all the latest updates from Apple on my lap top and tried again only to get the same error message. I then spoke to VW customer services. Spoke to a helpful guy who said he would investigate and call me back - which he did a few days later. He mentioned I was not the first person to call about this and suggested I try and do the process manually. He gave me what I would call some technical notes regarding how to do the process manually. I have since spoken to a friend who told me he tried the manual process and messed it up and ended up buying an expensive new maps disc from his dealer.
I am therefore reluctant to try this rather ‘technical process’ in case I mess it up as well. As things stand at least I have a fully working maps package in the vehicle, all be it somewhat dated.
Has anyone else had this problem? Any suggestions please from anyone regarding my best course of action. My vehicle is three months out of the three year warranty, but I am sure when I purchased it I was told that free maps updates would be provided. I only drive in the UK.
Harrihealey02
Silver Member
Drives: 2018 SEL

Re: Maps Updates V.13

Post by Harrihealey02 »

I had the same issue with my PC. All I ended up doing was shutting the computer down, starting up and clearing Internet cache etc. Started again but left it running overnight and it worked. It’s very hit and miss.
CricketLover
New

Post by CricketLover »

Many thanks for the suggestion, I have just tried this but unfortunately get the same error. Interestingly that you had the same problem - were you using an Apple MacPro?
Harrihealey02
Silver Member
Drives: 2018 SEL

Post by Harrihealey02 »

It was a Windows PC, you’ll need to keep trying it and eventually it should work.
CricketLover
New

Post by CricketLover »

Thanks for that. Unfortunately, still not working for me. Has anyone else with an Apple device made the recent updates work? Speaking to someone in the trade he suggested that VW probably need to do more development work, however if they did, this might then create conflicts with new functionality on more recent vehicles where they send messages to VW regarding things like vehicle mileage and when services are due. I believe the maps updates are meant to be free beyond the three years warranty period - does anyone know if that is true?
silverhairs
Gold Member
Drives: 2018 Polo SEL

Post by silverhairs »

Some months ago I asked about updating too V.13, I had been to a VW dealer about them doing it for me, which I would pay for their time. All they wanted to do was sell me a new V.13 SD card, and their price was £113. I asked them why they couldn't download on my old SD card, and they said "It was white mans magic, and they had problems updating the old SD cards"
I asked in the forum "If anybody would update my two cards I would pay them for their time", if they had charged me £100 for the two, I'd have been happy. But all I got "was look on you tube for advice", it seems nobody really knows or can honestly say they have 100% success at updating.
The thing is VW tell you your first 3 years updates are free, not if your lucky enough to do it yourself.
Noonoo632
Getting There!
Drives: 2020 polo sel 115ps

Post by Noonoo632 »

https://youtu.be/m7fAFx2T1Wk

https://www.volkswagen.co.uk/en/owners- ... _8QAvD_BwE

I need to do this as well and found top link on youtube for a Golf. Looks pretty easy!! Underneath is the link to VW website for satnav updates
Teee
Bronze Member
Drives: Polo gti +

Post by Teee »

Here is my map update story earlier this year in January I successfully updated from the original one I had v9 to v13 (bundle 1) with no issues using a windows laptop. I simply downloaded the zip file to my laptop and saved the original file from the sd card to the laptop as a backup. After formatting the memory card (deleting all information) I unzipped the new file (v13) to the memory card, everything was working fine. The problem I had was that v9 was approximately 14gb and v13 was approximately 15gb and the memory card was a maximum capacity of 16gb that was all fine but here’s where it got a bit Sticky… So recently I decided to check for a update and there it was v14 so I thought yep let’s get v14 wasn’t too hard last time, so I download it & saved the original v13 like before as a backup file but the new v14 (bundle 1) is slightly bigger then 16gb, meaning that the original memory card can’t accept the bigger file. So I ended up getting a original memory card with v14 (bundle 1) of a seller on eBay & the new memory card has a 32gb capacity so in future the updates will continue to grow and I now have a original memory card that can accept the bigger files.

Here’s a link to the v14 (bundle 1) 32gb memory card if anyone has the same issue as myself.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2022-BRAND-N ... 635-2958-0
stew2410
New
Drives: R-Line 2020

Post by stew2410 »

silverhairs wrote: Fri Oct 08, 2021 12:41 pm The thing is VW tell you your first 3 years updates are free, not if your lucky enough to do it yourself.
When I bought my car about a year ago the dealer said it came with three years of sat nav updates. They said they updated it for me when it came in for a service.

However, like others I've now had to update it myself. All has gone OK and latest update working fine. My query is if owners now update themselves how do VW stop you getting free updates past the three year period?
Noonoo632
Getting There!

Post by Noonoo632 »

Teee wrote: Sat Oct 09, 2021 10:28 am Here is my map update story earlier this year in January I successfully updated from the original one I had v9 to v13 (bundle 1) with no issues using a windows laptop. I simply downloaded the zip file to my laptop and saved the original file from the sd card to the laptop as a backup. After formatting the memory card (deleting all information) I unzipped the new file (v13) to the memory card, everything was working fine. The problem I had was that v9 was approximately 14gb and v13 was approximately 15gb and the memory card was a maximum capacity of 16gb that was all fine but here’s where it got a bit Sticky… So recently I decided to check for a update and there it was v14 so I thought yep let’s get v14 wasn’t too hard last time, so I download it & saved the original v13 like before as a backup file but the new v14 (bundle 1) is slightly bigger then 16gb, meaning that the original memory card can’t accept the bigger file. So I ended up getting a original memory card with v14 (bundle 1) of a seller on eBay & the new memory card has a 32gb capacity so in future the updates will continue to grow and I now have a original memory card that can accept the bigger files.

Here’s a link to the v14 (bundle 1) 32gb memory card if anyone has the same issue as myself.

Just purchased one of these from this ebay seller put it in and updated it through settings and it works perfectly. Now it will not show me in the Firth of Forth off road when I cross the Queensferry crossing to Edinburgh 🤣🤣

Thanks very much for the heads up on this. 👍
Teee
Bronze Member
Drives: Polo gti +

Post by Teee »

Noonoo632 wrote: Tue Oct 19, 2021 11:31 am
Teee wrote: Sat Oct 09, 2021 10:28 am Here is my map update story earlier this year in January I successfully updated from the original one I had v9 to v13 (bundle 1) with no issues using a windows laptop. I simply downloaded the zip file to my laptop and saved the original file from the sd card to the laptop as a backup. After formatting the memory card (deleting all information) I unzipped the new file (v13) to the memory card, everything was working fine. The problem I had was that v9 was approximately 14gb and v13 was approximately 15gb and the memory card was a maximum capacity of 16gb that was all fine but here’s where it got a bit Sticky… So recently I decided to check for a update and there it was v14 so I thought yep let’s get v14 wasn’t too hard last time, so I download it & saved the original v13 like before as a backup file but the new v14 (bundle 1) is slightly bigger then 16gb, meaning that the original memory card can’t accept the bigger file. So I ended up getting a original memory card with v14 (bundle 1) of a seller on eBay & the new memory card has a 32gb capacity so in future the updates will continue to grow and I now have a original memory card that can accept the bigger files.

Just purchased one of these from this ebay seller put it in and updated it through settings and it works perfectly. Now it will not show me in the Firth of Forth off road when I cross the Queensferry crossing to Edinburgh 🤣🤣

Thanks very much for the heads up on this. 👍

I’m glad the link was useful, the updates are relatively easy I just needed an original memory card with v14 so I’ll be ready to update to v15 when it’s available 8) … I’ve heard using cheap non original cards can make the maps bug out and glitch etc.

-edit
I’m pretty certain that initially vw didn’t put this little bit of information on their map updates page but I thought I’d add the screenshot.

09BC5119-9A80-42E7-B00C-3073E51A56AA.jpeg
09BC5119-9A80-42E7-B00C-3073E51A56AA.jpeg (903.32 KiB) Viewed 1649 times
Last edited by Teee on Thu Oct 21, 2021 8:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
Noonoo632
Getting There!

Post by Noonoo632 »

Yes that was my thinking for future updates as well as buying a blank sd card that would be compatible would not be far off the price of buying the one from ebay with all the information on it.
CricketLover
New

Post by CricketLover »

Update on my original post.

Have been able to get maps update to work by asking a friend to do it for me who has a windows laptop.

Since making my original post I have been in contact with VW who initially claimed no one else had reported a problem with doing the update on Apple devices. After I challenged this they rather backtracked and said they would get the technical team to look into the matter. Since then VW have been rather stalling and have still not given me an answer or explanation as to why the VW DiscoverCare software worked the last time I did an update about 12 months ago. Instead they suggested I did the update manually but I explained I was not ‘technically’ minded and struggled to understand the manual instructions they sent me.
At the time of writing VW have still not provided an explanation or a timeframe to fix the VW DiscoverCare software for Apple devices.
Noonoo632
Getting There!

Post by Noonoo632 »

An update to my reply to this post. So I installed the v14 card I got from ebay and went out in car for the first time today.
As I was driving along every so often I got what I can only describe as a warbling sound coming from, as I first thought, my phone!! Wrong it was coming through the car speakers after I stopped and checked my phone.
Could not fathom it out until I realised that the road I was on had average speed camera's and every time I approached one the sound happens, this definitely did not happen with v10 card. I am now wondering if it will happen with fixed and mobile speed camera's?
silverhairs
Gold Member
Drives: 2018 Polo SEL

Post by silverhairs »

Could that be because the V14 included average speed camera's in the programme ?
Apart from that, did everything else work OK, who was the seller on eBay?