Multiple 2021 Polo SEL faults!!

Chat about your 2018+ AW/BZ model Polos here!
Minty87
New
Drives: 2021 Polo GTI

Multiple 2021 Polo SEL faults!!

Post by Minty87 »

Hi all. First post here-

Picked up a 2021 Polo SEL DSG earlier this year and have had multiple issues since day 1. Wondering if any other drivers out there experiencing the same/managed a fix…

Had the minor issues like handbrake button rattle, wiper judder, adaptive cruise preventing overtakes/thinking I’m driving a left-hand drive car, SOS error which is still unfixable according to my dealer this week…

The most frustrating is the creaking sound when accelerating up to 5mph from stationary/pumping the throttle at slow speed. Suspected suspension issue; dealer greased bump stops on front struts but it’s made no difference… managed to get a recording: https://youtu.be/qBVjQW6RrKE

Annoyingly, dealer couldn’t replicate the buzzing/humming sound coming from rear half of car when the engine is running so no fix was attempted. Anyone know what this sound could be: https://youtu.be/G0XVLRVQDEw. And yes… air con is off!

With 7/8 week waits for service appointments, my first ownership experience with VW isn’t off to a good start… :?
Harrihealey02
Bronze Member
Drives: 2018 SEL

Re: Multiple 2021 Polo SEL faults!!

Post by Harrihealey02 »

Sorry to hear you’re not having a good experience with Volkswagen so far. The noise that you hear when they engine is running is the low pressure fuel pump in the fuel tank, which is normal. The other sounds not too sure. I had the wiper judder and found it was the brand of wiper, so replaced with Valeo Silencio and the wipers are silent. I’ve had so many issues with my car, but luckily that’s what the warranty is for. My next issue is to get a huge water leak sorted next month.
Minty87
New

Post by Minty87 »

Thanks for the info! Sound is coming from the right area to be fuel pump so I think you’re on the money. Strange that the sound only started after 4,000 miles though… genuinely wasn’t present before that. Possible that the filter is getting clogged already?

I’m not sure what brand my dealer replaced the wipers with, but so far so good. Assume them were OEM..

Hope your water ingress issues get sorted. Best of luck!
SRGTD
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: 2020 AW Polo GTI+, Pure White.

Post by SRGTD »

Minty87 wrote: Sat Aug 21, 2021 1:47 pm Hi all. First post here-

Picked up a 2021 Polo SEL DSG earlier this year and have had multiple issues since day 1. Wondering if any other drivers out there experiencing the same/managed a fix…

Had the minor issues like handbrake button rattle, wiper judder, adaptive cruise preventing overtakes/thinking I’m driving a left-hand drive car, SOS error which is still unfixable according to my dealer this week…
The handbrake button rattle on the Polo has been experienced by other forum members. If you use the forum advanced search facility (click on the cog wheel - top right hand corner of the main forum board screen) and search on ‘handbrake button’, restricting your search to this forum board (mk10 AW Polo) you’ll find various discussion threads and posts on the subject, along with DIY fixes.

The overtaking / the car ‘thinking’ you’re driving a left hand drive car and the SOS error are issues common to various other current models of VAG cars - I’ve seen these (and other) software related issues discussed on golfgtiforum.co.uk, VWROC and seatcupra.net forums. Some owners cars have had attempted fixes for the SOS error (new control module, software upgrade) that haven’t been entirely successful, so I think your dealer is probably being honest when they’ve said that there’s (currently) no fix.

I’ve read on one of the above forums (sorry, can’t remember which), that VW are working on a ‘major’ software upgrade that’s due to be released before the end of this year that should fix many of the current software gremlins owners are currently experiencing with their cars. Hopefully this will include fixing the overtaking / LHD car and SOS issues.
Minty87
New

Post by Minty87 »

Thanks SRGTD. My dealer’s fix was to replace the silver handbrake button but it didn’t make a difference. I have stuffed some paper in there as a temporary fix, but will ask the dealer to pack it out with foam or something from inside the handbrake surround for a more permanent solution.

A temporary fix for the SOS issue I found on an Audi forum is to hold the red SOS button for about 1 minute. That activates an emergency call to VW which you can then cancel immediately. It kicks the system back to “SOS system active” however it prevents use of Bluetooth for wireless CarPlay until you restart engine… I’m holding out for that software upgrade you mention!
Andy Beats
Drives: Nissan Leaf 40KW (and Polo United)

Post by Andy Beats »

The handbrake button is common and has been something I've suffered on other VAG cars as far back as 2005.
The juddering wipers are easily fixed yourself and I would question the point of complaining to the dealer about these, you never know how long your car was sitting in a field before you got it and allowed the rubber to go hard.
Noonoo632
Getting There!
Drives: 2020 polo sel 115ps

Post by Noonoo632 »

Minty87 wrote: Sat Aug 21, 2021 1:47 pm Hi all. First post here-

The most frustrating is the creaking sound when accelerating up to 5mph from stationary/pumping the throttle at slow speed. Suspected suspension issue; dealer greased bump stops on front struts but it’s made no difference… managed to get a recording: https://youtu.be/qBVjQW6RrKE

Annoyingly, dealer couldn’t replicate the buzzing/humming sound coming from rear half of car when the engine is running so no fix was attempted. Anyone know what this sound could be: https://youtu.be/G0XVLRVQDEw. And yes… air con is off!

With 7/8 week waits for service appointments, my first ownership experience with VW isn’t off to a good start… :?
The first thing I did when I got my sel was to change the wiper blades with Valeo ones from www.carparts4less. Thankfully I have had only one other problem a seat belt sensor that was fixed at it's first service 🤞. Good luck with getting your problems fixed soon
Minty87
New

Post by Minty87 »

Andy Beats wrote: Tue Aug 24, 2021 9:03 am The handbrake button is common and has been something I've suffered on other VAG cars as far back as 2005.
The juddering wipers are easily fixed yourself and I would question the point of complaining to the dealer about these, you never know how long your car was sitting in a field before you got it and allowed the rubber to go hard.
Thanks for the heads up Andy Beats. How did you permanently fixed all those handbrake rattles - what worked for you?
Minty87
New

Post by Minty87 »

Noonoo632 wrote: Tue Aug 24, 2021 10:36 am The first thing I did when I got my sel was to change the wiper blades with Valeo ones from www.carparts4less. Thankfully I have had only one other problem a seat belt sensor that was fixed at it's first service 🤞. Good luck with getting your problems fixed soon
Nice one. It’s a great car, just need to iron out these teething issues.
Andy Beats
Drives: Nissan Leaf 40KW (and Polo United)

Post by Andy Beats »

Minty87 wrote: Tue Aug 24, 2021 10:40 am Thanks for the heads up Andy Beats. How did you permanently fixed all those handbrake rattles - what worked for you?
On my 2005 Audi A3, it took umpteen visits as the rattle seemed to come from the dash and they eventually sent me out with a mechanic.
As soon as it started rattling the mechanic put his thumb on the button and the cause was found.
The job sheet for the fix said "packed out handbrake button", whatever that means.
I never got around to getting it fixed in the GTi, as I sold it three weeks ago.
Anyone test driving it may be put off the car by the rattle though, I know I would ( if I didn't know it was a common problem)
Minty87
New

Post by Minty87 »

For anyone interested, after replacing the silver handbrake button to no avail, my dealer has now replaced the handbrake lever mechanism itself which has fixed it.
Richsrd3371
New
Drives: Polo match 2021

Post by Richsrd3371 »

I had problems with mine from day one and still problems now, polo 71 plate, I called it the squeaker and clunker. It clunked only reverse and breaks were binding on to produce a squeak. It’s been back twice to JCT in Wakefield but still have the brakes binding on.

It now has an additional problem with the temperature gauge giving false readings. I bought a brand new car so I wouldn’t have problems,

What do I do next, I can’t get a refund and I have taken two days off already to get the car fixed, disappointed

My girlfriend who bought a polo at the same time has the clunk in reverse
SRGTD
Drives: 2020 AW Polo GTI+, Pure White.

Post by SRGTD »

Richsrd3371 wrote: Tue Feb 01, 2022 7:58 pm I had problems with mine from day one and still problems now, polo 71 plate, I called it the squeaker and clunker. It clunked only reverse and breaks were binding on to produce a squeak. It’s been back twice to JCT in Wakefield but still have the brakes binding on.

It now has an additional problem with the temperature gauge giving false readings. I bought a brand new car so I wouldn’t have problems,

What do I do next, I can’t get a refund and I have taken two days off already to get the car fixed, disappointed

My girlfriend who bought a polo at the same time has the clunk in reverse
The brakes on previous Polo (a 2016 GTI - the previous model Polo) used to make a clunking noise when reversing. It was caused by the (normal) free movement of the front brake pads in the brake calipers and didn’t affect the efficiency or performance of the brakes and the clunking noise stopped after a few months of ownership. Are your brakes actually binding or just squealing? If your brakes are binding while driving, there will usually be other tell tale signs - e.g. brakes smelling hot, car pulling to one side when braking. Do you experience the squealing just when braking under certain conditions (e.g. slow or high speed braking, light or heavy brake pedal pressure?) or every time you apply the brakes?
Richsrd3371
New

Post by Richsrd3371 »

It’s when the brakes are hot, you apply your brakes then start to pull away slowly and you can hear a high pitched noise where the brakes bind. It goes away as soon as your gather some speed, I also forgot to mention the front left hand wiper blade chatters across the windscreen

There must be more people out there with similar problems
Last edited by Richsrd3371 on Wed Feb 02, 2022 9:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
Richsrd3371
New

Post by Richsrd3371 »

It’s when the brakes are hot, you apply your brakes then start to pull away slowly and you can hear a high pitched noise where the brakes bind. It goes away as soon as your gather some speed