Warm air from vents

Chat about your 2018+ AW/BZ model Polos here!
sebullo
New
Drives: Polo Beats 1.0 95 2018

Warm air from vents

Post by sebullo »

Hello everyone.

I am wondering if the below situation is normal?

I am starting the car after the night (engine/oil/coolant - all cold). I go for a drive for around an hour during the summer days when outside temp is 20C or more. I set temp to LO and any air speed (A/C is off - dual zone climate control) air from vents is cold. But if I will park in full sun (car is black) and I will go for 30min shopping or whatever when I will start the car the again the air which is coming from vents is "warm" and it stays like this until I will turn on the A/C. Then if I will turn off the A/C again the air stay much colder then before (not fully cold what is normal as outside is over 20C, but still much more cold)

Is it becouse of the air is coming for engine bay and after I will park after the trip in full sun all is extremely hot inside or someting is wrong?

If I will turn on A/C it perfectly keeps the temp inside.

I am sorry for, English is my 2nd language. I hope all is understandable.

Thank you.
monkeyhanger
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: Audi A4 Avant Quattro 40 TDI, Polo GTI+

Re: Warm air from vents

Post by monkeyhanger »

If you want cold air on a hot day, you need to use AC which will cool the air before it gets into the cabin. If you want to do it effectively and economically, I would suggest you also put air recirculation on, so the air you just cooled isn't being dumped as you drive along - most will be retained and the energy required to stay cool will be greatly reduced.

A car sat in tge sun is going to be full of hot air. If you put your fans on, but not your AC then those fans will draw in warm air at outside temperature, but will also be moving around that really hot air already in your car, making it feel like it is blowing very hot.
J+silva
Bronze Member
Drives: polo conf.

Post by J+silva »

See this topic viewtopic.php?f=71&t=72931
sebullo wrote: Tue Aug 24, 2021 3:07 pm Hello everyone.

I am wondering if the below situation is normal?

I am starting the car after the night (engine/oil/coolant - all cold). I go for a drive for around an hour during the summer days when outside temp is 20C or more. I set temp to LO and any air speed (A/C is off - dual zone climate control) air from vents is cold. But if I will park in full sun (car is black) and I will go for 30min shopping or whatever when I will start the car the again the air which is coming from vents is "warm" and it stays like this until I will turn on the A/C. Then if I will turn off the A/C again the air stay much colder then before (not fully cold what is normal as outside is over 20C, but still much more cold)

Is it becouse of the air is coming for engine bay and after I will park after the trip in full sun all is extremely hot inside or someting is wrong?

If I will turn on A/C it perfectly keeps the temp inside.

I am sorry for, English is my 2nd language. I hope all is understandable.

Thank you.
sebullo
New

Post by sebullo »

So, to make it easy to understand for me. All seems to be ok?
monkeyhanger

Post by monkeyhanger »

sebullo wrote: Tue Aug 24, 2021 8:01 pm So, to make it easy to understand for me. All seems to be ok?
Yes. Using recirculation with aircon will cut down on system consumption a lot.
grazuncle2
Silver Member
Drives: Polo 1.0 TSI SE 2019

Post by grazuncle2 »

I have had this with every car I have had...

Car sitting in the Sun esp with the front screen facing the sun.. It heats up the binnacle something fierce!.. you know what a hot steering wheel feels like.. well the air from the outside has got to go through all of that heat and it heats up the with it too.. often warmer than the ambient temp!

If for some reason I didn't want to put the AC on .. (I didn't like doing that with my last 1.4 TDI (2006 Polo) because it sapped low end pulling away performance) I would put the blower on full and open all of the windows just to suck the heat out of all the interior air ducting and out into the outside; rather than restricting it inside. It still takes time but les than with closed windows. You might not want to do that on a motorway journey though!!!!

With this Polo I don't think about it at all.. If it is hot inside or blowing warm.. put the AC even for a short time..
sebullo
New

Post by sebullo »

Thank you everyone for all your replies. I will now sleep better :D
Andy Beats
Drives: Nissan Leaf 40KW (and Polo United)

Post by Andy Beats »

Amazes me that people ever put the aircon off.
Why?
It's has all-year benefits, just keep it on all the time.
Surely people are past thinking it makes the car use more fuel?
SRGTD
Drives: 2020 AW Polo GTI+, Pure White.

Post by SRGTD »

Andy Beats wrote: Mon Aug 30, 2021 11:13 am Amazes me that people ever put the aircon off.
Why?
It's has all-year benefits, just keep it on all the time.
Surely people are past thinking it makes the car use more fuel?
Agree. The first thing I do when I get a new / different car is to turn the A/C on. It then never gets turned off during my ownership of that car.
Andy Beats
Drives: Nissan Leaf 40KW (and Polo United)

Post by Andy Beats »

SRGTD wrote: Mon Aug 30, 2021 11:58 am

Agree. The first thing I do when I get a new / different car is to turn the A/C on. It then never gets turned off during my ownership of that car.
Same.
TBH I think more manufacturers need to make the default 'on' and you have to push a button to ask it go off.
Renault do this, for one.
monkeyhanger

Post by monkeyhanger »

Andy Beats wrote: Mon Aug 30, 2021 12:10 pm
SRGTD wrote: Mon Aug 30, 2021 11:58 am

Same.
TBH I think more manufacturers need to make the default 'on' and you have to push a button to ask it go off.
Renault do this, for one.
The aircon is always on to a small degree, even when it is switched off. You can see this in the convenience consumers screen, it is always drawing from the car's output.
sebullo
New

Post by sebullo »

It is not that I don't want to use it :D Sometimes, I just have to turn it off, when someone ask for it. Then I noticed that what I mentioned in my first post. Personally, I use it almost all the time on :)