Changing into reverse take 3 second (manual)?

Chat about your 2018+ AW/BZ model Polos here!
Ping
New
Drives: Polo AW -2018

Changing into reverse take 3 second (manual)?

Post by Ping »

Hello,

I own the Polo AW 2018 1,0 TSI for almost 6months now. Never had a turbo car before this, and only had a very old car before. Just wanted to check one thing.

When parking in the garage, I have to wait around 3 seconds before I can put my manual gear into reverse. If I try to do it quicker i will hear the gearbox grinding noise. Same noise as if you try to change to a lower gear when going at to high speed. Just wanted to check if this is normal for the Polo AW with manual gearbox?

I assume it's the flywheel that is still spinning cause of the fuel efficient motor? and maybe somehow because of the turbo?

*EDITED*
OK, workshop confirmed gearbox reverse pinion worn (3000mile), and recommended change of gearbox. Seller paid for used gearbox (800mile) change under Das WeltAuto warranty.
Car works great again, im happy :) .
Last edited by Ping on Wed Oct 27, 2021 5:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
iichel
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: Polo 6R 2.0 TDI, Passat B8 2.0 TSI

Re: Changing into reverse take 3 second (manual)?

Post by iichel »

No not normal.
Harrihealey02
Bronze Member
Drives: 2018 SEL

Post by Harrihealey02 »

I’m no expert but I know that it shouldn’t take 3 seconds to change into reverse gear. Take it into the garage.
ho8882000
Bronze Member
Drives: 2019 (AW)

Post by ho8882000 »

Try this and see if it happens again:

1) Brake and stop your car completely.
2) Press and hold onto the clutch.
3) While pressing and holding onto the clutch, put the car in 1st or 3rd gear and put it back to neutral.
4) While pressing and holding onto the clutch, put the car in reverse gear.
5) Now you can release the clutch slowly and reverse your car.
ho8882000
Bronze Member

Post by ho8882000 »

ho8882000 wrote: Sat Aug 28, 2021 9:38 am Try this and see if it happens again:

1) Brake and stop your car completely.
2) Press and hold onto the clutch.
3) While pressing and holding onto the clutch, put the car in 1st or 3rd gear and put it back to neutral.
4) While pressing and holding onto the clutch, put the car in reverse gear.
5) Now you can release the clutch slowly and reverse your car.
This is what I meant in an easier to understand video format:

Ping
New

Post by Ping »

I did some more google and now I have more questions.
According to what I read some manual gearbox reverse gear lack the syncron ring and thats why you cant put it in reverse directly?

But if you put it in first the 1st gear syncron ring will stop the input shaft and then you can put it in reverse? like ho8882000 suggested me to try?
ho8882000
Bronze Member

Post by ho8882000 »

Ping wrote: Sun Aug 29, 2021 6:37 pm I did some more google and now I have more questions.
According to what I read some manual gearbox reverse gear lack the syncron ring and thats why you cant put it in reverse directly?

But if you put it in first the 1st gear syncron ring will stop the input shaft and then you can put it in reverse? like ho8882000 suggested me to try?
Why don't you try it first, so you will have concrete experience to tell yourself if this method works for your car or not.
Andy Beats
Drives: Nissan Leaf 40KW (and Polo United)

Post by Andy Beats »

Absolutely not normal.
Didn't do this on my 2019 manual 95Tsi, and doesn't do it on our 21 95Tsi 'United'.
Ping
New

Post by Ping »

Ok Ive done alot of trial in the parking today.
On a closer look, its not actually 3 second but its actually 2 second. Is this still not normal and I should take it to VW workshop? Because all other gear change is very smooth.

@ho8882000: I tried what you suggested but changing from 1st - Reverse directly is still the same have to wait 2 seconds roughly.

I also realized one thing I often have a habit to change gear from 1st to Neutral before car it completely stopped, and then I reverse. But now I tried going from 1st stopp and then change into reverse. it takes 2 second if I dont want to hear the grinding noise.
Andy Beats

Post by Andy Beats »

The only time I've ever seen people crunch when going into reverse is:

1. Not stopped completely
2. Haven't let RPM die down before selecting reverse

When you come to a stop and take your foot off the throttle, is your RPM dying down to idle level quickly?
Or does the RPM take a few seconds to come down?
Ping
New

Post by Ping »

Yeah I tried to rev it gently and it does take roughly 2 second to lower down to 1000rpm idle.
But anyway I asked my seller if I should take it to a workshop for a check and he agreed. So now i have a booked time in mid of October. I'll update after that.
grazuncle2
Silver Member
Drives: Polo 1.0 TSI SE 2019

Post by grazuncle2 »

Ping wrote: Sat Aug 28, 2021 7:51 am Hello,

I own the Polo AW 2018 1,0 TSI for almost 6months now. Never had a turbo car before this, and only had a very old car before. Just wanted to check one thing.

When parking in the garage, I have to wait around 3 seconds before I can put my manual gear into reverse. If I try to do it quicker i will hear the gearbox grinding noise. Same noise as if you try to change to a lower gear when going at to high speed. Just wanted to check if this is normal for the Polo AW with manual gearbox?

I assume it's the flywheel that is still spinning cause of the fuel efficient motor? and maybe somehow because of the turbo?
I have the same model. I have never had this problem. You might get it if you have not stopped the car fully... creeping on an incline slightly?.

Does it take 2 seconds to engage reverse in the same/single attempt grinding all the time and then slips into reverse or slips into reverse freely after a few goes few goes in 2 seconds?
Ping
New

Post by Ping »

grazuncle2 wrote: Wed Sep 01, 2021 5:42 pm Does it take 2 seconds to engage reverse in the same/single attempt grinding all the time and then slips into reverse or slips into reverse freely after a few goes few goes in 2 seconds?
I stop trying immediately when I hear grinding :shock: so only 1 try in thoose 2 second.
I already adapted to wait 2 second before engaging reverse since beginning, thought this was normal. But I will let VW check it in mid October.

I did some trials and it always take 2 second after moving and stopped to change inte reverse. But of couse after thoose 2 second I can change any gear without issue. All other forward gear change smoothly without delay.
Andy Beats

Post by Andy Beats »

I can't help thinking the problem is the RPM taking too long to come down to idle.
Any car will crunch into reverse if the revs are too high.
grazuncle2
Silver Member
Drives: Polo 1.0 TSI SE 2019

Post by grazuncle2 »

If that's case I would be experimenting by engaging reverse with a slight roll backwards.