Changing into reverse take 3 second (manual)?

Chat about your 2018+ AW/BZ model Polos here!
Ping
New
Drives: Polo AW -2018

Re: Changing into reverse take 3 second (manual)?

Post by Ping »

Ok, so car have finally been at the workshop. They confirmed there was an issue with the gearbox. Worn pinion on the reverse gear. they suggested change of the entire gearbox. Quoted me 7000€ + work :shock: :shock: :shock: . Good thing the dealer going to change it free of charge for me they gonna put in a used gearbox 800 mile (metric).
What worries me a bit is that this car had roughly 3000mile before I started to notice this :roll: . Ohh well hopefully it's just some fault from factory on this one.

Thank you all forum people sharing the experience. Otherwise I would have thought it was normal with theese new cars something with economical fuel efficency or something.

Im going to make a new thread to ask some other question since my last car was very old and this one has some features im not familiar with.
Last edited by Ping on Wed Oct 27, 2021 5:29 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Cro_vw
New
Drives: Polo 1.0 2018 115bhp Highline

Post by Cro_vw »

I've noticed that on my SEL, and its normal. I didn't stop completely, or my RPMS are a bit high, and it grinds. Now I let car for 1,2 seconds and put it in revers, and its just fine.
Teee
Bronze Member
Drives: Polo gti +

Post by Teee »

This is not the first time I’ve heard of the 1.0 tsi having gearbox issues. I’ve heard about 5/6 people on the Facebook groups having their gearbox replaced under warranty and mileages from as little as 10k up to 40k also 1 seat Ibiza owners with the same 1.0 tsi with manual transmission. Not sure if issues are with 5 or 6 speed boxes or what gearbox codes are troublesome etc but I’ve definitely herd some stories.
Cro_vw
New
Drives: Polo 1.0 2018 115bhp Highline

Post by Cro_vw »

Teee wrote: Tue Oct 19, 2021 9:06 pm This is not the first time I’ve heard of the 1.0 tsi having gearbox issues. I’ve heard about 5/6 people on the Facebook groups having their gearbox replaced under warranty and mileages from as little as 10k up to 40k also 1 seat Ibiza owners with the same 1.0 tsi with manual transmission. Not sure if issues are with 5 or 6 speed boxes or what gearbox codes are troublesome etc but I’ve definitely herd some stories.
its with 6 speed boxes, I have one with 5 speed and one with 6 speed. And 5 speed feels much better, sliding in to gears, 6 speed a bit harder to change gears, grinds in revers if you dont wait couple of seconds , and I got gerabox oil change on 7000 km, I have weird noises while steering fully locked to te right. They changed gerabox oil, and it was fine for couple of months, now again same story. I will call dealership and give them car to see whats the issue again.
Ping
New
Drives: Polo AW -2018

Post by Ping »

Ok got my gearbox changed, and now I can put in the reverse immediately after stopping. Thank you forum people for the support. Would have thought this issue was normal and had issue with it later without warranty, if I didnt check here. Hopefully this gearbox will last longer.

Cost of the gearbox change was 1400€ + 200€ troubleshooting. So I assume brand new gearbox to a polo is around 5600€ which is RIDICULOUS expensive.
Anyway good thing I had warranty from the seller, didnt have to pay anything. And the seller fixed everything splendidly.
RUM4MO
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: B8 S4 & 6R/6C1 1.2TSI 110

Post by RUM4MO »

Good result!