Dash strip lights, night time

Chat about your 2018+ AW/BZ model Polos here!
golfhappy
New
Drives: mk10 polo gti+

Dash strip lights, night time

Post by golfhappy »

Hi i've noticed during the dark nights when driving that the strip light illuminates around the door handles under the infotainment system but not under the right side of the dash. Is that normal? seen video on youtube and looks to be all the way around. Hope that makes sense :D
SRGTD
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: 2020 AW Polo GTI+, Pure White.

Re: Dash strip lights, night time

Post by SRGTD »

Makes perfect sense.

Just checked mine. The section arrowed in green on the right of the picture below should be illuminated when the lights are on;
C145CE6F-CBF3-4027-B969-2B433F565593.jpeg
C145CE6F-CBF3-4027-B969-2B433F565593.jpeg (73.08 KiB) Viewed 1439 times
golfhappy
New

Post by golfhappy »

Thanks that's exactly it, i've went out and checked(with glasses on) and you can see a thin strip on the dash to the left but there is none in that area you have marked.
Pulled the rubber of the dash to see if it was hidden but alas looks like it was never fitted.
I'll just live with it.
SRGTD

Post by SRGTD »

I’m not sure I’d just live with it - if that section of the LED strip wasn’t fitted when the car was built, I’d be getting the dealer to order and fit the part at no cost to you.
Stuart_Rendall
Bronze Member
Drives: Polo GTI+

Post by Stuart_Rendall »

Problem with getting the dealer to refit stuff in the dash is that usually they'll solve 1 problem but create another 3. You'll be chasing warranty repairs. Either find a good quality dealer or live with it i'd suggest.
golfhappy
New

Post by golfhappy »

Hi just had another look in the daytime, yeh the strip is there it starts about 2" from the steering column and about 8mm from the end of the red dash panel. so it is there but doesn't illuminate. I'll check with the dealer.
golfhappy
New

Post by golfhappy »

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/224318732996 ... SwqJtgA4Gq this link shows in one of the pictures (picture 6) the rear of that strip light, maybe cant make out from picture, works on like a fibre optic with a bulb illuminating the strip at one end?
Andy Beats
Drives: Nissan Leaf 40KW (and Polo United)

Post by Andy Beats »

Liked this feature in my GTi and the daughter's 'United' edition has it.
Just a damned shame they didn't make the colours changeable.
SRGTD

Post by SRGTD »

Andy Beats wrote: Mon Aug 30, 2021 9:46 am Liked this feature in my GTi and the daughter's 'United' edition has it.
Just a damned shame they didn't make the colours changeable.
Agree it’s a nice feature, although I think having multiple colour choices for interior ambient lighting is a bit gimmicky and something I personally wouldn’t use, But then we’re all different and like different things.
Andy Beats

Post by Andy Beats »

SRGTD wrote: Mon Aug 30, 2021 10:20 am Agree it’s a nice feature, although I think having multiple colour choices for interior ambient lighting is a bit gimmicky and something I personally wouldn’t use, But then we’re all different and like different things.
I used it all the time in my Mini, mostly blue.
Not that I ever used 'sport' mode in the GTi, but the strip automatically changing to red when selected would be a nice touch.
vc-10
Silver Member
Drives: 2019 Seat Ibiza 1.0 TSI Xcellence Lux

Post by vc-10 »

Weird that the strips in the Ibiza do have a colour change- they're white or red. I leave them on red, fits with the rest of the interior lighting. The Ibiza's strips are only on the doors under the decorative trims.
Andy Beats

Post by Andy Beats »

vc-10 wrote: Mon Aug 30, 2021 3:09 pm Weird that the strips in the Ibiza do have a colour change- they're white or red. I leave them on red, fits with the rest of the interior lighting. The Ibiza's strips are only on the doors under the decorative trims.
Maybe fits in with VAG's decision to market Seat as their 'young' brand.
I really tried to push our 18YO daughter towards the Ibiza FR, really smart motor, but she wasn't having it and wanted the Polo. *shrug*
monty831
New
Drives: 2019 GTI Plus

Post by monty831 »

The section on the passenger side for me was dull and really didn't look great at night. Got the LED replaced under warranty. However as other have noted, this caused a new issue in that the dash then rattled badly

Had to go back again to get it fixed. It's never been perfect since

In hindsight I would have left it