Polo GTI+ owner - downsize to UP GTI vs upsize to Golf GTI

Chat about your 2018+ AW/BZ model Polos here!
monkeyhanger
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: Audi A4 Avant Quattro 40 TDI, Polo GTI+

Re: Polo GTI+ owner - downsize to UP GTI vs upsize to Golf GTI

Post by monkeyhanger »

Andy Beats wrote: Sat Sep 04, 2021 9:15 am
monkeyhanger wrote: Fri Sep 03, 2021 6:33 pm Very short wheelbase on a relatively tall car (relative to its length) and a high centre of gravity isn't really conducive to great handling. The Lupo was much lighter (Aluminium doors and bonnet), had great Brembo brakes and a great suspension set up. The UP has none of that. The Lupo was built to a spec, not a price. Great car.
The handling on our daughter's Seat Mii was perfectly fine, and that was a standard set up.
I didn't see anything in the handling of that to give me any concerns.
You're maybe just used to the boat-size stability of bigger cars, small cars really don't bother me at all.
Truth be told I prefer them, if only the Honda-E was cheaper.
Not saying the Up is a death trap, but I doubt you or your daughter would fling that Mii around like people would expect to be able to fling something around with a GTI badge on it, and not come unstuck. The Lupo GTI was a true pocket rocket for its time, and 18 years later, VW's latest effort is worse in every way except fuel economy. The Up GTI could've been amazing, but the only hint of excitement is wondering if you're going to tip it if you take that bend as quick as you really want to.
Andy Beats
Drives: Nissan Leaf 40KW (and Polo United)

Post by Andy Beats »

monkeyhanger wrote: Sat Sep 04, 2021 10:42 am Not saying the Up is a death trap, but I doubt you or your daughter would fling that Mii around like people would expect to be able to fling something around with a GTI badge on it, and not come unstuck. The Lupo GTI was a true pocket rocket for its time, and 18 years later, VW's latest effort is worse in every way except fuel economy. The Up GTI could've been amazing, but the only hint of excitement is wondering if you're going to tip it if you take that bend as quick as you really want to.
Come on, be serious, it's not going to tip.... :D
You might get that felling for a while, but just need to recalibrate your brain.
It's like me thinking the standard Bridgestones on my GTI were poor in heavy rain.
They weren't, you just needed to push past that feeling and then everything was fine.
Andy Beats
Drives: Nissan Leaf 40KW (and Polo United)

Post by Andy Beats »

One thing about the handling that did annoy me about the Mii was that if you chucked it into a drift the traction/stability would kick in and it can't be switched off.
If the UP GTi is the same, that would be a bit annoying.
You should be able to switch these 'aids' off in a sporty version.
beetle274
New
Drives: 2021 R Line

Post by beetle274 »

Just joined the Forum but spotted this thread....for what it's worth I have just traded in my Up Gti for a 2020 R lIne, thought you might appreciate my thoughts on the Up. First of all let me say I am no petrol head...'It's just a car'!
I am 70 next year and have driven Vw's for almost 50 years, also I was a service engineer and spent an enormous amount of time driving, so my views are as a motorist!
Firstly I have to say that I enjoyed driving the Up immensely....extremely light and maneuverable, and the engine very willing and responsive...never felt 'unsafe' in the car, it's not that tall!! Yes, the car is basic, VW managed to strip out as much as possible to keep the cost down ( I assume ) but as I always say 'simple is efficient'....less to go wrong!
I kept the car for 3 years but in the end it was the ride quality that wore me down...it is 'HARD'...didn't notice it too much initially but as time went on I began to hear, and feel, every lump and bump! ( having the sunroof didn't help)
Also have to say that another reason for getting rid of the Up is that it's not a good idea to have a 70 year old tearing about on the roads today in a car with such a turn of speed!!
SRGTD
Drives: 2020 AW Polo GTI+, Pure White.

Post by SRGTD »

beetle274 wrote: Fri Dec 03, 2021 6:54 pm Just joined the Forum but spotted this thread....for what it's worth I have just traded in my Up Gti for a 2020 R lIne, thought you might appreciate my thoughts on the Up. First of all let me say I am no petrol head...'It's just a car'!
I am 70 next year and have driven Vw's for almost 50 years, also I was a service engineer and spent an enormous amount of time driving, so my views are as a motorist!
Firstly I have to say that I enjoyed driving the Up immensely....extremely light and maneuverable, and the engine very willing and responsive...never felt 'unsafe' in the car, it's not that tall!! Yes, the car is basic, VW managed to strip out as much as possible to keep the cost down ( I assume ) but as I always say 'simple is efficient'....less to go wrong!
I kept the car for 3 years but in the end it was the ride quality that wore me down...it is 'HARD'...didn't notice it too much initially but as time went on I began to hear, and feel, every lump and bump! ( having the sunroof didn't help)
Also have to say that another reason for getting rid of the Up is that it's not a good idea to have a 70 year old tearing about on the roads today in a car with such a turn of speed!!
@beetle274; welcome to the forum.

Interesting to hear your experiences of owning an up! GTI. In my opinion, you’re never too old to own a GTI - there are quite a few owners of performance VW’s (GTI’s and R’s) on various forums who’re 70+ years old. I’ve not reached the 70 milestone yet but I’ve passed the 60 milestone and my current car’s a 2020 Polo GTI+ 🙂).

Good luck with your Polo R-Line; hope you have many miles of enjoyable motoring from it.
Rosinfield
Bronze Member
Drives: 2018 AW GTI

Post by Rosinfield »

Hi @beetle274; I am 70 years too and I drive a Polo GTI, remapped to 270 hp and with a nice Milltek exhaust. I thought about downgrading to an Up! GTI, because that car is a genuine drivers car and has lower costs. The Polo is in fact too good, too stable and forgiving. On the other hand it's a perfect daily. Very comfortable and it's nice to use the power now and then when an opportunity occurs. Also we are just the two of us and our dog, but for going on holidays the space in the Polo is just enough. I don't feel too old at all!
silverhairs
Gold Member
Drives: 2018 Polo SEL

Post by silverhairs »

Andy Beats wrote: Mon Sep 06, 2021 10:35 am One thing about the handling that did annoy me about the Mii was that if you chucked it into a drift the traction/stability would kick in and it can't be switched off.
If the UP GTi is the same, that would be a bit annoying.
You should be able to switch these 'aids' off in a sporty version.
DO you mean SNOW DRIFT ??
steeve
Bronze Member
Drives: Mk10 GTI+

Post by steeve »

Have you seriously considered a change of make?
Go and get a test drive in a Cooper S or even better a Cooper S John Cooper Works, a real fun car with great driving dynamics, put a smile on your face, it's one of those cars you just go for a drive for the sheer fun factor.
SRGTD
Drives: 2020 AW Polo GTI+, Pure White.

Post by SRGTD »

steeve wrote: Sun Dec 26, 2021 10:05 am Have you seriously considered a change of make?
Go and get a test drive in a Cooper S or even better a Cooper S John Cooper Works, a real fun car with great driving dynamics, put a smile on your face, it's one of those cars you just go for a drive for the sheer fun factor.
@steeve; Not sure who your question is directed at, but after having owned VW’s for nearly 20 years, I’ll certainly be considering other makes for my next car. If I was in the market for a new car just now, I don’t think I’d be buying a VW - removal of physical buttons and switches for basic functions, poor UI’s which are slow to respond and there seem to be far too many issues with the software gremlins in the current crop of VW models; a major software update is supposed to be imminent, but will it fix the many issues that have frustrated many owners? Time will tell, but the success of software updates to date have been rather hit and miss. Thank goodness we don’t have autonomous (driverless) cars on the roads yet - an autonomous VW with major software flaws doesn’t bear thinking about! 😮😧😲

I’ll be due to change my GTI+ in around three years time. It’s replacement is likely to be an electric car and if I was changing now, an electric Mini would be high up on the list. The main reservation I’d have with the electric Mini would be the relatively poor battery range. I dare say the choice of small electric cars will be more extensive in three years time, no doubt battery technology will have moved in and hopefully the charging infrastructure will be better. Interesting times ahead for car buyers 🤔.
Rosinfield
Bronze Member
Drives: 2018 AW GTI

Post by Rosinfield »

And hopefully the price will go down too and the supply of occasions will also expand. At this moment the buying costs are a show stopper for me. In the meantime I'm gonna keep enjoying my GTI.
mobbeduo
New
Drives: VW Polo GTI 2.0 2020

Post by mobbeduo »

I actually upgraded from a Up GTI to the Polo GTI.
The Up is a way more fun car to drive on public roads.

You get so much fun at low speeds that you have to try it to believe it, if you ever driven a mx5 you probably know what I'm talking about.

I could still get sweaty hands and the biggest smile on a twisty road, not achieving that in the Polo twice the speed on the same road.

But the Polo is way more grown up car that you are so much more able to live with. More space, dsg, acc, car play, softer ride and I could go on.
024CB18A-711A-4102-B530-3B85CB431344.jpeg
024CB18A-711A-4102-B530-3B85CB431344.jpeg (2.76 MiB) Viewed 868 times