AGM or not .. that is the question

Chat about your 2018+ AW/BZ model Polos here!
grazuncle2
Silver Member
Drives: Polo 1.0 TSI SE 2019

AGM or not .. that is the question

Post by grazuncle2 »

Hi all

I have been learning a lot here about batteries.. thanks

My Polo has a standing voltage (after surface charge removed) of 11.85v and when driving the coltage is usually around 14.4v even at tick over. It starts easily every time. The car is 2.5 years old now. I bought it with a 2yr VW cover in May 2021.. I'm wondering if Batteries are under warranty cover?

I don't even know if my battery is AGM although my Polo is Start/Stop. I tried to find out but there is no information on the visible side of the battery in situ and can't really see under the black plastic covers on top.. I see two clips.. I got one loose (on the righthand side viewed facing from the front of the car but the one to the left at the back moves but doesn't allow the cover to move like the other side???? I'm guessing there may be fuses etc under ther and may still to be able to see battery information.. :(

Apparently a 'good' battery has a standing voltage of 12.2 -12.4v

As is always the case with me i have started a learning journey.. LOL But, I have since learned that leaving a car unused (pandemic) is not good for the battery. Now I know of conditioner chargers. Boy these gadgets can be expensive!

Discovered my charger actually has smart tech in it and a recharge desulphation and long time charging is part of the facility built in. I think this only works with lead acid batteries though.

So I have learned a lot but still short of knowing the battery type.
ho8882000
Bronze Member
Drives: 2019 (AW)

Re: AGM or not .. that is the question

Post by ho8882000 »

If your battery is in the engine bay, it is a EFB battery.

AGM battery for a Polo (AW) is installed in the boot at the back away from the heat of the engine.
grazuncle2
Silver Member

Post by grazuncle2 »

That's really useful information.. such a simple answer!

at least I know what to look for if my charger (which I didn't know was a conditioner too) doesn't recover the battery voltage sufficiently and I replaced the battery. Conditioning can take 48 hours or more from what I have heard. At least it is not costing me anything to try.

apparently Halfords have a sporadic fitting service.. some register a new battery whilst others don't know anything about battery registering on VWs :shock: :shock: :shock:
RUM4MO
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: B8 S4 & 6R/6C1 1.2TSI 110

Post by RUM4MO »

You should be able to see EFB printed on the top of the battery.

If you use a smart charger when the car is not being used, that EFB battery, if it comes back into reasonable health, should last for a few more years yet - so far I've not allowed any of my car batteries to become discharged "badly" during this pandemic period, but I did buy a second CTEK charger to help to keep that second car's battery in good health, that car, my wife's August 2015 VW Polo 1.2TSI also has a EFB and it is back in good health, I did run the recond program on it once or twice though and that seemed to return it to good health.
grazuncle2
Silver Member

Post by grazuncle2 »

That is good to know...

still like to know how to reveal the underside of that black cover over the battery..

I usually am able to work things out like this.. embarrassing :oops: :oops: :oops: