Suspected Throw-Out Bearing Noise

Chat about your 2018+ AW/BZ model Polos here!
LeebzP
New
Drives: 1.0 TSI R-Line - Energetic Orange

Suspected Throw-Out Bearing Noise

Post by LeebzP »

Hi guys.

I drive a 2019 95ps R-Line with a 5 speed manual. I have around 73.5k KM (46k miles in the Queen’s English) on the car and the car is 2 years and 7 months old.

I recently started hearing a “whirling” sound when I take off (the sort of sound you get when you slowly drag a chair across a wooden floor). It’s more abundant on hill starts/harder launching. I’ve been doing some research online and most answers point to the clutch release bearing. It’s going in for a service in two weeks time, so I’ll mention it to them. What I wanted to find out (having misplaced my warranty booklet) is that should it be the clutch release bearing, would it still be covered under the power train warranty? Or do I have to budget for getting it fixed out of my own pocket because it’s a clutch wear-and-tear part?

I’d appreciate your input on this.
SRGTD
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: 2020 AW Polo GTI+, Pure White.

Re: Suspected Throw-Out Bearing Noise

Post by SRGTD »

In the UK, the clutch release bearing is covered under the three year new car factory warranty for the first 6 months or 6,500 miles (whichever occurs first) but after that, if it fails, the failure it considered to be due to wear and tear and is excluded.

I have no idea if the terms and conditions of VW’s new car warranty are the same for all geographical locations, but I dare say the terms and conditions relating to components considered to be wear and tear items will be the same or very similar.
LeebzP
New
Drives: 1.0 TSI R-Line - Energetic Orange

Re: Suspected Throw-Out Bearing Noise

Post by LeebzP »

Thanks man.

I guess it’s the same T’s and C’s here in South Africa. But I’ll take my chances with them but I think I know what their response will be based on my previous experiences with VW SA.