POLO GTI+ | Police Trouble

Chat about your 2018+ AW/BZ model Polos here!
MrTomOates
Bronze Member
Drives: Polo GTI+

POLO GTI+ | Police Trouble

Post by MrTomOates »

Hello guys,

I've returned! :twisted:

I hope you are all well and you are all enjoying your VWs. Before I get into my ordeal I must say I am in love with my POLO GTI+. The car is unbelievable and if anybody is debating whether or not this car is for you, I stand by the vast majority of VW Polo GTI owners and say that the car is a definite head turner. General public, thief's and as I will get onto, the police as well.

Broken Into
I just recently had my car broken into (05/08/21). The car was left in an undriveable state. Like most of you; if not all of you, the car was maintained to be in pristine condition. I have CCTV images of the person who broke into my car and ended up accumulating up to £8,000 worth of theft and damage. Within 30 minutes they were done and gone. Only thing they didn't take was any of the Beats amplifier, speakers or subwoofer otherwise the car would have been stripped completely. The Police disappointingly didn't do anything to help me or go out of their way to find the person who broke into the car despite CCTV images. The car had been in the garage for just short of 2 months having the necessary repairs done to it. I have just recently this past week received the car back.

Here's a picture of the damage:

Moving swiftly on...

My stupid mistake (Police Incident)

To understand whether the harassment I am experiencing is justified I must be completely honest with you. Here's some key background information.

Roughly March 2021: I had been pulled by a Police BMW (blue lights) and stopped just after a bypass that I was not familiar with for doing 87mph in a 50mph zone (Speed Gun). Apparently it's an area which the police monitor a lot due to the bypasses likeness to a motorway. It goes from a 70mph zone to almost instantly to a 50mph. I must say this does not condone and excuse any of my actions but as in the notice I received from the Police Officer, I was driving in 2 OF 2 lane, clear day, clear road with no car or pedestrians in sight. The police officer advised that I should expect something in the next 2 weeks through the post. Never received anything until early August (Court Notice). I pleaded guilty and I am expecting to hear something very soon. Once issuing, he did kindly advice that due to the profile of the car, it's necessary to have an Immobiliser due to the likeliness of the car being stolen or broken into.

Here's where I'm starting to feel as though there's a marker or my car or driving profile.

I have been stopped twice by police without committing an offence. Multiple times I have noticed Police drive past my car, break almost instantly, turn around and head towards the direction I am going to do full checks on my car, in which had lead to police interactions that were patronising, interrogating and rude at time despite my manners, politeness and respect. I must also note, everything regarding documentation for the car and myself is up-to-date as expected; for example; insurance and tax etc...

Yesterday: Police Incident

Last night I was driving through a village that is very close to home at approximately 10:00pm with my brother after a football match. We both noticed a Police car drive past. Due to our experiences with Police we both instantly dread the worse and check if they are going to do a full 'U turn'. The Police car continued ahead but 2 cars behind that Police car was another Peugeot Police Car which to our fear did a full 'U Turn' and proceeded to follow behind with a car in-between both myself and the police car. I approached a traffic light operated roundabout 1 of 3 lanes. I took the middle lane to go the direct of home, and this police car followed in 3 of 3 lane. I had my window open and this Police car had a male and a female, the female put her window down and patronisingly asked 'OKAY LADS?' with a smirk. I replied, 'YES THANK YOU' whilst trying to not get into any unnecessary trouble and even look at the police due to previous interactions where I experienced rude police members. By looks of things, the female police officer was smirking, laughing at her male officer whilst trying to intimidate myself and my brother (I was not looking directly at the female officer). The traffic lights were turning green so I said 'HAVE A LOVELY EVENING OFFICER' as she rudely said 'WHAT? WHAT DID YOU SAY' whilst she stopped laughing and looking almost disgusted. So I repeated, and she said 'YOU TOO' whilst she looked down at her device and followed up with my 'YOU TOO (MY FULL NAME)' as the Police car sharply left the traffic lights, the female officer turned around, laughing and sniggering about the interaction.

This is one of many many many incidents I have had with the Police. I honestly feel harassed, constantly on edge and whenever I see a police car rather than feel safe I feel as though I am targeted as a criminal and they are wanting to find an excuse to belittle and embarrass me. Every time I end up having a altercation or interaction with the police I mention it to family members and last night my family had mentioned that it's got to the point where they believe it's harassment and they fear every time I drive the car that something bad is going to happen.

Like I have said, that was the recent incident but there's many many more where it's lead to them doing full searches, asking for my details even though I've not committed an offence and I must say they are extremely RUDE to me despite how respectful and polite I am to them.
  • Do you have any problems with the Police with the car?
  • Do you have an experiences of this happening to you since having a GTI or anything near to it's profile?
  • Is this something I should expect whilst driving this type of car?
  • Do you have any advice for me regarding the experiences I'm consistently having?

I'd love to hear from your experiences and any advice you have regarding this because I'm trying to do research around this because it's got to the point where I do feel targeted and harassed by police despite since the incident not committing any offences.

Thank you guys!
SRGTD
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: 2020 AW Polo GTI+, Pure White.

Re: POLO GTI+ | Police Trouble

Post by SRGTD »

Hi Tom. I thought your prolonged absence might have meant you’ve gone over to the dark side and swapped your GTI+ for a…………….Fiesta ST 😯 or even an EV!

Sorry to hear of your misfortune of your car being broken into - it really annoys me when I hear of incidents like this and the perpetrators feel the have the right to help themselves to someone else’s hard earned property. Hopefully, now you’ve got it back you can enjoy it again. Do you normally garage your car when you’re not using it? Although I live in a low crime area, I garage my car - out of sight (from would be perpetrators and temptation) is out of mind.

From reading your post, it does sound as if the police may have put some form of marker on your car - either that, or you’ve been extremely unlucky. I’ve owned hot or warm hatchbacks since the early 1980’s and maybe I’ve just been lucky, but I’ve not (yet) been stopped by the police. I’m certainly wouldn’t consider being stopped regularly to be normal, unless the police in some parts of the country automatically place a marker on certain types of vehicle. Maybe there are forum members with police connections who might be able to comment on this?

Good that you’re back! 🙂
Andy Beats
Drives: Nissan Leaf 40KW (and Polo United)

Post by Andy Beats »

No police issues with the Polo GTi, or any other GTi I've had.
No issues with cars that looked fancier either (My Alpina BMW had bigger wheels, boot spoiler and looked far more aggressive than the Polo).
I suppose it's possible your car has become known where you live, maybe you're unlucky that a known drug dealer drives one.
Or maybe....i hate to say it....there's 'something' about your driving that attracts attention.
Being under the speed limit isn't everything, maybe they see you as a bit erratic or jerky etc.
lancslad1985
Gold Member
Drives: 2020 polo gti plus

Post by lancslad1985 »

I never once got pulled over in my gti, gtd, blue gt or even when I’ve borrowed a scirocco R.

What I would ask Tom is how old are you if you don’t mind me asking? My sisters ex bf many years ago drove an old polo gti and was forever getting stopped - he didn’t play loud music, didn’t mod his car or drive fast and had never been done for speeding. The police just decided as a young lad with a fast car they’d eventually get him for something. The other issue is they’ve caught you once and they obviously expect with a hot hatch they’ll get you again as the stereotype of the boy racer that hoons around.

Personally I’d consider making a complaint but I’d just make sure you record any interactions with them in future. Get a dash cam in your car as then you’d have footage of having done nothing wrong yet being pulled over. Get one with a microphone as well as that would have recorded your conversation with the officers.
SRGTD

Post by SRGTD »

I have a cousin who’s from a privileged background 🤔. Back in the 1980’s when he was in his early 20’s, he was fortunate enough to have a nearly new Porsche 911 Turbo - the 930 with the large ‘whale tail’ on the rear, and bulging wheel arches. He was always getting stopped by the police in the adjoining village to where he lived. I think the combination of his age and the type of car and the apparent determination of local village constabulary meant it was almost inevitable he would be stopped regularly.

When he eventually sold the 911 it was replaced with a more normal car, and the local police seemed to lose all interest in him.
S_94
Gold Member

Post by S_94 »

Welcome back Tom. I remember your posts when you were waiting for delivery, that's been a quick year!

Sorry to hear about your car being broken into, that's a constant fear for me. Really pisses me off when people think they have a right to do that for something you've worked hard for. Glad the car is back and fingers crossed that never happens again. I'm basically like the nosy neighbour from Harry Enfield these days, always checking on the car. A few nights back I could hear a load of Chavs racing up and down the roads on a moped, I noticed three of them on foot close behind who stopped and were staring at my car (looking inside) and talking about it for about 30 seconds. I was watching them for the duration, they took off and haven't seen then since, that night I was on edge though.

Regarding the issue with the police, I must say I've been lucky for the 9-10 years I've been driving. It's a GTI so as you'd expect I do put my foot down on occasions, but never been stopped.

My brother however, who has my old car, a MK5 Golf, has been pulled over 5-6 times over the last two years. Like yourself he said on every occasion he's been driving at the speed limit and obeying the laws of the road, but always seems to get pulled over. He works late shifts as well so it's always early hours of the morning, guessing the Police are bored and want something to do.

Very frustrating situation and I hope you don't get harassed going forward, would put me on edge going out.
stevereeves
Silver Member
Drives: Atlantic Blue '21 Mk8 Golf 1.5 6sp Style

Post by stevereeves »

So sorry for the OP re: car issues. Re:the police, you almost never know, sometimes some people just keep being pulled over 'just because', others seemingly never at all....
grazuncle2
Silver Member
Drives: Polo 1.0 TSI SE 2019

Post by grazuncle2 »

S_94 wrote: Mon Sep 20, 2021 7:40 pm

My brother however, who has my old car, a MK5 Golf, has been pulled over 5-6 times over the last two years. Like yourself he said on every occasion he's been driving at the speed limit and obeying the laws of the road, but always seems to get pulled over. He works late shifts as well so it's always early hours of the morning, guessing the Police are bored and want something to do.

Very frustrating situation and I hope you don't get harassed going forward, would put me on edge going out.
There is something in this - nothing to do so find something.

I used to live in what you might consider a side road with Victorian terraced housing. I got up early for work and went out to the car (parked right outside my house) it was in a line of cars against the pavement like everyone else.. no gaps. Got in to front seat and noticed a police ticket on the screen... I took a quick look but could not figure the 'offence'. BTW the offence was cited at 03:15. Checked the car over and went to work. When i got home i had to look up the cited offence number which revealed 'car positioned (parked) facing the wrong way. Apparently you are supposed to park in the direction of road use.

I went to my local police station (remember them?) and asked to see someone at the desk. I just handed the slip to him and asked what is the meaning of this? (playing stupid and let him tell me what it meant) He told me. I asked why, if the officer had already looked up the reg, he would have worked out that the owner was living right next to it would not just tell me to move it, than fine me? I told him I would rather have been woken from bed and told to move it if it was that important.

His eyes rolled... He said I'll have a word with him (meaning the officer who gave the ticket) I agree that an offence is an offence but the desk policeman obviously thought it was beyond the pale.

I feel for the OP
Andy Beats

Post by Andy Beats »

S_94 wrote: Mon Sep 20, 2021 7:40 pm He works late shifts as well so it's always early hours of the morning, guessing the Police are bored and want something to do.
Harsh to criticise the police here.
A high performance car being driven in the early hours, when most car thefts happen, is surely worthy of suspicion.
SRGTD

Post by SRGTD »

Andy Beats wrote: Tue Sep 21, 2021 9:57 am
S_94 wrote: Mon Sep 20, 2021 7:40 pm He works late shifts as well so it's always early hours of the morning, guessing the Police are bored and want something to do.
A high performance car being driven in the early hours, when most car thefts happen, is surely worthy of suspicion.
It’s the mk5 Golf that’s being driven in the early hours - not a Polo GTI. We’ve not been told whether it’s a performance mk5 Golf or not, so it could be a small engined, lower powered model, rather than a performance Golf.
My brother however, who has my old car, a MK5 Golf, has been pulled over 5-6 times over the last two years.

He works late shifts as well so it's always early hours of the morning, guessing the Police are bored and want something to do.
S_94
Gold Member

Post by S_94 »

grazuncle2 wrote: Tue Sep 21, 2021 9:32 am

There is something in this - nothing to do so find something.

I used to live in what you might consider a side road with Victorian terraced housing. I got up early for work and went out to the car (parked right outside my house) it was in a line of cars against the pavement like everyone else.. no gaps. Got in to front seat and noticed a police ticket on the screen... I took a quick look but could not figure the 'offence'. BTW the offence was cited at 03:15. Checked the car over and went to work. When i got home i had to look up the cited offence number which revealed 'car positioned (parked) facing the wrong way. Apparently you are supposed to park in the direction of road use.

I went to my local police station (remember them?) and asked to see someone at the desk. I just handed the slip to him and asked what is the meaning of this? (playing stupid and let him tell me what it meant) He told me. I asked why, if the officer had already looked up the reg, he would have worked out that the owner was living right next to it would not just tell me to move it, than fine me? I told him I would rather have been woken from bed and told to move it if it was that important.

His eyes rolled... He said I'll have a word with him (meaning the officer who gave the ticket) I agree that an offence is an offence but the desk policeman obviously thought it was beyond the pale.

I feel for the OP
That's a joke. I think the term is 'Jobsworth' isn't it... :roll:
SRGTD wrote: Tue Sep 21, 2021 10:19 am
Andy Beats wrote: Tue Sep 21, 2021 9:57 am
It’s the mk5 Golf that’s being driven in the early hours - not a Polo GTI. We’ve not been told whether it’s a performance mk5 Golf or not, so it could be a small engined, lower powered model, rather than a performance Golf.
My brother however, who has my old car, a MK5 Golf, has been pulled over 5-6 times over the last two years.

He works late shifts as well so it's always early hours of the morning, guessing the Police are bored and want something to do.
Yep it's a bog standard 1.9 TDI MK5 Golf. No modifications, no loud exhaust or body kits.

In some regards I'd understand if it was the GTI, but still don't the Police have Databases where they can scan number plates for stolen cars? Being pulled over that many times would start to wind you up.
grazuncle2
Silver Member
Drives: Polo 1.0 TSI SE 2019

Post by grazuncle2 »

S_94 wrote: Tue Sep 21, 2021 10:35 am

In some regards I'd understand if it was the GTI, but still don't the Police have Databases where they can scan number plates for stolen cars? Being pulled over that many times would start to wind you up.
they should also know 'how many times' it has been stopped you'd think..
Andy Beats

Post by Andy Beats »

S_94 wrote: Tue Sep 21, 2021 10:35 am Yep it's a bog standard 1.9 TDI MK5 Golf. No modifications, no loud exhaust or body kits.
I'm not sure it really matters, it's a car being driven in the early hours by a single male.
it's a no-win situation for the police, they'd get equal grief for ignoring a car that may have been stolen (but not reported as stolen yet as the owner is sleeping).
I don't know if they can put flags in their system saying "leave this guy alone, he gets stopped all the time"
I don't know if there's an easy answer at all, damned if they do and damned if they don't.
I drive home in the early hours all the time, I rarely see a police car at all....
Evidently you live in a higher crime area, maybe with high car crime in particular.
Short of moving, no clue what the answer is....and yes I can fully understand it would get annoying.
MrTomOates
Bronze Member

Post by MrTomOates »

It's actually class that there's the usual familiar faces (or names :lol:) on here, nice to see you all again! :)
I'd reply to all of the messages and tag you all but it's been a long while since I've been on here and quite frankly I'd probably make a balls of it. :lol:

@SRGTD I can't quite believe you'd think so low of me to even have that thought run through my head :lol:

I appreciate greatly for all of your replies, advice and experiences. I've read all of the replies and I'll try my best to respond or touch upon most of them.

I am a 24 year old, white male. Whether it should matter or not. As for my driving, I can honestly say there's nothing unusual or frightening about my driving :lol: No jerkiness or erratic behaviour. I can honestly say as well that I know that the times I've noticed police either 'U TURN' or have stopped to interact with me is when I am abiding by the law and just simply going from A to B, no offence or crime committed.

That a really good point as well that @Grazuncle2 has made and it does make me question. Do you reckon when Police run checks on the car there's something visibly alerting them from initial searches that this particular car has been stopped X AMOUNT OF TIMES with reasons etc etc... ??

I must also say that from the very first day of collecting the car, patrolling around built up cities where traffic is high to moderate, any Police that was in the opposite direction would double glance at the car when driving past - whether this is something to experience with the sort of car but from that very moment I knew that I was no longer invisible to the Police driving the GTI (first car was the Vauxhall Corsa :lol:).
lancslad1985
Gold Member
Drives: 2020 polo gti plus

Post by lancslad1985 »

There’s definitely something on the police system that flags vehicles that have been stopped recently. Which then means you’re in a perpetual cycle as they’ll pull you over on the off chance. My aforementioned sister’s ex bf stopped having issues when he changed his car.

I suspect part of it is you’re a 24 year old lad in a high powered car so they’re assuming you’re a boy racer. The police do like their stereotypes.