Michelin PS4's

Chat about your 2018+ AW/BZ model Polos here!
German_Fartbox
New
Drives: Polo GTI 2.0 DSG (2020)

Re: Michelin PS4's

Post by German_Fartbox »

Andy Beats wrote: Fri Sep 24, 2021 9:23 am
German_Fartbox wrote: Fri Sep 24, 2021 8:39 am I thought you never took the GTI out of Drive Andy?
'D' doesn't stop you flooring it, you don't have to put it into 'S' or the stupid playstation mode to get performance.
There weren't many days I wasn't well over three figures on my way home (via private test track)
I'd still be doing it now if the Leaf wasn't restricted to 95mph :(
No it doesn't stop you flooring it. But the car does not perform the same in drive as it does in sport or manual (if you have the right settings).
monkeyhanger
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: Audi A4 Avant Quattro 40 TDI, Polo GTI+

Post by monkeyhanger »

German_Fartbox wrote: Fri Sep 24, 2021 10:22 am
German_Fartbox wrote: Fri Sep 24, 2021 8:39 am I thought you never took the GTI out of Drive Andy?
'D' doesn't stop you flooring it, you don't have to put it into 'S' or the stupid playstation mode to get performance.
There weren't many days I wasn't well over three figures on my way home (via private test track)
No it doesn't stop you flooring it. But the car does not perform the same in drive as it does in sport or manual (if you have the right settings).
If you floor it in any setting beyond the clicky bit of the pedal, you'll override the dulled throttle response of normal/eco and get full Sport throttle response. The gear change thresholds tied to your driving mode will remain.

In that situation the only difference vs being in Sport is that Sport might you hanging onto a lower gear for longer.

If you just leave your car in Sport all the time, the throttle response reverts to that of normal/comfort on next ignition cycle. When you select something and then
Sport again, the Sport throttle response is back.
monkeyhanger

Post by monkeyhanger »

Private test track? :lol:

3 figures in a stone cold engine on a 3 mile journey home, uphill - I feel sorry for whoever bought that car next!
German_Fartbox
New

Post by German_Fartbox »

monkeyhanger wrote: Fri Sep 24, 2021 10:40 am Private test track? :lol:

3 figures in a stone cold engine on a 3 mile journey home, uphill - I feel sorry for whoever bought that car next!
I can always smell something when I read Andy's responses if I'm being perfectly honest...
German_Fartbox
New

Post by German_Fartbox »

monkeyhanger wrote: Fri Sep 24, 2021 10:38 am

If you floor it in any setting beyond the clicky bit of the pedal, you'll override the dulled throttle response of normal/eco and get full Sport throttle response. The gear change thresholds tied to your driving mode will remain.

In that situation the only difference vs being in Sport is that Sport might you hanging onto a lower gear for longer.

If you just leave your car in Sport all the time, the throttle response reverts to that of normal/comfort on next ignition cycle. When you select something and then
I have my car in Individual driver settings all the time and bounce between manual and drive. So the car is basically in 'sport' the whole time aside from hanging in the gear when its in Drive. The throttle and brake do NOT change at all, they stay in the twitchy sport mode all the time. Where are you getting this info from? Blasting your cold car uphill 100+ probably wrecked it so it might not be the best vehicle to compare??? :lol:
Andy Beats
Drives: Nissan Leaf 40KW (and Polo United)

Post by Andy Beats »

monkeyhanger wrote: Fri Sep 24, 2021 10:40 am Private test track? :lol:

Well run in.
Andy Beats

Post by Andy Beats »

Nonsense.
Flooring it is flooring it, the car doesn't go any faster in a straight line in any particular mode.
Andy Beats

Post by Andy Beats »

German_Fartbox wrote: Fri Sep 24, 2021 10:49 am I can always smell something when I read Andy's responses if I'm being perfectly honest...
It's no skin off my nose if you don't believe me. :D
Every night, over three figures flat out up a short stretch of *private test track* on my way home.
Literally nowhere for the police to sit, I'm far from the only one that uses this short stretch to blast it.
monkeyhanger

Post by monkeyhanger »

German_Fartbox wrote: Fri Sep 24, 2021 10:52 am
monkeyhanger wrote: Fri Sep 24, 2021 10:38 am

I have my car in Individual driver settings all the time and bounce between manual and drive. So the car is basically in 'sport' the whole time aside from hanging in the gear when its in Drive. The throttle and brake do NOT change at all, they stay in the twitchy sport mode all the time. Where are you getting this info from? Blasting your cold car uphill 100+ probably wrecked it so it might not be the best vehicle to compare??? :lol:
I think you're mixing me and Andy up.a bit there.

Not sure what you're getting at with "the brake", brake function doesn't differ between modes (or do you mean BHP?).

When a car is in a certain driving mode (even individual), the throttle response reverts to that associated with normal/comfort on the next ignition cycle, no matter what it indicates it's in. All my VWs have acted like this since they started coming with driving modes-

2013 Golf 7 GTD
2015 Golf 7 R
2018 Polo GTI+
2019 Polo GTI+

Even our 2 ID3s do this.

I'd leave the Golf R in "Race".(it has race rather than sport) and next time I use it, it's not as responsive until I flicked out of Race and back into it. Same story with them all. You wouldn't notice it unless you're hoofing it. Presumably it's a deliberate compliance design to save fuel unless you opt not to - but it is annoying. The DSG box reverts back to D every ignition cycle too if it's left in Sport next time you use it - you have to select out one back into Sport, or select S with a pullback of the gearstick.

Pushing the throttle past the clicky bit overrides whatever throttle dulling is going on. If the engine is already in Sport/Race (selected on the current ignition cycle), it'll make no odds. If you're trundling along in Eco and put your foot down, then you'll really notice.

Full throttle in any mode past the clicky bit of the accelerator pedal gives same response, only differentiator is the gearbox mode. Given that the Polo GTI's engine runs out of puff at about 5500rpm and has plenty of low down torque, there's not really any advantage of holding onto a lower gear longer under high throttle load with S mode on the gearbox - just gives you lots of noise as the car revs a lot but doesn't really offer any more power above 5500rpm