Remap 2018 Polo Beats 95

Chat about your 2018+ AW/BZ model Polos here!
RichieCUK1986
New
Drives: GT Blue

Re: Remap 2018 Polo Beats 95

Post by RichieCUK1986 »

Harrihealey02 wrote: Sat Sep 25, 2021 5:00 pm Remap reliability is good if you go with a reputable company such as superchips (remap kings) or AMD tuning etc. The east engines are software limited is so they can bring out more power in the exact same engine in a newer model in the future to entice more buyers. The engines are designed to run in all different kinds of countries with different fuel qualities etc. and biggest concern for retailers is that they build in the possibility of missed service intervals so they have to be softer for more bulletproof durability. If you remap which I would suggest, then change your engine oil every 8 or 10k miles as the engine will require you to stick to the oil service interval strictly.
That sounds brilliant. I've heard some people saying the car would.need a different clutch if I got it remapped. I know nothing about cars.

I would go to Superchips for the remap and I always get my car serviced every year on time so hopefully that would help
RichieCUK1986
New

Post by RichieCUK1986 »

Harrihealey02 wrote: Sat Sep 25, 2021 5:00 pm Remap reliability is good if you go with a reputable company such as superchips (remap kings) or AMD tuning etc. The east engines are software limited is so they can bring out more power in the exact same engine in a newer model in the future to entice more buyers. The engines are designed to run in all different kinds of countries with different fuel qualities etc. and biggest concern for retailers is that they build in the possibility of missed service intervals so they have to be softer for more bulletproof durability. If you remap which I would suggest, then change your engine oil every 8 or 10k miles as the engine will require you to stick to the oil service interval strictly.
Remap kings have an offer atm and it's only £234 for the remap which sounds good value to me.
monkeyhanger
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: Audi A4 Avant Quattro 40 TDI, Polo GTI+

Post by monkeyhanger »

RichieCUK1986 wrote: Sat Sep 25, 2021 7:14 pm
That sounds brilliant. I've heard some people saying the car would.need a different clutch if I got it remapped. I know nothing about cars.

I would go to Superchips for the remap and I always get my car serviced every year on time so hopefully that would help
That sounds like the blurb remap companies roll out to persuade you that you have nothing to worry about when you remap, but almost never put up and give you a drivetrain warranty should the worst happen. For different markets with different expected minimum fuel quality, different emissions standards and different temperature/humidity profiles, VW will have regional maps e.g. a car for UK/Northern Europe will be set up differently from the same car with an intended market in Sub Saharan Africa.

If you up your torque considerably, you are quite likely to fry your clutch and need a more resilient one fitted.

When I had a Golf R, unmodified, the clutch would slip under very cold conditions. For pretty much every manual Golf GTI owner who had a remap to get then up from 230-245ps/380Nm to around 300ps/450Nm, the clutch was fried in no time and had to be swapped out for a Sach sintered or organic clutch. That says to me that there is pretty much zero headroom on the clutches that the Golf has. I'd imagine the Polo's will be no better.

For DSG boxes you may need a gearbox remap to increase the clutch plate clamping pressure.

You might find the 95ps and 115ps variants of a 1.0TSI share a lot of components, so fine to get that 95 up a bit without issue. However, when you're pushing to 140ps and 20% more torque, you're well beyond any existing variants of that engine.

If you get a drivetrain fault that requires warranty work, if increased output could be suspected as a cause, you are running the risk of the work being refused if the remap is detected either directly or indirectly (logged implausible values for running parameters).
RichieCUK1986
New

Post by RichieCUK1986 »

monkeyhanger wrote: Sat Sep 25, 2021 7:46 pm

That sounds like the blurb remap companies roll out to persuade you that you have nothing to worry about when you remap, but almost never put up and give you a drivetrain warranty should the worst happen. For different markets with different expected minimum fuel quality, different emissions standards and different temperature/humidity profiles, VW will have regional maps e.g. a car for UK/Northern Europe will be set up differently from the same car with an intended market in Sub Saharan Africa.

If you up your torque considerably, you are quite likely to fry your clutch and need a more resilient one fitted.

When I had a Golf R, unmodified, the clutch would slip under very cold conditions. For pretty much every manual Golf GTI owner who had a remap to get then up from 230-245ps/380Nm to around 300ps/450Nm, the clutch was fried in no time and had to be swapped out for a Sach sintered or organic clutch. That says to me that there is pretty much zero headroom on the clutches that the Golf has. I'd imagine the Polo's will be no better.

For DSG boxes you may need a gearbox remap to increase the clutch plate clamping pressure.

You might find the 95ps and 115ps variants of a 1.0TSI share a lot of components, so fine to get that 95 up a bit without issue. However, when you're pushing to 140ps and 20% more torque, you're well beyond any existing variants of that engine.

If you get a drivetrain fault that requires warranty work, if increased output could be suspected as a cause, you are running the risk of the work being refused if the remap is detected either directly or indirectly (logged implausible values for running parameters).

You make some really good points there.

According to remap kings I would get a +37 difference in bhp from 94 to 131 and a +81 in torque from 160 to 241.

So I assume this is out of tolerance and would lead to a drive train fault?
monkeyhanger
Drives: Audi A4 Avant Quattro 40 TDI, Polo GTI+

Post by monkeyhanger »

RichieCUK1986 wrote: Sat Sep 25, 2021 11:41 pm
monkeyhanger wrote: Sat Sep 25, 2021 7:46 pm

You make some really good points there.

According to remap kings I would get a +37 difference in bhp from 94 to 131 and a +81 in torque from 160 to 241.

So I assume this is out of tolerance and would lead to a drive train fault?
I can't say for sure what the tolerances are, but a 50% increase torque is huge for any drivetrain. I would have no confidence at all that the clutch would cope more than a few thousand miles. Those injectors, fuel pump and turbo will be working a lot harder, but my money would be on the clutch going quickly and you needing a more resilient one that isn't a VW OEM part - £800 ish fully fitted.

Those Golf GTI clutches were fried with a 15% increase in torque (the diesels) clutches seem to be far more resilient to remap/tuning boxes).
Andy Beats
Drives: Nissan Leaf 40KW (and Polo United)

Post by Andy Beats »

I bought a racechips tuning box for my 95Tsi, never even got around to fitting it, car was gone before I could get around to it.
It's stage 1 that says +19bhp and +32NM
It must be in the garage somewhere, still boxed. :roll: :D
Rosinfield
Bronze Member
Drives: 2018 AW GTI

Post by Rosinfield »

What's also of importance is the way you handle the car. Always take care to warm the engine up before going all the way. The specs are also set at a certain level to prevent warranty claims by people who don't care about driving the engine warm. There is a fair margin. I had 4 cars remapped. 2 1.2 tsi's (from 105 to 140 hp, torque 250 Nm), 1 1.0 tsi (about the same) and now my GTI (from 200 to 272 hp, from 320 to 450 Nm). In all cases I also had my DSG remapped and I would always advise to do so (in case of a DSG).
Also note that the standard power is always already somewhat more than the factory specs
Cornish Lass
New
Drives: GTI

Post by Cornish Lass »

Hi. I have a 14 plate Blue GT 140 bhp. A couple of years ago I had a Race Chip (external mapping) put on. BHP went up to a claimed 170. Loved it, but it went wrong just after the warranty ran out. Typical. So, it came off and that was that. Last week, I had car remapped with a Pendle system. BHP 179. But....fuel consumption has dropped like a stone. Am finding the ACT 2 cylinder mode rarely cuts in, and No, I'm not driving like I stole it! Have contacted the garage and hope they can sort this out.
It's not about top end speed. No one can do that anyway but it is about torque.
Rosinfield
Bronze Member
Drives: 2018 AW GTI

Post by Rosinfield »

I am driving my 4th remapped car now. Have always had it done by one of the few reknowned VAG specialized firms here in the Netherlands. Never had any problems, neither did a lot of others. Seeking another (in most cases cheaper) solution will in general be ok, but not always.
LeebzP
New
Drives: 1.0 TSI R-Line - Energetic Orange

Post by LeebzP »

My 1.0 Tsi 70KW/175NM is going out of Warranty soon and I’m thinking of cleaning the intake valves and remapping it to at least roughly the same power as the 85kW/200Nm variant. I did a lot of research on the engine and found that the parts are identical except the latter uses sodium filled exhaust valves and obviously software changes.

Would it be too much to ask from my engine to bump up the power to match the highline model.
silverhairs
Gold Member
Drives: 2018 Polo SEL

Post by silverhairs »

Why purchase a 95 in the first place if you intend or want to get it chipped, for it to be legal you have to inform the insurance company, they might even push up the charges, then with the 95, if I remember, it only has drum rear brakes?