GTI (AW) REVO stage 1 Beta test review

Chat about your 2018+ AW/BZ model Polos here!
Jackgti
New
Drives: Polo GTi+ 2020

GTI (AW) REVO stage 1 Beta test review

Post by Jackgti »

Thought I’d write this post as a lot of the members here have mentioned wanting a stage 1 but have been patiently waiting for a reputable company such as REVO/Racingline to release it.

I recently was contacted by a garage to take part in the BETA test for the REVO stage 1 for the GTi, I had the map installed earlier this week and just updating the differences to see if those members would feel it would be worth it!

First off, the product is still unavailable, it is due to be release during November after some final tweaking using the testers logs so that’s good news!

In terms of differences:

The stage one software provides a 65hp & 105nm gain. Putting the vehicle at around 262hp and 425nm.

The power difference is honestly unreal and nothing that I expected. I am still running factory bridge stones on the front with around 5mm tread and the power delivery is very smooth and I rarely break traction (unless wet).

The jerky drive from the vehicle when stock felt very jittery and the car didn’t know what gear to be in. The remap has reduced this but not completely - the car now feels a lot smoother when driver at slower speeds in sports mode but can sometime change up at 4000rpm in second if you floor it just before the car was about to change up. - the release has said a gearbox remap will fix these issues but I haven’t had this done yet.

A few users here mentioned that they want a little more kick at the top end as the car dies after 4500rpm, this certainly fixes the issue but it adds a hell of a lot more kick in the lower gears and across the entire rev range which may make your general driving not as comfortable.

In terms of realistic MPG, prior to the remap I was achieving the following; long journeys of 80 mile + = 48-53mpg cruising. Medium journeys of 20/30 miles = 40-42mpg and short journeys = 28-33mpg.

After the remap these numbers looks similar but the mpg isn’t as good.

Long journeys = 44-46mpg.
Medium = 38-40mpg
Short = 30mpg & less 99% of the time.

As for the map I would say it’s 100% worth it, I just wanted to share my experience with the map as I’ve had the opportunity to get it early.

I will update this thread after the 2 week mark and then after a month to see if it’s caused any problem etc.

Hope this is useful to someone!
OomStu_ZA
Gold Member
Drives: 2019 VW Polo GTi

Re: GTI (AW) REVO stage 1 Beta test review

Post by OomStu_ZA »

Thanks for the feedback.
I am curious to hear if Revo will offer a stage 1 map for the ECU and a seperate map for the DSG, or, are the two combined into one package?
Jackgti
New

Post by Jackgti »

Hi mate, as part of the test I only have a ECU tune and no TCU tune, as a part of my feedback I will be stating that the gears are jerky and hesistant still but not as bad as before the tune.

As far as I’m aware from what I was told, there is no TCU tune with the stage 1 but this may change with the feedback they receive!
S_94
Gold Member
Drives: Polo GTI+

Post by S_94 »

Thanks for the write-up Jack. Sounds really promising and I'm glad everything has gone smooth so far and you're enjoying it. :)

The jerky gearbox has been the one thing about the car that really annoys me, especially when coming down the gears. If they were to release a DSG tune to fix those issues that would be great.

Please keep us updated! :)
Rosinfield
Bronze Member
Drives: 2018 AW GTI

Post by Rosinfield »

My experience (272 HP/450 Nm, done in The Netherlands) is the same, most important change is after 4500 rpm (my 100 - 200 km/h went from 20+ to 14,5).
Had my DSG remapped also, which is I would say almost mandatory.
Jackgti
New

Post by Jackgti »

Yes it is much more fun and has made me fall in love with the car again as I was fairly disappointing with the 200hp it came with stock as it felt pretty poor.

I think in future I will get my DSG remapped soon after the map is finalised and am even considering getting a wavetrac LSD and then I’m sure the car will shift :P
MattHGR
Bronze Member
Drives: GTI+

Post by MattHGR »

Do you have the oil temperature readings on your dashboard when driving?
I'd be interested to see what the temperatures are when driving normally, to see if the map has caused any changes here.

Obviously they'll be hotter when you're demanding power, but I'd be interested to see the normal driving temps.

Also, any clutch slip? Thought these DSGs were only rated for around 350nm stock
Rosinfield
Bronze Member

Post by Rosinfield »

This DSG can handle much more, but as said it's wise to have it remapped too. For driveability and increased clamp limit and clamp force. Apart from this my DSG stage 2 remap contained optimizing the shift rpm's, adaptation of max shift rpm, optimized shifting speed and no kickdown when in manual
Jackgti
New

Post by Jackgti »

MattHGR wrote: Mon Oct 04, 2021 12:57 am Do you have the oil temperature readings on your dashboard when driving?
I'd be interested to see what the temperatures are when driving normally, to see if the map has caused any changes here.

Obviously they'll be hotter when you're demanding power, but I'd be interested to see the normal driving temps.

Also, any clutch slip? Thought these DSGs were only rated for around 350nm stock
Hi, yes so I didn’t take much notice of my oil temps before the remap.

I always make sure the oil is above 80degrees before booting it.

When I’ve been driving on motorway for about 140 miles it sits around 96/97 degrees, under a good load can go up to 103/104degrees.

No slip for the clutch, the guys who did the remap have checked that when running at 420nm it hits peak torque for the gearbox with no issues so I think the 350nm stock has a good bit of room.

I thought they were rated for 350nm but when asked they said it’s all been tested and checked and the torque the map offers was sustainable.

Have done about 1000 miles since having it done as I have been travelling to wales and back a couple times and have hit any issues, actually managed 51mpg on one of the journeys back
Jackgti
New

Post by Jackgti »

Rosinfield wrote: Mon Oct 04, 2021 5:32 am This DSG can handle much more, but as said it's wise to have it remapped too. For driveability and increased clamp limit and clamp force. Apart from this my DSG stage 2 remap contained optimizing the shift rpm's, adaptation of max shift rpm, optimized shifting speed and no kickdown when in manual
Yes in terms of negatives from the remap, I have noticed it will kick down to second and then hesitate a minute and sometimes go straight to third but this is down to the gearbox. Will definitely remap gearbox soon, not too concerned right now.
Jackgti
New

Post by Jackgti »

Also quick update for UK insurance costs as I know a lot of people think about this before getting it done.

I am 23 years old, I live in York and have done since driving.

I have 6 years NCB and driving since 17. 6th year NCB just earned.

The insurance policy is for me but also has my girlfriend on it who is also 23 with 6 years no claims, but she has a not at fault claim on her file. (She drives a TCR)

My costs are £470 for the year declaring the remap with Admiral Premium, pretty good costs and better than expected.

Adrian flux also quoted me £475 but that didn’t have windscreen cover.
Starkblood1980
New
Drives: Gti

Post by Starkblood1980 »

Have you had the car on a dyno?
Jackgti
New

Post by Jackgti »

Starkblood1980 wrote: Sun Oct 17, 2021 5:57 pm Have you had the car on a dyno?
Hi mate, it was on a dyno a couple weeks ago just after I got it done, I’ll dig out the sheet and post it when I can.
Rosinfield
Bronze Member

Post by Rosinfield »

Why did you bury the sheet?
Noonoo632
Getting There!
Drives: 2020 polo sel 115ps

Post by Noonoo632 »

Rosinfield wrote: Thu Oct 21, 2021 6:20 am Why did you bury the sheet?
🤣🤣🤣🤣🤭🤭🤭