Polo GTi + 207 hp

Chat about your 2018+ AW/BZ model Polos here!
Manclad
New
Drives: GTi +

Polo GTi + 207 hp

Post by Manclad »

Hi all

Looking at a runout GTi+ but it's a long drive so not test drove yet. I test drove the 200 ps and apart from the small power bump and 7speed rather than 6 speed, does it drive any diffently? Cheers.
SRGTD
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: 2020 AW Polo GTI+, Pure White.

Re: Polo GTi + 207 hp

Post by SRGTD »

I don’t think there were any changes to to the suspension / chassis set up for the run out pre-facelift models. I’m not certain, but there may have been some tech changes / upgrades though such as lane assist, SOS emergency call, OTA sat nav map updates etc.
Manclad
New

Post by Manclad »

Lovely thanks. Probably small changes then. I'd imagine the 7 speed box is smoother than 6.
Rosinfield
Bronze Member
Drives: 2018 AW GTI

Post by Rosinfield »

Why would it be? Besides I find the 6 box very smooth compared with the 7 box in smaller engines.
monkeyhanger
Drives: Audi A4 Avant Quattro 40 TDI, Polo GTI+

Post by monkeyhanger »

Manclad wrote: Sun Oct 03, 2021 7:52 pm Lovely thanks. Probably small changes then. I'd imagine the 7 speed box is smoother than 6.
Do we even know which 7 speed box the facelift GTI will have? Dry clutch box like the smaller output cars have? If so, that'll be the highest output that box has ever been nated to at stock - definitely no ceiling for a remap.

If it's the wet 7 speed box, there's plenty of scope to increase power. I had that box on my A4 and the ratios it had, it only really spent time in 7th going 75+ mph, improving motorway mpg considerably vs 6th. I found it smoth in operation
Manclad
New

Post by Manclad »

Thanks Monkeyhangar. I'd be amazed if it was anything other than the wet box 7speed used in Golf, Octavia and Audi. I think they used the old 6speed in Polo GTi for the reason you say it's was an issue in mk 5 polo and torque restricted. I have 7 speed in my Octavia and a lovely box.
Rosinfield
Bronze Member

Post by Rosinfield »

For the 6 box there also is ample room for increased power. Torque can be increased up to 450 Nm (mine) at least without any problem. It should be said it would also be wise to have the box remapped to. But I guess that goes as well for the 7 wet box.
monkeyhanger
Drives: Audi A4 Avant Quattro 40 TDI, Polo GTI+

Post by monkeyhanger »

Rosinfield wrote: Mon Oct 04, 2021 2:04 pm For the 6 box there also is ample room for increased power. Torque can be increased up to 450 Nm (mine) at least without any problem. It should be said it would also be wise to have the box remapped to. But I guess that goes as well for the 7 wet box.
Yep, the wet boxes can handle large amounts of torque, they're just mapped from the factory with different amounts of clamping pressure to suit the engine its mated to.

The dry clutch 7 speed box handles much less power and torque but is more economical.

The wet clutch 7 speed was a great box on my A4 for motorway cruising. As a result, the A4 was more economical spending 90% of its time in 7th at 80mph than 20% of its time in 7th at 70mph (nowhere near the torque band, so only in 7th at 70mph when going downhill with hardly any torque needed.
Jackgti
New
Drives: Polo GTi+ 2020

Post by Jackgti »

After I found out the new polo had a 7 speed gearbox, I spoke to my dealer as I would’ve swapped my 6 speed out for it but they didn’t have too much information but my local VW garage said that the new gearbox is a 7 speed dry gearbox and mine is a wet and he said the wet gearbox is much more tuneable (I mentioned getting it tuned) and they suggested I stick with the 6 speed.

I think the DQ200 is what they’ve thrown in the new one but don’t take my word for it.
SRGTD
Drives: 2020 AW Polo GTI+, Pure White.

Post by SRGTD »

Jackgti wrote: Wed Oct 06, 2021 10:43 am After I found out the new polo had a 7 speed gearbox, I spoke to my dealer as I would’ve swapped my 6 speed out for it but they didn’t have too much information but my local VW garage said that the new gearbox is a 7 speed dry gearbox and mine is a wet and he said the wet gearbox is much more tuneable (I mentioned getting it tuned) and they suggested I stick with the 6 speed.

I think the DQ200 is what they’ve thrown in the new one but don’t take my word for it.
That’s a strange decision by VW - assuming the salesperson you were speaking to is correct (they’re not always). I’d have thought they’d have used the same 7 speed box that’s used in the Golf performance models.

Not that I’m considering ‘upgrading’ to the facelift model, but if the facelift Polo GTI has a 7 speed dry DSG and upgraded tech that may well use the same - or a variation of - the mk8 Golf’s gremlin-ridden software, that would make the decision easy for me. I’ll definitely be keeping my current GTI+.
Manclad
New

Post by Manclad »

Can't be DQ200 as VW had to cap torque to 184lb ft in old Polo as it can't handle higher. Possible new version but odd if so when as SRGTD says they have 7speed wet used in Octavia vrs 245 and Golf performance. I find I usually know more than salesman does 😃
Jackgti
New
Drives: Polo GTi+ 2020

Post by Jackgti »

Manclad wrote: Wed Oct 06, 2021 12:43 pm Can't be DQ200 as VW had to cap torque to 184lb ft in old Polo as it can't handle higher. Possible new version but odd if so when as SRGTD says they have 7speed wet used in Octavia vrs 245 and Golf performance. I find I usually know more than salesman does 😃
I always found the 7 speed in the old polo very well done and had a good amount of torque. I couldn’t imagine they would revert back to an older gearbox but these days you never know with the decisions these companies make
Rosinfield
Bronze Member

Post by Rosinfield »

It is a wet DSG 7 and not the dry version as in less powerfull cars like 1.0 and 1.2 tsi. It can and has to handle much more torque, like the DSG 6
DabGTi+
New
Drives: GTi+

Post by DabGTi+ »

Manclad wrote: Wed Oct 06, 2021 12:43 pm Can't be DQ200 as VW had to cap torque to 184lb ft in old Polo as it can't handle higher. Possible new version but odd if so when as SRGTD says they have 7speed wet used in Octavia vrs 245 and Golf performance. I find I usually know more than salesman does 😃
Just taken delivery of my new GTi+. Looks like it's the DQ381 (0GC) box. Torque up to 420Nm.
Manclad
New

Post by Manclad »

Got pipped to the post on the last unregistered 207hp. Back in the fold though as managed to get a fully loaded pre reg one with 21 miles on the clock. Picking up next Sunday. Epic negotiation though as current situation certainly gave them the strongest hand. Got there in the end at a price I was happy with based on a ridiculous amount of equity in my part ex. Worked out alright in the end. It’s been really hard getting a good car at the right price with everyone else trying to do the same. :lol: