Wiper blade juddering

Chat about your 2018+ AW/BZ model Polos here!
Harrihealey02
Silver Member
Drives: 2018 SEL

Wiper blade juddering

Post by Harrihealey02 »

My rear window wiper always judders across the screen on the return wipe - and it gets very annoying! I’ve switched blades from Bosch to Valeo and this made a big reduction, however it 70% of the time will judder across the screen on the home wipe. Is there any way I can adjust the retention spring to make it push less harshly on the window? Or are there any brands of blade to use which is silent?
Andy Beats
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: Nissan Leaf 40KW (and Polo United)

Re: Wiper blade juddering

Post by Andy Beats »

AFAIK the only adjustment you can do is to bend the metal arm the wiper mounts onto.
And give the glass a bloody good clean, it may be the glass that's the problem.
SRGTD
Drives: 2020 AW Polo GTI+, Pure White.

Post by SRGTD »

@Harrihealey02; Agree with Andy on cleaning the glass. You may find you have quite a lot of contamination on your rear screen in the form of small tar spots that may have also transferred onto the blade rubber, and a ‘dirty’ screen and blade rubber won’t be good for silent operation.

Claying the rear screen to remove contaminants, and then giving the glass and wiper blade rubber a really good clean with a good glass cleaner would definitely be worth trying before changing the wiper blade.
OomStu_ZA
Gold Member
Drives: 2019 VW Polo GTi

Post by OomStu_ZA »

The front wipers on my vehicle did exactly the same, so annoying. VW also said make sure the windscreen is clean but come on. Anyways, the issue was resolved when I had my vehicle booked in for 45 000KM service and they replaced the "worn" wipers, never had a problem since. Same goes for the mooing of the brakes while reversing, once replaced all was well again.
Steve_2019
Bronze Member
Drives: VW Polo SEL DSG 2019

Post by Steve_2019 »

Sounds a bit daft but try cleaning them with some WD40. It helps clean the grease and muck of the blades.
Andy Beats

Post by Andy Beats »

OomStu_ZA wrote: Thu Oct 07, 2021 12:00 pm The front wipers on my vehicle did exactly the same, so annoying. VW also said make sure the windscreen is clean but come on. Anyways, the issue was resolved when I had my vehicle booked in for 45 000KM service and they replaced the "worn" wipers, never had a problem since. Same goes for the mooing of the brakes while reversing, once replaced all was well again.
Unless I'm reading it wrong, the same wipers for 45000KM....?
No wonder they were juddering, they must have been completely fu.... :D
OomStu_ZA
Gold Member
Drives: 2019 VW Polo GTi

Post by OomStu_ZA »

Andy Beats wrote: Thu Oct 07, 2021 4:15 pm
OomStu_ZA wrote: Thu Oct 07, 2021 12:00 pm The front wipers on my vehicle did exactly the same, so annoying. VW also said make sure the windscreen is clean but come on. Anyways, the issue was resolved when I had my vehicle booked in for 45 000KM service and they replaced the "worn" wipers, never had a problem since. Same goes for the mooing of the brakes while reversing, once replaced all was well again.
Unless I'm reading it wrong, the same wipers for 45000KM....?
No wonder they were juddering, they must have been completely fu.... :D
I guess the weather is less favourable your side of the world compared to sunny South Africa :P
In truth I mentioned it to the dealer within weeks of owning the car and all they would do is apply some cleaning solution to mitigate the judder. I also travel many KM's per day so to get up to 45000KM's didnt take long at all.
Andy Beats

Post by Andy Beats »

OomStu_ZA wrote: Thu Oct 07, 2021 5:14 pm I guess the weather is less favourable your side of the world compared to sunny South Africa :P
In truth I mentioned it to the dealer within weeks of owning the car and all they would do is apply some cleaning solution to mitigate the judder. I also travel many KM's per day so to get up to 45000KM's didnt take long at all.
I'd guess sunshine is as bad for the wipers as excessive use in rain is.
When I watch car restoration programmes, the damage the sun does to cars is incredible.
Cracked and faded dashboards are not something we have to worry about here! :D
Dazeredo
Bronze Member
Drives: Polo aw1 1.0t 95hp

Post by Dazeredo »

I have that problem with brand new bosch blades (changed thinking that the problem came from the factory blades).
I think that the motive in my car is the glass cleaned too much... With all my cars in the past I always cleaned the glass with a glass cleaner for cars and a water repellent treatment. :oops:

The only solution for me is spraying washer fluid to lubrificante the wiper.
Harrihealey02
Silver Member
Drives: 2018 SEL

Post by Harrihealey02 »

I think it must be something to do with the car glass and wiper tension which causes this issue. I had a VW golf 2021 courtesy car which had horrendous judder with factory Bosch blades. I cleaned the wiper and glass and still hasn’t helped. I’m going to have to buy another brand of blade until I find one which doesn’t judder, currently using Valeo Silento which is the best so far.
Andy Beats

Post by Andy Beats »

Harrihealey02 wrote: Mon Oct 25, 2021 2:46 pm I think it must be something to do with the car glass and wiper tension which causes this issue. I had a VW golf 2021 courtesy car which had horrendous judder with factory Bosch blades. I cleaned the wiper and glass and still hasn’t helped. I’m going to have to buy another brand of blade until I find one which doesn’t judder, currently using Valeo Silento which is the best so far.
Bosch as standard?
Pretty sure they're Valeo on the Polos.
Don't suppose it matters, whichever brand it is they will be the cheapest version they can muster up.
TurboTrev
Getting There!
Drives: Golf CS

Post by TurboTrev »

Had the same judder on our Polo and tried everything and nothing worked. Bought some Bosch Aerotwins and the judder went immediately.