Intake valve cleaning

Chat about your 2018+ AW/BZ model Polos here!
Cro_vw
New
Drives: Polo 1.0 2018 115bhp Highline

Intake valve cleaning

Post by Cro_vw »

Hi,
just wondering if any of you guys driving 1.0 tsi with higher milage, did you have any sort of problems with dirty valves? Since it is direct injection I'm wondering now at 30 000 km's how dirty my valves are, and thinking about some cleaner to spray it, since nothing else would work!
I asked in dealership about that, they said we don't do that in warranty unless car starts to have issues, like using more fuel, rough idle etc.
I know the best way is to walnut shell blasting intake valves, but I don't know anyone doing that.
OomStu_ZA
Gold Member
Drives: 2019 VW Polo GTi

Re: Intake valve cleaning

Post by OomStu_ZA »

My vehicle started "fish hooking" at about 50 000 KM's so took it back to the dealership in limp mode. They ran some type of diagnostic then confirmed cylinder 1 injector was the cause. They did further work on it thereafter and all has been reasonably fine since. The whole process cost me about 45min/1hr of my day.

Not sure if it was carbon build up related but it is in the same neck of the woods so asked one of the technicians about carbon build up (on EA888) and he said it shouldn't be an issue until around 100 000KM's. What do I know so had to take his word for it and am not too concerend since I usually trade my vehicle in every 3 - 4 years (60 000KM - 90 000KM).

Although you have the 1.0L engine this video by Humblemechanic will illustrate what it looks like inside the engine, a 2.0L Golf, after 10 000 miles (±16 000 KM's):
https://youtu.be/CB5ThYfX7ag
Cro_vw
New

Post by Cro_vw »

Yeah I've seen that video, I'll definitely put some fuel additive today, datacol or luqi molly to clean tips of injectors. And I think at 100 000 km there would be a lot of carbon build up on injectors and valves.
I'll try to clean it myself, take intake manifold down, and use cleaner. I don't belive any mechanic will do it properly.
Very stupid design, they could have added another port injector, just to clean valves, this will be pain in the ass :x :x
monkeyhanger
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: Audi A4 Avant Quattro 40 TDI, Polo GTI+

Post by monkeyhanger »

Not a bother on the GTI engine as that does have port injectors to wash the backs of the valves with petrol vapour.
OomStu_ZA
Gold Member
Drives: 2019 VW Polo GTi

Post by OomStu_ZA »

monkeyhanger wrote: Wed Oct 20, 2021 1:39 pm Not a bother on the GTI engine as that does have port injectors to wash the backs of the valves with petrol vapour.
Now I'm torn becuase the mechanic said it didn't have port injectors to wash the backs of the valves but there we go I guess... Vehicle still under warranty so if it occurs again still not my problem :) except I'll have to change my name to Carlos while the vehicle is with VW.
monkeyhanger
Drives: Audi A4 Avant Quattro 40 TDI, Polo GTI+

Post by monkeyhanger »

OomStu_ZA wrote: Wed Oct 20, 2021 1:43 pm
monkeyhanger wrote: Wed Oct 20, 2021 1:39 pm Not a bother on the GTI engine as that does have port injectors to wash the backs of the valves with petrol vapour.
Now I'm torn becuase the mechanic said it didn't have port injectors to wash the backs of the valves but there we go I guess... Vehicle still under warranty so if it occurs again still not my problem :) except I'll have to change my name to Carlos while the vehicle is with VW.
Golf GTI EA888 3 engine doesn't, Polo GTI EA888 3b does.

The Polo GTI engine has intake from Audi-valvelift tech with both port and direct injection for Budack cycle lean running under low load.
Cro_vw
New

Post by Cro_vw »

I work at car parts store I'll check tomorrow if GTI has port injection in partslink, I know for sure Polo 3cly doesn't have port injection, and there will be valve cleaning sooner or later
SRGTD
Drives: 2020 AW Polo GTI+, Pure White.

Post by SRGTD »

Cro_vw wrote: Wed Oct 20, 2021 7:37 pm I work at car parts store I'll check tomorrow if GTI has port injection in partslink, I know for sure Polo 3cly doesn't have port injection, and there will be valve cleaning sooner or later
Whether or not the GTI / GTI+ continued to have port injection when it became WLTP compliant was discussed back in early 2019 in the ‘New GTI+ and delivery’ discussion thread.

Check out the pictures that were posted by forum members @monkeyhanger and @peter007 on page 120 of that discussion thread at the link below. The pictures show that both the pre-WLTP and post-WLTP GTI engines have a port injector fuel rail, port injector loom connector and fuel pressure sensor.

https://www.uk-polos.net/viewtopic.php? ... start=1785
Dark_cze
Silver Member
Drives: AW GTI with MT

Post by Dark_cze »

SRGTD wrote: Wed Oct 20, 2021 8:05 pm Whether or not the GTI / GTI+ continued to have port injection when it became WLTP compliant was discussed back in early 2019 in the ‘New GTI+ and delivery’ discussion thread.

Check out the pictures that were posted by forum members @monkeyhanger and @peter007 on page 120 of that discussion thread at the link below. The pictures show that both the pre-WLTP and post-WLTP GTI engines have a port injector fuel rail, port injector loom connector and fuel pressure sensor.

https://www.uk-polos.net/viewtopic.php? ... start=1785
One of the reasons why I choose Polo and not Golf :D I think reason why Polo have it is mostly because of budack cycle. We are running EA888 gen3 B while Golf have (at least mk7/7.5 had) non B version.