Coolant level warning message

Chat about your 2018+ AW/BZ model Polos here!
Harrihealey02
Bronze Member
Drives: 2018 SEL

Coolant level warning message

Post by Harrihealey02 »

Hi there,

I started the car this evening and had a coolant level low message, images included https://ibb.co/C6zjjRc

Is it normal for a car with 44k miles to require a top up? I’ve checked the level and it looks like it’s 2 or 3cm below the low level line on the reservoir.
SRGTD
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: 2020 AW Polo GTI+, Pure White.

Re: Coolant level warning message

Post by SRGTD »

I’d say it’s not normal. It could be a result of air in the cooling system being purged - not uncommon within the first few thousand miles when air might be trapped in the cooling system when it’s filled in the factory when the car’s built. However, at 44k miles I’d say a drop in coolant level is more likely indicative of a coolant leak. With some VAG engines, failure of the thermostat housing or water pump aren’t uncommon causes of coolant loss.

Are there any obvious signs of a leak? - e.g. visible signs of dried on coolant residue around the radiator, coolant hoses, expansion tank, on the engine block, that characteristic coolant smell when the engine’s hot and the cooling system’s up to pressure? If not, then I’d suggest topping up the coolant with the correct coolant mix for your engine when the engine’s cold and then checking / monitoring the level on a regular basis. If the level drops again, then that does suggest you may well have a leak.

IMHO, it’s always worth checking the coolant level on a regular basis when carrying out other (weekly / fortnightly) checks such as tyre pressures / tyre condition, oil level, screen wash etc. rather than relying on the car’s warning systems. That way, any potential issues can be spotted early.
RUM4MO
Drives: B8 S4 & 6R/6C1 1.2TSI 110

Post by RUM4MO »

If you want to use the "same as filled at factory" coolant, then buy a one litre container of G12evo from any VW Group main dealer's parts department, when I bought some last month it cost £7.13 inc VAT, or you can order it in via ebay for roughly £10 a container delivered.

I agree that it is not normal to find this at round about 44K miles - but there again you don't seem to be able to say how long it took to get down there over time.

Edit:- which engine does this car have, hopefully not a DERV one! Sorry, I meant PETROL or smelly/messy stuff.
Johntheo1
Bronze Member
Drives: 2018 MK10 AW1

Post by Johntheo1 »

A reasonable but not foolproof test is to remove the filler cap when cold after a overnight stop, if the system is tight them normally still a slight pressure evident.
monkeyhanger
Drives: Audi A4 Avant Quattro 40 TDI, Polo GTI+

Post by monkeyhanger »

Harrihealey02 wrote: Thu Oct 21, 2021 11:13 pm Hi there,

I started the car this evening and had a coolant level low message, images included https://ibb.co/C6zjjRc

Is it normal for a car with 44k miles to require a top up? I’ve checked the level and it looks like it’s 2 or 3cm below the low level line on the reservoir.
You might've just had a late settle-in. Both our GTI+ required a top up after about 10k miles - presumably an airlock issue in filling at the factory due to no evidence of a leak and lid of expansion tank had a good seal. Keep an eye out for leaks or further level drops once you top up.
Harrihealey02
Bronze Member

Post by Harrihealey02 »

This car has had a new EGR valve and a new DPF on separate occasions where they may have needed to remove coolant when replacing the parts, as I remember seeing coolant dried residue by the reservoir coolant cap. This happened around 10-15k miles ago. I’ve ordered some Febi coolant from Opieoils which has suggested the correct one for my car. Yes it’s a diesel, but I am getting 71MPG on my 12 miles commute to work.
Harrihealey02
Bronze Member

Post by Harrihealey02 »

Sorry meant EGR cooler.
RUM4MO
Drives: B8 S4 & 6R/6C1 1.2TSI 110

Post by RUM4MO »

So probably that workshop did not spend much time making sure that the system was free of trapped air - and now it is.

So you having to spend money on repairs but recover some of it in fuel costs, swings and roundabouts I suppose.
Harrihealey02
Bronze Member

Post by Harrihealey02 »

Luckily all the repairs I’ve had have been covered under the 3 year warranty. And they gave a courtesy car free of charge so hasn’t cost anything apart from the £10 coolant I’ve needed to buy. I’ve found it very reliable other than those two issues which were manufactured faulty from the parts manufacturer.
Harrihealey02
Bronze Member

Post by Harrihealey02 »

Thanks everyone for letting me know what it could be, sounds like it must have been the air lock from when I had work done previously settling down. I’ll check it every month now.
tom.wright
New
Drives: 2023 Polo GTI, Pure White

Post by tom.wright »

I had this too with my 2019 GTI+. Was on the motorway when the Low Coolant warning came up which was a bit unnerving. It wasn't running hot so I carried on carefully and topped the coolant up when I got home. Never got the message again.