Facelift Polo Life is a good value addition to VW range

Chat about your 2018+ AW/BZ model Polos here!
arkay
New
Drives: Polo Life DSG (95 PS) in Stormy Grey

Facelift Polo Life is a good value addition to VW range

Post by arkay »

I have just ordered a Polo Life DSG (95 PS) in Smokey Grey metallic. I was pleasantly surprised by the standard spec of the car - includes folding mirrors, adaptive cruise, virtual cockpit, LED dipped beam, LED rear lights, paddles on steering wheel and travel assist. I just added heated seats, rear view camera and spare wheel. VW are giving £750 contribution and dealer chipped in £500 so good value on PCP.

I would have preferred the 110 PS engine but this is only available on the R-line which is a pity. The R-line with its fake exhausts and significantly higher price did not appeal. (I was able to take a test drive with the 95 PS engine and was relieved that it had enough power for me).

For once in my view VW UK have pitched their offering well. I have been waiting for the new Fabia but this has proved very disappointing, more expensive and with fewer factory-fit options available.
Teachertim
New
Drives: R-Line

Re: Facelift Polo Life is a good value addition to VW range

Post by Teachertim »

Did you test drive one? I’m wondering how the travel assist works or how the adaptive cruise alters the speed when it reads speed signs.
arkay
New

Post by arkay »

Yes I got a test drive - car was a 5 speed manual - I was keen to see if the 95 PS was powerful enough and it was. Test drive was along rural roads so could not test ACC properly. Sorry I cannot answer your question fully. The car is smooth and refined. Pity they did not have a DSG demonstrator which I think combines better with assistance systems.

The dealership also had an R-line Polo in the showroom and I was allowed to switch on the ignition and play around with the screen/air con. I liked the system on the Life model better as it was more user friendly and neater somehow. Also the R-line has those twin fake exhausts which, to me, are a bit off-putting! Unless you really need the 110 PS DSG I would go for the Life model with a few options added if necessary.

The one negative is the lead time for delivery - 7 months minimum.
Teachertim
New

Post by Teachertim »

Thanks. A dealer near me has a style coming in a couple of weeks that is in my chosen colour so might consider it.

Thanks
arkay
New

Post by arkay »

Teachertim wrote: Sat Nov 06, 2021 9:34 pm Thanks. A dealer near me has a style coming in a couple of weeks that is in my chosen colour so might consider it.

Thanks
I was round at the dealer yesterday to sign some paperwork and asked him about the travel assist. He confirmed that to take full advantage of its features it is best to have the DSG box. With the DSG box, ACC and travel assist the car becomes ‘semi-autonomous’ - it will bring the car to a halt at traffic lights for example and then follow the car in front up to the speed set in the ACC. I have not seen this working and only hope the salesman has got this right! If so it seems an amazing feature for a ‘base’ model Polo.

Let us know how your look at the Style goes.
arkay
New

Post by arkay »

I noticed that the Style model cannot be specified with an auto gearbox for some reason which is strange. So in its standard equipment it says:

“Adaptive cruise control (without `follow-to-stop manual transmission`) and speed limiter”.

This means you do need the DSG to have the ‘follow-to-stop’ functionality you asked about.
PO10ASH
Getting There!
Drives: POLO GTI+

Post by PO10ASH »

Would fully agree with you, having gone for the GTI+ option previously because of the additional LED lights etc, the new facelift has good options for the standard models. Let's see some photos when your Polo arrives! : -)
Harrihealey02
Bronze Member
Drives: 2018 SEL

Post by Harrihealey02 »

How long is the lead time for a factory order? I’m considering getting the Style with extra options added, larger infotainment screen + the DSG and reversing camera.
SRGTD
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: 2020 AW Polo GTI+, Pure White.

Post by SRGTD »

Harrihealey02 wrote: Tue Nov 09, 2021 8:33 pm How long is the lead time for a factory order? I’m considering getting the Style with extra options added, larger infotainment screen + the DSG and reversing camera.
Some forum members over on golfgtiforum.co.uk who ordered a performance Golf early this year are still waiting for their cars to be built (😮), and few weeks ago, lead times in excess of a year were being quoted for new factory orders for some models. Whether those lead times would be indicative of a new Polo factory order is anyone’s guess. Currently, options that are dependent on semiconductors as part of their manufacture may increase ‘normal’ lead times.

The worldwide semiconductor shortage is still having a significant impact on car production and has meant that many car manufacturers (including VAG) have been building incomplete cars, and then storing those vehicles until semiconductors are received and the builds can be completed. Completion of those unfinished vehicles (are there are likely to be many) when new semiconductor supplies are received may cause disruption to normal production line activity, as those unfinished cars would presumably need to be moved back into the factory to be finished and then quality checked before they’re ready to be shipped to their destinations.

I’d suggest you check with your local dealer, or even more than one dealer to see what range of lead times they quote. However, bear in mind a dealer may give an optimistic view of lead times if they’re hungry to clinch a sale!
Andy Beats
Drives: Nissan Leaf 40KW (and Polo United)

Post by Andy Beats »

it's not just semiconductors now, it's magnesium as well.
It's used in the production of aluminium parts and cannot be stored for any length of time as it oxidises.
One city in China is basically responsible for the bulk of the world's production, but over half of the factories have been told to shut down due to the power crisis in China.
A couple of weeks ago VW said they only had enough to do them until end Nov.
arkay
New

Post by arkay »

Harrihealey02 wrote: Tue Nov 09, 2021 8:33 pm How long is the lead time for a factory order? I’m considering getting the Style with extra options added, larger infotainment screen + the DSG and reversing camera.
I was quoted 7 months minimum for my order. Not too worried as my current car is not 3 yrs old yet. I was reassured that if there is an improvement in PCP deposit contribution that I would get that. Equally if it decreases I would not lose out as my deal is ‘locked in’
Can I point out that the Style trim, at present, does not have the DSG option? Seems strange really. I found that the Life trim seemed to have more options available for some reason.
SRGTD
Drives: 2020 AW Polo GTI+, Pure White.

Post by SRGTD »

arkay wrote: Wed Nov 10, 2021 12:32 pm
I was quoted 7 months minimum for my order. Not too worried as my current car is not 3 yrs old yet. I was reassured that if there is an improvement in PCP deposit contribution that I would get that. Equally if it decreases I would not lose out as my deal is ‘locked in’
Can I point out that the Style trim, at present, does not have the DSG option? Seems strange really. I found that the Life trim seemed to have more options available for some reason.
I dare say the 110ps engine with DSG transmission will be available with the Style trim in the UK at some point - it’s not unusual for VW to enhance a model range after it’s launched by making changes to equipment levels, engine / transmission availability and replace or upgrade trim levels.

There a quite a few videos on YouTube of non-UK LHD Polos in Style trim with the 1.0 litre 110ps engine coupled with DSG transmission, so cars with that engine/transmission in Style trim are currently being built for overseas markets.
Teachertim
New

Post by Teachertim »

I got really lucky! My local dealer got an R-Line in black which is what I really wanted. Test drove it today. Made the order and picking it up next week. Speed limiter works as standard, you can’t sync it to the traffic sign recognition but it seems easy to use and the ACC looks good too, but will take practise to get used to.
arkay
New

Post by arkay »

Well done Teachertim! Which engine/gearbox does the car have? I am keen to know how the car drives with the DSG.
Let us know how it goes when you pick up the car and a few pics would not go amiss!
monkeyhanger
Drives: Audi A4 Avant Quattro 40 TDI, Polo GTI+

Post by monkeyhanger »

Andy Beats wrote: Wed Nov 10, 2021 11:29 am it's not just semiconductors now, it's magnesium as well.
It's used in the production of aluminium parts and cannot be stored for any length of time as it oxidises.
One city in China is basically responsible for the bulk of the world's production, but over half of the factories have been told to shut down due to the power crisis in China.
A couple of weeks ago VW said they only had enough to do them until end Nov.
It's easy to store magnesium - it's stored under oil to prevent oxidation until its needed. Peolle have tended not to stockpile it so when production stops, it runs out because supply is so hand to mouth. It helps lighten (weight) and stiffen aluminum parts - it's mainly used in alloy wheels. The use of magnesium in alloy wheels is the reason you get that bird crap looking "white worm" corrosion - it's magnesium oxide (aluminium oxide is colourless).