Polo VI AW Top Grill REMOVE

Chat about your 2018+ AW/BZ model Polos here!
magikzzta
New
Drives: Polo VI AW 2018

Polo VI AW Top Grill REMOVE

Post by magikzzta »

Good morning everyone, introduce myself because I am new to the world of cars and I have started with a volkswagen polo 7. I have been doing some minor modifications, but now I have decided to start changing parts. Currently, my polo is an Polo Advance, as shown in this image:
A few days ago I found some parts of an old Polo VI GTI on a second-hand page and decided to buy them, so in the future I would like my car to look like this:
The first thing I would like to do is remove my old top grill and replace it with this new one that has the GTI lettering on it. The problem is that I don't know how to do it without breaking anything. My understanding is that there are two tor screws in sight when the hood is opened, but I don't see anything else. I also think the radar sensor is right behind the VW logo, so I don't know if I have to be careful with the cables, or some specific measure ... It would be great not to have to remove the whole bumper, because not yet I see myself capable. Any help is appreciated!
PS: I am not native English so I am using a translator, sorry if my English is not perfect xd
Dark_cze
Silver Member
Drives: AW GTI with MT

Re: Polo VI AW Top Grill REMOVE

Post by Dark_cze »

I might be wrong but it looks like it have to be taken out with whole front bumper then it can be changed

//here is link for other VW manuals viewtopic.php?p=574763#p574763 :)
front.png
front.png (235.15 KiB) Viewed 2151 times
front2.png
front2.png (172.5 KiB) Viewed 2151 times
POLO Clive
Silver Member
Drives: Polo SEL 1.0 TSI 115PS

Post by POLO Clive »

Hello magikzzta, the screws you see are to hold the top part of the front bumper on (the coloured strip is part of the front bumper), but the grille you want to change is just clipped in at the top and bottom, they're quite tricky to remove, but you can get to the back of most of them to release them, the others will release with a slight pull.

Here is a picture of the back of a grill to show the location of the clips, the ones in the middle are to hold the red strip in place, you only need to release the top and bottom ones.
POLO grille 3.JPG
POLO grille 3.JPG (2.06 MiB) Viewed 2130 times
POLO grille 4.JPG
POLO grille 4.JPG (2.07 MiB) Viewed 2130 times
magikzzta
New

Post by magikzzta »

Great, thank you both!
From what I see, then it will be enough to pull all the staples to remove the old grill (without removing the bumper) and do the same with the new grill, without removing any screws. But then, is there anything I need to do with the sensor radar first?

In case there are chances of it breaking this way, maybe it is more convenient to follow the advice to remove the entire bumper ... I don't want to have to pay for that sensor :oops:
POLO Clive
Silver Member

Post by POLO Clive »

magikzzta wrote: Sun Nov 28, 2021 3:27 pm Great, thank you both!
From what I see, then it will be enough to pull all the staples to remove the old grill (without removing the bumper) and do the same with the new grill, without removing any screws. But then, is there anything I need to do with the sensor radar first?

In case there are chances of it breaking this way, maybe it is more convenient to follow the advice to remove the entire bumper ... I don't want to have to pay for that sensor :oops:
Just unplug the sensor, then plug it back in when you swap it to the new grille, and there's no need to remove the bumper, the grille can be removed without taking the bumper off, also removing the headlights makes it quite a bit easier.

Good luck :wink:
magikzzta
New

Post by magikzzta »

Okay, well here is the final result. Don't judge me, it's only the beginning haha!
POLO Clive
Silver Member

Post by POLO Clive »

I'm not keen on the idea of the red stripe round the headlights if I'm honest. :|