Is it possible to install the new VW emblem badge?

Chat about your 2018+ AW/BZ model Polos here!
Harrihealey02
Silver Member
Drives: 2018 SEL

Is it possible to install the new VW emblem badge?

Post by Harrihealey02 »

I would like to freshen up the look of my car a bit by adding the plastic VW logo badge. I’ve seen a few on eBay and mainly they seem to be for every VW except the Polo. Has anyone done this before, is it worth it?
SRGTD
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: 2020 AW Polo GTI+, Pure White.

Re: Is it possible to install the new VW emblem badge?

Post by SRGTD »

I personally don’t think it’s worth it - car manufacturers are always making small changes and updates to their cars throughout a model’s life cycle, so there’ll always be little changes to later models that could mean yours doesn’t look quite as ‘modern’ as later model year vehicles.

Not sure what you mean by ‘plastic VW logo badge’ - I’m assuming you mean the VW emblem on the front grille? (Apologies if I’ve assumed incorrectly). If you change the front grille badge, won’t you also need to change all the other badging too, otherwise it might look a bit odd with mismatched badges? Therefore, IMHO you’d really need to change the tailgate hatch release handle, the wheel centre caps, the steering wheel centre boss (air bag implications of changing that one?) and the small badge on the ignition key fob as well. And if you were planning on making it look like the last of the pre-facelift models you’d also need to change the ‘Polo’ badge for the latest font style and reposition it below the hatch release handle.

If it was my car, I’d rather spend the money on petrol to enjoy driving the car rather than make all the above subtle changes that no one other than you will really notice. That’s just my opinion though.
lancslad1985
Gold Member
Drives: 2020 polo gti plus

Post by lancslad1985 »

Personally I think the old VW shaped badge was nicer than the newer disc one with the black background.
Harrihealey02
Silver Member
Drives: 2018 SEL

Post by Harrihealey02 »

Thanks for the insights. If I was going to do it I would only change the front grille badge and the rear badge, however mine has the reversing cam and I don’t know if the rear badge can simply pop off or if it’s integral to the assembly. Does anyone know how easy it is to remove the front and rear badge? I’m planning on ordering the new Polo R line next year but it’s likely a mid year delivery.
SRGTD
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: 2020 AW Polo GTI+, Pure White.

Post by SRGTD »

lancslad1985 wrote: Tue Nov 30, 2021 10:05 am Personally I think the old VW shaped badge was nicer than the newer disc one with the black background.
Me too. And that’s not because my car has the old style badges 🙂.
OomStu_ZA
Gold Member
Drives: 2019 VW Polo GTi

Post by OomStu_ZA »

lancslad1985 wrote: Tue Nov 30, 2021 10:05 am Personally I think the old VW shaped badge was nicer than the newer disc one with the black background.
+1
johnparker
Getting There!

Post by johnparker »

Me too