no more suspension symphony!

Chat about your 9n Polo (inc GT and Fun)
logistix
Silver Member

no more suspension symphony!

Post by logistix »

finally, a peaceful drive regarding suspension noise...
recently i had to have my car in for service for several items including the battery and the alternator, during which i had them look at the car's suspension components for the typical noises.
I used to have the typical knocking, grinding and creaking noises coming from the front, and a nerve-tickling metallic tapping noise coming from the rear suspension. Although I had gotten used to them somehow, I did not realize how they actually deteriorated the joy and the comfort of the ride.
The faulty parts in the front were the rear wishbone bushes, which got replaced with Golf V equivalents, and also the passenger side drop link (the bar that connects the damper to the anti-roll bar). In the rear, the top mounts of the dampers got replaced with new ones.
I cannot say at this point that the interior of the car is much quieter, because now the dash rattles attract even more attention. But I will eventually approach them some time and achieve that peaceful ride I have been longing for :D
So all in all if you have any of the above mentioned suspension noises it might be caused by these parts. Wanted to share my recent experience.

Take care
jokjok11
New

Post by jokjok11 »

I'm sure i have them problems too, did you get these fixed at a VW dealer, and how much approx did it get to fix? thanks Dan
M7
Gold Member

Post by M7 »

prices in Turkey are going to be totally different to the uk, so i'd take a wild guess that price would be irrelavent
logistix
Silver Member

Post by logistix »

M7 wrote:prices in Turkey are going to be totally different to the uk, so i'd take a wild guess that price would be irrelavent
true, but i have the parts prices which should be similar to what you will pay over there. top mounts for the rear shocks are 20 pounds plus VAT each, the drop link is 15 pounds plus VAT, and the wishbone bushes are 28 pounds plus VAT each. I would guess they will charge 2-3 hours of labor to fit these items.

hope this helps
AKs_SlickPolo
Gold Member

Post by AKs_SlickPolo »

Was the rear noise sort of tapping /popping / knocking. I have this when reversing out of my drive occasionally, but didn't really think it could be the rear mounts as theres not much to them.
logistix
Silver Member

Post by logistix »

AKs_SlickPolo wrote:Was the rear noise sort of tapping /popping / knocking. I have this when reversing out of my drive occasionally, but didn't really think it could be the rear mounts as theres not much to them.
the rear noise was coming from near the seatbelt tensioner area, that is where the shocks are mounted to the chassis. it was a metallic tapping sound. like a metal screw tapping on the chassis.