What mpg? (1.4 16V Auto)

Chat about your 9n Polo (inc GT and Fun)
littlepolo
Gold Member

What mpg? (1.4 16V Auto)

Post by littlepolo »

What real world mpg should I be getting around town and on a highway?

Currently showing 28mpg around town (20 miles daily) which sounds a bit low.
bvs
Silver Member
Drives: 02 1.4s 16v

Re: What mpg? (1.4 16V Auto)

Post by bvs »

Given it is mid winter and doing shortish trips it might be difficult to tell LP.
On our 1.4 16v manual we prob get approx 40mpg in cold weather,but that is on reasonable length drives - it would be lower than that on shorter trips and it would certainly be even lower than that on an Auto box car.
If the engine is running ok and sounding ok,tyre pressures ok and brakes not binding then it might be better to reserve judgement until you do a longer run in higher ambient temps .

rgds baz
littlepolo
Gold Member

Post by littlepolo »

Now on the second tankful since the engine rebuild and using BP regular. After filling the tank I calculated 30.27mpg from mainly urban driving with a couple of slightly longer runs.
bvs
Silver Member

Post by bvs »

We have just returned from a wee trip in our Polo - down to Yorks.
Our mpg on the way south was probably around 35mpg - due to a combination of the recent cold weather involving cold starts/warm up/lights/heater fan/oil viscosity etc and then on the way south we were driving into a strong quartering headwind most of the way.
Our return trip on saturday was in warm ambient temps although we had a blustery half gale all the way - it was a half n half route of hilly back roads and then a blast up the M6/M74/A9 - our return journey gave us approx 40.9mpg.
My point is that weather can have quite a dramatic effect on mpg - which is why I posted previously that it might be worth waiting for warmer weather to get an accurate mpg figure,I would have thought with an auto box in the summer you might get 34/35mpg on reasonable length trips.
We normally use Tesco 99 in our 16v,it runs ok-ish on 95 but does tend to 'pink' in warmer weather using 95!
littlepolo
Gold Member

Post by littlepolo »

Fuel consumption now seems to be back in the right ballpark. Heavy start stop will drop below 30mpg but I just got 31.75 over 200 miles around town. Last week I got 42 on a 100 mile run down the M40 and 38 on a 140 mile run around the M3/M25 area. It dipped to 36 on a high speed run up the M40.
bvs
Silver Member

Post by bvs »

Sounds ok LP :D
littlepolo
Gold Member

Post by littlepolo »

Not too bad I guess. It's all over the place really due to vehicle weight and prevailing conditions. It will be interesting to see how it performs in warmer weather.

As for fuel, I'm using Momentum every other tank. Slight pinking soon returns on supermarket fuel (albeit briefly after slowing down following a fast run).
bvs
Silver Member

Post by bvs »

We shove some Tesco 99 (sounds like an ice cream 8) ) in the tank every time we are near a tesco ! - it is not too bad a price compared to branded 97/98.
I really do not like the pinking sound and would hate to damage the engine for the sake of a few pennies LOL.
I replaced the Oil separator a few weeks ago and that may have reduced the pinking risk,but our filler flap says 98/95 which I have always read as 98 being the required fuel - with 95 being okish if 98 not available.