Vents only blowing hot air on Polo 2003?

Chat about your 9n Polo (inc GT and Fun)
kiszcat
New
Drives: 2003

Vents only blowing hot air on Polo 2003?

Post by kiszcat »

Hi there guys, I'm really sorry if this has already been asked about but I am a new driver and have a wee 2003 Polo. She is absolutely fab but she only blows hot air even when she is set to cold. I've googled a bit but not gotten very far other than it may be a common problem and difficult to fix? Does anyone have any ideas?

Thank you.

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

littlepolo
Gold Member

Re: Vents only blowing hot air on Polo 2003?

Post by littlepolo »

This is likely the heater flap control motor (V68) which is a pain to swap out.

If you do a search on flap motor V68 you should find some previous threads.
kiszcat
New

Post by kiszcat »

Will do! Thank you for replying!
bvs
Silver Member
Drives: 02 1.4s 16v

Post by bvs »

As LP posted - could well be the V68 motor which is a PITA to change.
I changed ours a couple of years ago using this thread as a very useful guide....

viewtopic.php?f=8&t=52145#p403502
kiszcat
New

Post by kiszcat »

I'm going to pass this info over to my mechanic and see if they are able to do something as it can be quite uncomfortable to drive with as I'm sure you know! [emoji23]
The info is much appreciated. Thank you.
bvs
Silver Member

Post by bvs »

Does your Polo have A/C ?
There is also a wee temperature sensor mounted just above the clutch/brake pedal area on A/C equipped Polo's which sometimes either gets covered in dust/fluff and needs cleaning or perhaps replacing if it fails.
kiszcat
New

Post by kiszcat »

It has an AC button next to recycle air button under the dials so I assume so? Sorry, I'm only learning all this car maintenance stuff! I'm actually quite technical! Just new to the car game! [emoji23]
bvs
Silver Member

Post by bvs »

The Polo is a great little car to start out on - we really love our little polo,we live near Perth and regularly travel all over scotland in it - we have been as far as Gatwick in the south and Harris/Lewis in the west (Hebrides) .
We prefer driving it to our newer and more powerful Fabia (which we have just sold anyway).
kiszcat
New

Post by kiszcat »

My wee Polo is fantastic. She's has a few wee bits and pieces that need seen to but I love driving her. She'll do for a wee bit yet. Is the sensor easy to reach for me or better a mechanic. I'm down near Glasgow. [emoji4]
RUM4MO
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: B8 S4 & 6R/6C1 1.2TSI 110

Post by RUM4MO »

Have you tried this:- demand Hi temperature, wait 30 seconds, demand Lo temperature - repeat maybe 10 times, this might be enough to temporarily clean up the positional feedback track on the flapmotor control and allow you to control the temperature for a short time, and so give you a good feeling as to if that flapmotor assembly is faulty.

It will soon not be a problem?

I had that issue with a Passat and had to stop off on the M74 at the border just to let us cool off - I did eventually change the flapmotor on that car, you just need to be willing to work at horrible angles in/under the dashboard area, very nasty job to do, but well worth it.

If you knew someone local to you who had VCDS they could scan your car and see what faults were being reported, that would confirm if it was a flapmotor.
kiszcat
New

Post by kiszcat »

I'll try that later on today and see what happens. Thank you. I'm sure the mechanics will be able to scan it.
bvs
Silver Member

Post by bvs »

kiszcat wrote: Sun Oct 14, 2018 8:29 am My wee Polo is fantastic. She's has a few wee bits and pieces that need seen to but I love driving her. She'll do for a wee bit yet. Is the sensor easy to reach for me or better a mechanic. I'm down near Glasgow. [emoji4]
As Rum suggested - a code scan might give a clue as to the cause of the problem,neither job is easy if you have not done any car work before (esp the V68).
On our Polo - the temp control has been generally ok since I changed the V68 but it does still very occasionally throw a wobbly LOL
I usually select the required temp setting before putting the ign key in,that seems to work ok,but 99% of the time it has worked normally since V68 motor change.