Main beam headlight issue

Chat about your 9n Polo (inc GT and Fun)
Jonbygrave
New
Drives: 2005 twist sdi

Main beam headlight issue

Post by Jonbygrave »

Just looking for some help. Recently bought a 2005 vow polo twist Sdi to get me to and from work. It seems to be in pretty good nick but I’ve got a problem. The main beam headlights work when I pull the indicator stalk towards myself but when I push it away to turn them on permanently nothing happens! I’ve checked fuses and they seem fine. I am thinking it must be something to do with the indicator stalk?? Any help would be much appreciated!
alexperkins
Site Admin
Drives: 91 Golf GTI, 01 TT 225, 54 T5 174

Re: Main beam headlight issue

Post by alexperkins »

If when the headlights are on, and pushing it away does nothing, it could well be a problem with the stalk itself
RUM4MO
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: B8 S4 & 6R/6C1 1.2TSI 110

Re: Main beam headlight issue

Post by RUM4MO »

If it counts, I completely agree with Alex here, with my wife's old 2002 9N Polo typically when driving locally in the dark and on still driving slowly enough to be using dipped beam, when approaching a bend, I used to pull up that stalk to bring on the main beam using the flasher function instead of switch between dip and main beam when all I was doing was getting a better view of the road as I approached the bend and warning any "invisible" approaching traffic that I was approaching them at that bend - that car had separate dip and main bulbs - that is a habit I still use with my wife's current Polo which has LED front lights.

So, that boring long story was just me explaining that "flash" and changing from dip to main is the same task or same function, and what you have experienced has proved that the main beam switching does work, so it points to stalk failure.