Serious question - would you sell your New Polo today?

Chat about your 9n Polo (inc GT and Fun)
dxg

Serious question - would you sell your New Polo today?

Post by dxg »

OK, so I'm guessing that most people's new polos can't be much more than 6 months old.

Basically, as most people this board will know, I've had lots of problems with my four month old car. To the point that it's only covered 2200 miles so far, mainly because it's been back at the dealers so often and partly because I don't enjoy driving it any more (painfull memories, and all that).

However, the following situation has arisen:

Over the course of the many, many visits to the the dealer I've noticed new this Lupo GTI which _isn't_ shifting - it's been there for about 2.5 months now.

So today I thought I'd explore the financial doability of some sort of trade-in arrangement and had the worst possible outcome - I can (just!) afford it!! I've been offered a really good price for the polo - 10k (was 12k new - I was expecting 8 or 9k, given that it's now second hand - shows you how well the new polos are selling).

So, I'm asking you guys for advice - if you were in my position where you've had lots of hassle with your car, have spent the past four months trying to get it sorted and have (just about) got everything resolved, would you then risk all that happening all again with any new car so soon?

It doesn't make sense from a financial point of view - it can never be a "good" idea to sell a brand new car after only four months (c. £2 per mile for me so far!), but - I guess - I'm trying to find out if I should follow my heart on this one. (Should point out that I haven't even test driven the Lupo yet, because I suspect that would make the decision for me, and I'm trying to stay rational, here!)

I guess what I'm asking is when you all made the decision to buy, were you thinking with your head or with your heart? Would you ever buy a car on a whim - on the off-chance that it might be "better" somehow?

An important part of the equation, for me, is the relationship that I form with my car. I'm not talking fetish here(!!), but I do want to care for this object that surrounds me as I do most of my travelling through the world - with all the hastle that my "new polo" has brought me, that feeling's long gone - I care more about the soft toy that sits on the dashboard, than the car it sits in - not a good position to be in for touchy-feely people like me!

(Sorry for the long post - it's complicated situation that takes some explaining! - I hope you read this far and can offer an opinion...)

Thanks,

Deek.
Josh_PoloGTi
Site Admin
Drives: BMW E85 Z4 3.0i

Post by Josh_PoloGTi »

Hi Deek

I know what I'd do... Get the Lupo! (or a Polo GTi if you could find one)...

I bought my GTi on a whim, and I've never looked back!

If you know you can afford it, and the insurance isn't going to cripple you, I'd go for it.

Is it new or used, how many miles, what colour, man or woman owner, what year???

Also, how much (if you don't mind me asking)

If you've had that many problems with yours and they are offering 10k for it, I'd get rid of it now. You said yourself that you're not enjoying driving it, so get into something else!

If you get the Lupo, you're still very welcome to come here, I'll even set up a part of the forum for you!

Just think about practicality... Do you go shopping for food? Do you carry passengers? Etc etc, cos the Lupo is a small car. If you do any of the above, think about getting a Polo GTi!!!

I'm not biased or anything!!

Good Luck, and remember to factor in insurance when doing your maths!
dxg

Post by dxg »

I bought my GTi on a whim, and I've never looked back!
Excellent - the kind of answer I was hoping for!
If you know you can afford it, and the insurance isn't going to cripple you, I'd go for it.
The insurance isn't that bad, actually - the Polo should have been 280, but the _factory fitted_ alloys etc (i was sure I'd get away with that) pushed it up to 380 - the lupo would be 450.
Is it new or used, how many miles, what colour, man or woman owner, what year???

Also, how much (if you don't mind me asking)
It's actually a new car - not yet registered. Trouble is, they've order it with a/c and "special" (metalic blue) paint - so they want £14k for it. I'm going to counter with the ability to make the deal before the year end (if I decide to go back tomorrow) to try to push it down to £13k(ish). Would have preferred it not to have the a/c and save a grand, oh well.
If you get the Lupo, you're still very welcome to come here, I'll even set up a part of the forum for you!
But I'd feel so lonely, speaking to myself!
Just think about practicality... Do you go shopping for food? Do you carry passengers? Etc etc, cos the Lupo is a small car. If you do any of the above, think about getting a Polo GTi!!!
I've seen one Polo GTI on the roads round here - never seen anything at a dealers. It's rare for me to have more than two people in my car, so I guess size shouldn't be an issue... It's just the amount of bare metal that would take some getting used to.
Good Luck, and remember to factor in insurance when doing your maths!
Thanks - I'll have to think it through carefully...
dxg

Post by dxg »

Just can't silence these thoughts in my head along the lines of "throwing good money after bad", "more money than sense" (if only!!), "knows the price of everything, but the value of nothing", and so on.

I'll see how I feel about it tomorrow morning, and talk it over with a couple of friends before going back (if I do, that is!).

Deek.
tdisport
Getting There!

New polo probs.

Post by tdisport »

I know all about problems with new polos.

Just b4 you spend another £????,??? on another new VW you should weigh up probs... whats main things you like/dislike about new one.

i was ready to chuck it all in as well and get 328i steptronic.

Decided to stick with polo until i go round the world and then dump it in storage for few months.

Draw up list.

dont do anything 2 rash. u might grow to like it. I have!!
dxg

Post by dxg »

Thanks for your thoughts.

Having spent this morning pootling around in the Polo and getting v. p*ssed off with the muppets in Tesco's car park and the rattles that are definately getting worse (rather than going away as promised).... I've only gone and booked a test drive in the Lupo.

I'll let you know my opinions in due course...

(If I can omly get them to loose a grand out of the deal for an order today or tomorrow...)
dxg

Post by dxg »

Well, I've been for a test of the Lupo - thought you lot might be interested in what I thought of it...

Well - oddly - I wasn't that impressed. Not so unimpressed that I can rule it out of the equation, though.

Pros:
It is a very, very fast car - you can not deny that. Had lot's of fun overtaking conveys of cars that I would even contemplate in the polo. Can't get over the fact that I never broke 4k rpm throughout the test, yet hit 85+ a couple of times - the gearbox ratios are perfect. Sit in sixth at speed, drop down to 5th for overtaking - wonderful. Through town you just build speed without realising - the engine is completely at ease - could easily get a few points in 30 zones with this thing.

I could live with the boot. And the rear seats. Small size is not a problem for me. The highlights would have to be:
- the external appearance,
- the most wonderful, deep throated growl that seems to come from somewhere deep down inside the car, rather than the exhaust itself
- the sheer volume of information communicated through the seat of your pants (because nothing much comes through the steering)
- it's complete composure at all times - perfect in town (although clutch a little "snatchy", as were the low gears.

Bad things:
- brakes need a lot of effort - but then anything would comparied to the polos
- interior is definately from a previous generation of vw - all interior pastics hard and solid, not soft like the polos - no switchblade key, no interior vanity mirror lights, fixed (i.e. not damped) grab handles (in fact, no damping anywhere - didn't think i'd miss it on things like the ciggie tray lid, but you do)
- sports seats didn't provide much lumbar support
- steering wheel adjusts for height, but not reach.
- heating controls are way down at the bottom of the central console
- the steering is _increadibly_ heavy at low speeds (probably not really that heavy, just in comparison with the polos it seems so)

Things I didn't expect:
- in the polo the ultrasound sensors for the alarm are integrated into the interior light - in the lupo they're in a separate unit above the b pillar - looks very aftermarket (but not as much as those in the mk3 golf!!)
- the interior of the doors behind the wing mirrors (i.e. bottom of windscreen pillars - the bit that abuts the dash when closed) - are finished in this very amatuerish lump of painted plastic - looked to me like an after thought - didn't link with the rest of the interior - the designer should have been "honest" and just left a gap btwn the dash board edge and the exposed paint along the top of the door.
- had a look under the bonnet - the gearbox is _huge_ - it's got to be about 15 inches from front to rear - huge!!
- the battery's also huge (now i know why it's in the spare wheel tray).
- up close the car's so much better looking on the outside - god knows how I'd clean the much out the "chicken wire" grills - they were fairly clogged up just after this test drive.
- although the blue and red interior lighting it there - there's a general lack of the "things that light up" - might seem odd to you, but I've grown used to my polo's mobile disco.

overall:

The car is very composed dynamically. I expected to feel that it had a cast iron lump in the front and nothing behind the driver, but could find no evidence of this. the ride was hard, but - suprisingly - was much more planted than the polo (recall i have the sports suspension) at speed, but seemed much _more!!_ refined over potholes, etc. at low speeds - i couldn't beleive this and drove the test route in the polo straight after to compare - the lupo's dynamics are way, way better.

Just can't get past the lack of those little touches in the interior - no chrome anywhere (apart from the very tacky surrounds on the dials) - dark roof lining - felt very somber and reminded me of a mk4 golf colour wise, a mk5 polo interior design and material wise and a mk3 golf in the way in which - apart from the dash mouldings themselves - the various parts didn't quite "come together" (but still miles ahead of a mini or a corsa, say).

And the fact that it didn't immediately "grab" me. Externally - it did it for me, internally - it didn't.

conclusion:

I thought the the test drive would make the decision for me. I expected to walk away grinning from ear to ear, but I didn't. That fact that I would be steping a "generation back" in vw's history is very evident. I didn't really push the car on the twisty country stuff because the roads were wet with running water, so I never got to find the limit of the car - it's certainly a long way past the end of my driving skills - so that makes me wonder if I would ever have true fun in the car if I bought it.

Still can't decide, but probably stick with the polo. I did a chart as you suggested and "keep the polo" came out top, "keep the polo and buy it the "barcellona" alloys to regain some individuality" came second, and the lupo came last - the financal pain can't be tallied with desire to drive something individual (it certainly would be - the dealer said they'd only sold one other gti in the product's history!)

But this was suposed to be a decision of the heart, not of the head, so some thinking to do over the next few days...

Not one rattle anywhere, btw. Felt rock solid, unlike the polo.
Nelson_Wilbury

Post by Nelson_Wilbury »

Well, I've been driving the car for four months and owned the car for six. The only reason I'm considering selling the car at the moment is the lack of power, if I can get 5-10bhp more out of a ECU mod i'll be laughing :lol:

So no, I wouldn't sell it :wink:
tdisport
Getting There!

5bhp

Post by tdisport »

if you ditch the cat. you get an extra 5bhp and if you fit an induction kit you get extra 5bhp.

theres 10 bhp without even trying!!