FAO Sparkstack

Chat about your 9n Polo (inc GT and Fun)
des_pd_ tdi
Gold Member

FAO Sparkstack

Post by des_pd_ tdi »

Noticed you have a 1.9 tdi on order and no options.

Can I recommend that you spec it up with ESP, this includes traction control, and you do need it.

In the dry - Anything other than a gentle wheel pull away from the lights will result in the wheels spinning, you need to get the right balance and this took me a while.

Pulling out of roundabouts and corners can result in wheelspin, and changing up to second gear more wheelspin.

In the wet - All of the above but much worse, in can get a little frustrating having to correct yourself all the time.

VW should have put ESP on as standard, I'd definately add it next time.

TDisport - do you get this problem with your car?, you've got a fair amount of torque low down in the rev range too.

Des

Post by Guest »

Couldn't get a car that was available in the uk with ESP fitted when i bought it. And i didn't want to wait 3 months.

Can it be retro-fitted (doubt it)

The test car we drove (1.9tdi sport) was very docile, almost a bit of a letdown really. I tried hard to get it to turn into an animal, but it wouldn't play. Are you telling me that they arn't like that?

Anyways, the Beetle (1.8T) has ESP, most of the time i switch it off because it gets in the way!

And there's nowt wrong with a bit of wheelspin :wink:
tdisport
Getting There!

yes and no

Post by tdisport »

Sd thing is i walk to work so hardly use car.

I i use it at all it does less than a mile per day so its always cold.

When i pull out when its cold i have to give lots of throttle for it 2 pull away so defintely no whell spin.

If its warm and i give it too much peddle, its shoots away and can give wheel spin. i think i have adapted now after driving 1.4 petrol car previously as i was afraid i would burn clutch out revving up, then letting clutch out (e.g. on roundabouts).

Still think engine hasn't run in properly as am waiting to see what happens in months to come.

one thing i remember is 1.4 tdi (old shape) was an animal!! Had one for few months as hire car and it went like stink and had to fight with wheel to keep control (didn't help had crappy thin wheel and smallish tyres).
des_pd_ tdi
Gold Member

Post by des_pd_ tdi »

Once you start to drive the car and see what you can get out of it you'll know what I mean.

My car took a while to bed in and the engine is starting to loosen up so it revs more freely. As for aftermarket traction control I checked with racelogic and they don't do one, someone else may do.

And there's nowt wrong with a bit of wheelspin - Not when you are stationary and not moving

Post by Guest »

I'll let you know on Saturday :D
vwpower
Bronze Member

Post by vwpower »

I`m feeling the wheel spinning to.

Mine come with R-14 Wheels.

Do you think that with a R-15 or R-16 will keep on spinnig?
mole
Admin

Post by mole »

I've got 17" wheels vwpower, and it's fairly easy to spin when just trying to pull away quickly from a junction!