VAG Diagnostic Socket

Chat about your 9n Polo (inc GT and Fun)

Post by Guest »

mole wrote:Oh, sounds like a nightmare! Trouble all over the shop :(
You don't know the half of it!
Sadgeek
Getting There!

Cruise Control

Post by Sadgeek »

Sparkstack,

Do you have the VAG official part number for the cruise control? Thinking of getting this for my wife's new polo, as well as my existing passat, but I'm sure I read somewhere that fitting this for petrol VW can be a pain. TDI's are a simple case of fit and enable.

Thanks

Sadgeek
mole
Admin

Post by mole »

Sadgeek,

Welcome to the forums :)

I read somewhere (uk-mkivs i think) that on the Golfs at least, it wasn't as plug and play on the petrols as it is on the diesels, I'm not sure why.

Mole.
Sadgeek
Getting There!

Cruise Control

Post by Sadgeek »

I think it may be due to diesels not having throttle bodies, so the injection can be controlled directly by the ECU.

Course, this could be as far from the truth as some of the things the stealer was telling us in local VW garage...

If the part is 1J0 998 527, then this would seem to be a generic kit for all VW, as this is recommended for the Passat (TDI) as well as the Golfs.

Just curious, as I haven't tried this yet but would love to include it in my wish list
polo2k
Bling Bling Diamond Member

Post by polo2k »

the reason isnt because of injection jobbies it depends if you drive by wire or cable cos if its wire then the throttle position is already controled by the ecu but as a passive signal (no control it just passes thru) so the ecu can be told to shut the throttle or open it less but if its drive by cable then there is no system like that so the ecu cant shut the airflow into the engine* this would meen that some kind of servo would need to be installed and connected so that the ecu could move the buterfly depending on wheather it needs to accelerate (open~) of decelerate (close)

* if the injectors were simply shut then the engine would go terminally lean and die in a big fasion

############
WOOT 350th POST
############
mole
Admin

Post by mole »

Yeh I thought that. I'm 'drive-by-wire' so would that mean it's probably plug and play?

Congrats on ur 350 posts btw 2k!