Insurance nightmare!

Chat about your 9n Polo (inc GT and Fun)
Ratty
Getting There!

Insurance nightmare!

Post by Ratty »

To hell with these insurance companies!

Just received a quote today from Norwich Union for my Polo 1.2 55bhp fully comp on my step-dad's insurance (full FCB) with me as the named driver (17yrs old) for £1400!! :evil:
Bearing in mind my sister did the exact same with her 1.0 Lupo for only £600 (it's coz I'm a lad, I'm told).

Who are you lot using and how much are you paying? Only really applies to people of similar age.
Nelson_Wilbury

Post by Nelson_Wilbury »

Woah!! :shock:

My situation was exactly the same but my insurance was only £720. Perhaps its because your location or the bodykit/wheels etc
Ratty
Getting There!

Post by Ratty »

Which company you with?

The wheels/bodykit haven't even been mentioned yet and my sister lives in with me and it didn't hike up her premium! :cry:
Nelson_Wilbury

Post by Nelson_Wilbury »

My dad is with the co-op.
polo2k
Bling Bling Diamond Member

Post by polo2k »

think thats bad heres a list of some other thinkgs that imho should make the car safer and thus less on insurance, but actually do the opposite, RAISE IT!!!
bigger brakes
roll cage
wider tyres (wheater this is safer depends on the situation)
better ligting (in some cases)
lowering
being a mecanic :!: (for me it tots another 200 quid a year on :?:)
theres hundreds of other backwards things about insurance but here i will explain a little of the madness:
bigger brakes they assume that they are nt matched to the car otherwise they would be oem and they think you will drive faster if you think you can stop faster meaning less room to get out of bad situations
roll cage again they assume that if you have one fitted you will feel invincible ad trash your car
wider tyres another case of ive got more grip so i need less room to manovre, however i have explained elsewhere that if you fit tyres too big then they will never heat up and cold tyres dont grip. sure it might look killer but if you fitted 305 wide tyres to your polo (almost impossible if you want any arches left) thn the pressure exerted upon the groung is so small that the car slides easier (eg look at the rally cars on the sweedish rally and they run super skinny tyres to cut the ice and also to build a little temperature)
better lighting they think that if you can see further then you will drive faster (extension of the rule "never out-drive your lights)
lowering they aassume that a better handling car will be driven harder and if it dosent handle better than stock then your even more of a liability
being a mechanic personally i cant see the reasoning behind this one because most mechanics will see a problem before it becomes an issue. however if the policy covers any car driven then the risk raises infinatly because the insurance dosent knw if its an 948cc mint or a dodge viper
i hope that here i have pointed out a few odd things that insurance does but please dont "forget" to declare any mods because if you fit 19`s and then styack it when the assesor sees your car, i guarante that he will be laughing inside as he tells you where to insert you write off. this is the reason why my insures dont like me as i declare everything down to my foliatec dash trim (usually takes me around 1/2 an hour to declare everything verbally.
polo2k
Bling Bling Diamond Member

Post by polo2k »

sorry for my last post being so long but for if you think your insures are raping you then read on
i used to live in leeds with a 2 year old golf 3 1.4 single point injection 5-door (no declared mods- i wasent wise then) i had a transfered 5 years no claims was 17 at the time and th cheepest quote i could find was £3000 (repeat three THOUSAND quid) so id say that in perspective yous isnt too bad. if you want bad then ring up for a quote on a nova i guarantee there shouldnt be too much difference and its a shed
ps please excuse the diabolical typing skillZ :wink: but its 6 am and i havnt slept yet (fao josh need a yawn emoticon lol)