Attn Diesel owners

Chat about your 9n Polo (inc GT and Fun)
des_pd_ tdi
Gold Member

Attn Diesel owners

Post by des_pd_ tdi »

I hit 6000 miles at the weekend and I was on a fast drive back from Oxford down the M40. As I neared London the yellow oil light came on advising that I check the oil at the next convenient time (according to the handbook anyway)

I slowed down the rest of the way and thought it best to check the oil level in the morning when I could get a decent reading. The damn thing was near empty, the oil just about registerred on the dipstick, so much for oil warning lights.

Anyway I put some Castrol GTD in after phoning VW assistance for advice on Oil as the handbook is usless, there are very few Oils suitable for Vdub diesels especially the pumpe dusse versions so beware.

CHECK YOUR OIL

Des
tdisport
Getting There!

oil

Post by tdisport »

Ive noticed mine drink the old oil. Luckily Im on standard servicing so dont need the expensive long-life oil.

I went into dealer and asked what oil I needed and he give me free bottle of audi/vw/seat oil. Thats what i been topping up with. Hope its the right one.

I had majot problem with oil filler cap as it wouldn't come off and kept twisting. Managed to get it off - SO I THOUGHT. Bombed up m-way to cheltenham and could smell buring oil. pulled over and it was steaming everywhere. The bloody cap wasn't on properly under the stupid engine cover and poured everywhere.

Guess is was my fault being a tart but its the worst design ive seen. 14 yr old reno 5 is better than that (my other 1/2s car). How could I see under the bloody engine cover so see it had been knocked loose.

nevermind, going 4 service end if march (10,000 miles).
mole
Admin

Post by mole »

About 6 months ago (and about 5,000 miles on the clock), I was on my way back from Cornwall to Kent when the oil warning light came on. I checked the oil next chance I got and it was fairly low. Topped it up with nearly 2 (!!) litres of oil from a garage (services I might add - what a rip off!!!). I checked the handbook and it gave the VW oil number. I then looked on the back of the oil in the garage and it gave the same VW number.

I put it down to the car being new, and just doing 6 hours of 80mph, with the odd blast to flat out, which at the time, was almost a ton (it struggled to get there!). That was of course, on our private air field that runs from Cornwall to Kent!

Last week I took the Polo from Kent to Sweden on a 26 hour solid drive, and then back again, which was 18 hours. Checked the oil after getting there, and also when we were back, and it is fine.

So, I agree with des:

CHECK YOUR OIL!!