Alternator not charging solution - Polo 9n

Chat about your 9n Polo (inc GT and Fun)
slicker55
New
Drives: 1.4TDI 2008

Re: Alternator not charging solution - Polo 9n

Post by slicker55 »

CarbonChaos wrote: Wed Jun 09, 2021 7:09 pm By earthing a wire you are testing the circuit, as in your previous post your battery light does illuminate under certain conditions this seems pointless. I’d be fitting an alternator
Thank you for replying and for your advice to replace the alternator (a new one is on order)...

In the meantime, I decided to do the test anyway, earthed the blue wire and switched the ignition on (engine not started) - battery light did not illuminate. I then repeated the same test with the brown wire but still no battery light...

I'm pretty convinced the alternator is faulty - we should know for sure when the new one is fitted - fingers crossed!

So, to wrap things up... as the battery light comes on when the engine is revved, no need to do any more testing for breaks in the wiring but could the problem lie somewhere else... thinking about ECU, Onboard Power Supply Module etc... or am I just getting a bit carried away and over-thinking things?
PercyPig
New
Drives: Polo 9N 53 Plate 1.4Tdi

Post by PercyPig »

Just joined to thank Drewbar for the post. Fixed the 2 wires as per your post, mine were Blue and Green/Purple.
Here's a new link to purchase a pre-wired connector:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/263003013344

Splice it in with soldering and shrink wrap, and hey presto the Battery light is back and existing alternator kicks in as it should.
If you want a VAG connector that you'll wire yourself this is the part No. 1J0973722, but far easier to get the pre-wired.

Many thanks again.
Kamerin29
New
Drives: Polo 9n3

Post by Kamerin29 »

Hi guys I have a polo 9n3 2009 model..While driving the car a few lights came on the dashboard an abs,a warning lights,a steering control light.. And the steering got very tight.i turned the car off and tried starting again but it did not start. I then took it to a battery shop to test..Alternator was faulty..I repaired the Alternator with a regulator and brushes. Drove the car one day with a full battery and it happened again with the lights on the dashboard and steering lost its power, and the car would not start. Please help.
Kamerin29
New

Post by Kamerin29 »

Hi guys I have a polo 9n3 2009 model..While driving the car a few lights came on the dashboard an abs,a warning lights,a steering control light.. And the steering got very tight.i turned the car off and tried starting again but it did not start. I then took it to a battery shop to test..Alternator was faulty..I repaired the Alternator with a regulator and brushes. Drove the car one day with a full battery and it happened again with the lights on the dashboard and steering lost its power, and the car would not start. Please help.
Kamerin29
New

Post by Kamerin29 »

Kamerin29
New

Post by Kamerin29 »

Maarten
Silver Member
Drives: AW R-line Facelift MY2022 Vibrant Violet

Post by Maarten »

First things first.
Make an autoscan.
There will several faultcodes stored.