9n3 plug n play rear cluster wiring adapters. DONE!! See Pg2

Chat about your 9n Polo (inc GT and Fun)

Would you be interested in buying these adapters?

Yes
96%
No
4%

Total votes: 24

K.I.T.T.
Platinum Member
Drives: Bicycle

9n3 plug n play rear cluster wiring adapters. DONE!! See Pg2

Post by K.I.T.T. »

Hey,

I know there's a guide on the forum telling how to rewire your rear cluster connectors to work with 9n3 lights. However when I tried it last year, I found it near impossible to get the terminals out of the connectors as have a few other members.

I managed to get around this by contacting a german vendor on eBay, who at the time charged over 30 Euros to send some adapters. Then again, these turned out to be for LHD clusters so they didn't work right, but striping the adapters and using my trusy soldering iron I sorted it out in the end :D

I think I may have found the parts needed to make these adapters and don't think it'd cost that much if parts were bought in batches.

Would there be any interest in these if I were to make a batch?

Depending on interest, I'd research into the matter more ad come up with a definite price.

All opinions welcomed.
Ash :)
Last edited by K.I.T.T. on Thu Jun 03, 2010 9:47 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Veedub9n
Silver Member

Re: 9n3 rear cluster wiring adapters....gauging interest.

Post by Veedub9n »

Good idea tbh. POst on CP to see how many people would on there aswel. Quite a few threads about asking about how to wire them.
Pete_W
New

Post by Pete_W »

Sounds like a good idea, i'd be intrested. too lazy to bother doing it myself :lol:
K.I.T.T.
Platinum Member

Post by K.I.T.T. »

Thanks for the feedback :)

I'll keep you updated in this post and via PM. Can't really start making them till my exams finish in May, but I should have figured out the parts needed the next time I nip into VW :)

Ash
chewy
Platinum Member

Post by chewy »

I would have one off you :D
K.I.T.T.
Platinum Member

Post by K.I.T.T. »

Haha cheers guys :D

Posted on club polo too, but haven't had much response lol...not really a fan of club polo tbh
http://www.clubpolo.co.uk/forum/index.p ... pic=145149

I'll try and price them up the next time I pop into VW. Might not be able to make any till the end of May once I've finished my final year exams, but I'll keep you all posted.

Veedub9n
Silver Member

Post by Veedub9n »

With the wiring for reverse lights i heard, you can have either 1 light or both lights.... Which did you go for on yours??
K.I.T.T.
Platinum Member

Post by K.I.T.T. »

Veedub9n wrote:With the wiring for reverse lights i heard, you can have either 1 light or both lights.... Which did you go for on yours??
There are reverse lights on both sides on the 9n, but I'm pretty certain it's just one side on the 9n3. Well, with it wired up as it is now, I have single reverse on the left and single fog on the right.

I'm pretty certain with the stock 9n clusters there is only one rear fog on the right.

Where did you hear you could have two reverse on 9n3 rears? Any links? Pretty sure there aren't any extra connectors on the rear clusters which would enable one. Would be happy to be proved wrong though :) I'd love my 2nd reverse light back :D

The stock 9n right side cluster has 6 connectors, but the 9n3 has 5. there are 6 wires in the loom and with my adapters, I hooked up the reverse wire to the terminal on the connector which corresponeded with a blank on the rear cluster.

Veedub9n
Silver Member

Post by Veedub9n »

http://www.clubpolo.co.uk/forum/index.p ... pic=120679

there you go, link to get twin reverse lights. Yeah only 1 fog light on a 9n. I'm hoping to get 9n3 rears, when i can source a pair out and if new seats are cheap. Hopefully not much work in wiring them up and getting them fitted.
K.I.T.T.
Platinum Member

Post by K.I.T.T. »

Interesting...I'll give that a try when I can be bothered :D

Ash
K.I.T.T.
Platinum Member

Post by K.I.T.T. »

Just thought I'd update this:

Found all the part numbers I need, but they seem rather highly priced (£2.50ish for ONE connector HOUSING :? That doesn't include terminals, contacts, etc). So that's about £10 in housings, then contacts, wire and postage. Can't see it being less that £15 with p&p. Only person interested so far is Chewy. Any other takers? If I get enough interest, might try and import a higher quantity of parts from VW in Germany which may work out cheaper.

danielpasieka
New

Post by danielpasieka »

i'd be interested in these as my 9n3 tails are tinted so there are no reflectors i.e- m.o.t fail! and it's just a hassle rewiring them when it comes to m.o.t time so the clusters would come in handy :)
sep_rider
Getting There!

Post by sep_rider »

If these are ready to buy yet drop us a line ASAP!
K.I.T.T.
Platinum Member

Post by K.I.T.T. »

Flipping heck, didn't realise there'd be this much interest :lol:

No they're not ready yet - my life's a bit hectic right now as I'm relocating to London, but I'll do my best to get on the case and have a batch built in the next couple of weeks!

Cheers,
sep_rider
Getting There!

Post by sep_rider »

Any Progress on this Kitt?