Air con not working right? Replace the V68 motor - HOW TO.

Chat about your 9n Polo (inc GT and Fun)
K.I.T.T.
Platinum Member
Drives: Bicycle

Re: Air con not working right? Replace the V68 motor - HOW T

Post by K.I.T.T. »

Good to hear this guide is still proving useful.

Tom, what exactly did you swap over from the new motor casing to the old one? Mine started playing up towards the start of the year - did the pikey fix again (and broke another bracket! :roll: ), but it didn't seem to have any effect. It then spontaneously resolved about a month or so later and has been fine ever since. Ideally, I'd like to put a brand new potentiometer in, if one can be used from a new "donor" motor. Cheap ones occasionally turn up on eBay that appear to have different cogs, but I have a hunch most of the electronics inside are similar.

Ash :)
Greendon
New
Drives: 9N

Post by Greendon »

Fascinating. Is all this applicable to a 9N Polo, '04 reg, 2004?

What is the significance of VCDS and Vagcom, and is there anyone in the vicinity of Hove who could assist (with those two systems) if I need?

Much appreciated. Prices from VW today are temp flap motor (the v68 referred to in the thread?) £148, recirc flap motor £28, bracket £7.

Regards - Greendon
alexperkins
Site Admin
Drives: 91 Golf GTI, 01 TT 225, 54 T5 174

Post by alexperkins »

Yes it is
Greendon
New

Post by Greendon »

Thanks Alex,

but I meant to ask whether it was applicable to a 6N, not 9N as I wrote. Still the case?

Thanks - Doug
alexperkins
Site Admin

Post by alexperkins »

Hi Doug. A 2004 is a 9N

6N is 1995-1999
Greendon
New

Post by Greendon »

Aha. Thanks. Local VW main agent checked parts for me the other day, told me mine was a 6N.

Jolly good thread, this. Suitably encouraged and educated, I'll get on with it shortly.

Regards - Doug
Greendon
New

Post by Greendon »

Hello there.

I've had the motor apart, cleaned the pot, plugged it in again. I find that when the temp knob (it's Climatic) is on full cold, the motor runs to one extreme. I wind the knob up towards full hot, and nothing happens until I reach full hot. Then it runs to the opposite extreme. if I leave the temp control at an intermittent position the motor does make small incremental movements.

Is this as it should be?

One hint - I fiddled around for ages trying to get the pot out, but having pulled the electric motor out, the pot lifts out in the frame which holds the two motor electrical terminals and the plug socket. I.e. the blue bit stays in the black frame.

Starting the car, the cabin fan runs at the various speeds as it should. With the temp knob at full cold, press the AC button, which lights up. No compressor though. Press the Recirc. button, it lights up, and the fan noise changes, so I conclude the recirc motor is operating. After a few minutes, the recirc turns itself off, AC light still on.

Just started it again, and Can't select the recirc any more. Although the little motor is still making small corrections as I'd expect. Before I took it apart there was no reaction to control knob adjustments.

The Air con fuse is good, with current to the fuse socket. I can't the control panel out as I don't have the radio removal tongs, but I've blown the dust out of the cabin air sensor.

And I didn't break the motor frame!

Can anyone suggest any further diagnostics I can do before giving in and going to the professionals?

Thanks - Doug
Last edited by Greendon on Mon Jul 06, 2015 4:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
alexperkins
Site Admin

Post by alexperkins »

Is there plenty of refrigerant in the AC circuit?
Greendon
New

Post by Greendon »

Thanks Alex, I just edited the previous post. Stepper motor is now stepping and we have control over the temperature for the first time since I can remember.

Anyway, there may very well be insufficient refrigerant pressure. The air con hasn't worked for years! I'm hoping to tick all the other diagnostic boxes first, and I realise the compressor won't start with low refrigerant.

Doug
K.I.T.T.
Platinum Member
Drives: Bicycle

Re: Air con not working right? Replace the V68 motor - HOW TO.

Post by K.I.T.T. »

Saw someone looking for this thread earlier and realised I hadn't posted my update from last 2014.

The pikey fix worked twice and then failed again. I got fed up and found another flap motor for Golf Mk4 chassis cars, part number 1J2907511B0 brand new (NOS) for a tenner on eBay. Not sure what it was used for, but the housing was pretty much identical, although it had a different swing arm / cog on the outside.

Opened it up and it looked exactly like the original on the Polo, bar a white potentiometer instead of blue. The pot itself had a different resistance value compared to the original, but I thought what the hell. Swapped the new pot into the old housing and it's been working like a charm ever since.

So, if the pikey fix doesn't work, instead of forking out three figures for a new motor, procure a similar looking one (new preferably) from eBay that's cheap (sub £30) and swap the pot over. The complete assemblies themselves are Bosch and used in a number of applications. Their similar electrically, although I can't guarantee every conceivable pot will work correctly in the Polo. Thought I'd chance it for £10. Maybe I got lucky. Are you feeling lucky?

Ash
bvs
Silver Member
Drives: 02 1.4s 16v

Post by bvs »

I am half way through this job now LOL
Our car also had the long mounting bracket - it would have been much more difficult/impossible a job without this really useful guide :D
I have shortened the mounting bracket as shown by KITT and am picking up a new v68 motor from vw tomorrow (ouch LOL) but have decided that I just want to do the job once - will let you know how it goes but many thanks to Kitt and Rick Ward for all the useful info !
bvs
Silver Member

Post by bvs »

Job done without causing too much damage LOL
I guess at least half of the 120ish quid cost was in getting it sent from Malaysia :) - the old one was made in spain !
I plugged it in before final fit and seemed to motor ok - temp control seemed ok on a shortish run but I guess a long run will be needed to prove a complete fix.
RUM4MO
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: B8 S4 & 6R/6C1 1.2TSI 110

Post by RUM4MO »

Malaysia - oh!
Seems like stuff made in Spain is not usually much good, so maybe Malaysia is better, oldest daughter works as a teacher there in KL, and owns a Myvi!
bvs
Silver Member

Post by bvs »

We have done a few longish trips now and the temp seems quite stable so fingers crossed will be ok for the summer.
Last summer was a little warm at times in the car when the heating suddenly went to 'full hot' :mrgreen:
RUM4MO
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: B8 S4 & 6R/6C1 1.2TSI 110

Post by RUM4MO »

Getting too hot, yes my old Passat, when it had that problem did get a bit hot, on one trip back home I had to give in at Gretna and let our selves cool off for a while, before heading further North!