Air con not working right? Replace the V68 motor - HOW TO.

Chat about your 9n Polo (inc GT and Fun)
hartge
Silver Member

Re: Air con not working right? Replace the V68 motor - HOW TO.

Post by hartge »

anyone in Oxfordshire want to do this for me? LOL
K.I.T.T.
Platinum Member
Drives: Bicycle

Post by K.I.T.T. »

hartge wrote:anyone in Oxfordshire want to do this for me? LOL
Chuck in a bottle of Bombay Sapphire / Martin Miller, drive over to Gloucestershire or cover my fuel to Oxfordshire / back and I'll happily sort it out - I think I've got these down to minutes rather than hours now. Replacing the motor or attempting the pikey fix?

Ash
hartge
Silver Member

Post by hartge »

Cheers Ash, may have to take you up on that offer although on mine the garage told me it was the V154 flap which the computer flagged as intermittent, i think PN: 6Q2819453A

RUM4MO
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: B8 S4 & 6R/6C1 1.2TSI 110

Post by RUM4MO »

Oooh that could be a different kettle of fish, it certainly was on my Passat - Polo one behaved itself!
K.I.T.T.
Platinum Member

Post by K.I.T.T. »

Apart from the code, is the V154 motor misbehaving per se? VCDS throws an error on mine, but the motor seems to work fine -recirculates when the button is pushed, fresh air when pushed again. The auto-recirc function works fine when reverse is engaged too. Regardless of any codes, If it ain't broke...

I have a few more errors that you though :mrgreen: The oil level sensor is my first point of call later this month. Pretty sure the Drive Battery code is from my battery dying last year. Cluster DTC should hopefully go away one the oil level sensor issue is fixed

Code: Select all

VAG-COM Version: Release  311.2-N

Chassis Type: 9N1 - VW Polo
Scan: 01,02,03,08,09,15,17,19,37,44,46,56,69

Address 01     -------------------------------------------------------
   Controller: 045 906 019 AP 
   Component: 1,4l R3 EDC 0200SG  1554
   Coding: 00002
   Shop #: WSC 00788
   WVWZZZ9NZ3*******   VWZ7Z0B*******
1 Fault Found:
18062 - Please check DTC Memory of Instrument Cluster
            P1654 - 35-10 - - - Intermittent
Readiness: N/A

Address 03     -------------------------------------------------------
   Controller: 6Q0 907 379 L  
   Component: ABS FRONT MK60      0101
   Coding: 0001097
No fault code found.

Address 08     -------------------------------------------------------
   Controller: 6Q0 820 045    
   Component: Klimaanlage        X0840
1 Fault Found:
01596 - Motor for Outside/Recirculated Air Flap (V154)
            30-10 - Open or Short to B+ - Intermittent

Address 09     -------------------------------------------------------
   Controller: 6Q1 937 049 C  
   Component: 00 BN-SG.           1S33
   Coding: 09358
1 Fault Found:
01598 - Drive Battery Voltage
            07-10 - Signal to Low - Intermittent

Skipping Address 15-Airbags

Address 17     -------------------------------------------------------
   Controller: 6Q0 920 920 G 
   Component: KOMBI+WEGFAHRSP VDO V15
   Coding: 01432
   Shop #: WSC 00000
   WVWZZZ9NZ3Y235120     VWZ7Z0B6354862
3 Faults Found:
00562 - Sensor for Oil Level/Temperature (G266)
            30-00 - Open or Short to B+
            29-10 - Short to Ground - Intermittent
            27-10 - Implausible Signal - Intermittent

Address 19     -------------------------------------------------------
   Controller: 6N0 909 901    
   Component: 10 GATEWAY  CAN    1S33
   Coding: 00014
No fault code found.

Address 44     -------------------------------------------------------
   Controller: 6Q0 423 156 Q  
   Component: LenkhilfeTRW        V250
   Coding: 10120
No fault code found.

Address 46     -------------------------------------------------------
   Controller: 6Q0 959 433 E  
   Component: 4M Komfortgerát     0002
   Coding: 00065
No fault code found.

End   -------------------------------------------------------
Ash
hartge
Silver Member

Post by hartge »

I get no "fresh" air con air at all. its either too blimming hot (usually turning it off for afew mintures resets it) or its too cold. re-circ button does nothing at all.
K.I.T.T.
Platinum Member

Post by K.I.T.T. »

V154 may be truly knackered then. Are you sure you've got enough refrigerant and the rest of the A/C (compressor etc) is fine? V68 usually (not always) throws a fault code...

Ash
hartge
Silver Member

Post by hartge »

When I went to get the aircon sorted out they said it wasnt working properly after re-gassing it, then brought up the V154 fault. Maybe I need a proper Vagcom puter on it :)
RUM4MO

Post by RUM4MO »

One thing about the recirculating flapmotor is, it does two jobs, the obvious one is closing off the incoming air at the top of the heater plenum box, the other job is that it redistributes or changes the circulated air flow, ie with outlets. This end up making the air flow quantity a lot lower than you would hope for, but does not change the air temperature of the delivered air. So, if you are only bothered about not being able to control the delivered air temperature, then you really need to get hold of VCDS and display the data from that motor while performing basic settings or just while changing the demanded air temperature. By doing that you will see if the flapmotor position is changing when demanded. There might even be a viewable channel to make sure that the controller demanded temperature is also changing as if that is not, the flapmotor position will not change even if the flapmotor is working.
RUM4MO

Post by RUM4MO »

K.I.T.T. wrote:V154 may be truly knackered then. Are you sure you've got enough refrigerant and the rest of the A/C (compressor etc) is fine? V68 usually (not always) throws a fault code...

Ash
Just a thought, even if the AC fridge system was faulty or totally not operating, in this weather, it will be possible to keep the cabin area of the car cool by just using the ambient outside air, so if when demanding minimum Lo temperature, the air in the outlets is still hot, then something is wrong with the temperature regulating system, either the temperature demand or the temperature regulating flapmotor.
K.I.T.T.
Platinum Member

Post by K.I.T.T. »

It has been quite cold recently. Then again, 8 degrees in Cheltenham now feels 'pleasant'!

The motor may well have done. Happy to scan with VCDS (presuming you have a 9n and not a 9n3 Hartge - my old version of VCDS is only good up till the 9n). Repairing / replacing the V68 is a piece of cake for me, can't imagine the V154 being too difficult either (famous last words?). Tiny hands makes working on the car quite easy :lol:

Ash
RUM4MO

Post by RUM4MO »

Your VCDS running out of life, oh no, so that must mean that you are leaving the VAG "band of brothers" - I suppose that I'm only a VAG owner/user because I can buy, at a reasonable price, a dedicated SCAN tool - this comes from someone that knows every car will give you problems!

I never ever did need to look at the recirculate flapmotor location on the 9N Polo, but, that flapmotor on the B5 Passat is located at the LHS of the "underdash" and there is only about 25mm space between it and the metalwork of the car's body, so reaching in with tools is a "no no" and even if you did reach in, there is the issue of disconnecting the second linkage and moving the flapmotor out of the plenum - very very nasty, if not "dash out" certainly dash loosened off and one end forced down - that job got dismissed quickly. Lots of people just wreck the air flap, but as I said, there is another function (linkage) that messes up the air distribution if the flapmotor can not change position, and that bit tends to get hidden towards the front of the car, at least in the B5 Passat.

Edit:- yes "tiny" hands are handy in lots of situations, can save stripping parts off, though these tiny hands do end up getting lots of cuts etc!
K.I.T.T.
Platinum Member

Post by K.I.T.T. »

Well, considering I bought my 1.4 TDI in 2007 as a one / two year car (soon after passing my test) and still have it nearly nine years on, I'm not entirely sure I'll be handing my VAG card in any time soon! Life as a uni student ended, the recession hit, real life began and all of a sudden, having a shiny new car wasn't anywhere near the top of the priorities list. Timing belt kit and water pump was done last year. At 98k, I do believe it would benefit from a suspension refresh all round, but I think there's plenty of life left in it yet.

It's actually a really old version (VAG-COM; the predecessor to VCDS) that was lying around. I've just never needed a newer version!

The V154 is located near the A pillar behind the glove box - behind a load of sharp metal. I got scratched to buggery messing in that area routing a power cable through the LHD bonnet release grommet to power an amp (which I never installed!). Regarding the V68, it's really simple, and definitely not dash-out. I do believe that clearance in LHD cars is much worse though.

Small hands are also a joy for changing headlamp bulbs, even in a cramped TDI bay. Although I still can't do the NS sidelight without first removing the battery!

Ash
FlyingDutchman
New
Drives: 2003 Polo 1.4L

Post by FlyingDutchman »

Hi everyone, a newbie here. I’ve been getting roasted every summer in our 2003 Polo hatchback, so I’ll need to Pikie fix or replace the V68. I have massive hands and I’m not particularly good at working on cars.

Ash, are you still happy to help with this in exchange for alcohol and/or cash? 😋 I live in Farnham and can bring the car to you any time.

John
littlepolo
Gold Member

Post by littlepolo »

Doing this job now and stuck at:

12. Remove the motor and bracket.

How to unclip/remove the motor? The black tab shown in the photo is very tight and when I lift it cannot dislodge the motor. There is some lateral movement around this area but cannot figure out what I need to do to release it.
rsz_img_20190720_151717.jpg
Assembly shown with fixing area in red and tab in green.
rsz_v68_motor_assy.jpg