Rear Aero Wiper

Chat about your 9n Polo (inc GT and Fun)
mole
Admin

Post by mole »

The webserver was down, should be back up now :)
Ballyhoo
Bronze Member

Post by Ballyhoo »

cheers! :D
Ballyhoo
Bronze Member

Post by Ballyhoo »

Mole: I've just tried to fit this bleeding wiper and well I followed your instructions-well its simple, buty I cannot get theold wiper off. I undid the nut with the correct spanner and well it ain't coming off the car. Is there anything else I should do? :? [/quote]
des_pd_ tdi
Gold Member

Post by des_pd_ tdi »

Leave the old one on, forward me the aero wiper and I'll try it :lol:
Ballyhoo
Bronze Member

Post by Ballyhoo »

£580 and its yours!
or sawp for smoe alloys :lol:
dxg

Post by dxg »

Yeah, I thought I'd give this a try this lunchtime and I've real trouble with it as well - have given up on it.

Mole, perhaps you can advise on the following:

The replacement arm has a bush that's unthreaded - was yours? - I assume this is meant to slip over the treaded shaft coming through the glass, and the nut holds it tight. If this is the case, where is the key that transmits the rotation of the shaft through to the arm?? When I've played with wipers on previous cars there's been "splines" running the length of the shaft around the circumfrence that key with inset splines on the arm bush, but I can't understand this mechanism without getting it further apart.

This picture might explain it:

Also, when I go to the car, I find that the nut comes off fine, but then the arm is well and truely stuck on there. It won't rotate on the shaft (fine, I didn't expect it to with the gearing in the motor assembly), but it simply won't pull off the shaft (oh-er!) - all that happens is that the rubber grommet (arrows) distorts in a Idon'tlikewhatyou'redoingtomepleasestopitnow kind of way.

Picture:

Note the discolouration of the plastic cap - that's my main reason for wanting to do this mod. Looks terrible on a black car.

Deek. (perplexed - a simple mod can't be this hard, can it??) :?
dxg

Post by dxg »

I think the problem is with step three in your instructions - when you say "pull off" how much force is required?
des_pd_ tdi
Gold Member

Post by des_pd_ tdi »

Why don't you also spray the arm and cap to match the car, then you won't encounter disscolouration. It'll look a whole lot better for it.
dxg

Post by dxg »

Yup, good idea - the car has to go back to have the whole rear quarter panel resprayed anyway :( , so I could ask them to slip the aero components in...

Just can't believe something as simple as this has defeated me. I'll look at it again tonight, I think. Maybe it just needs a good tug.

I'll wait to see what Mole says, first though.
mole
Admin

Post by mole »

Right then, the simple mod isn't so simple after all! :lol:

If I remember correctly, mine had splines on it, I'm sure of it, but I'll go and check, and if it hasn't, it's a weird old way of doing it!!

[EDIT] It has!!!! Check yours again, but I don't see how you missed them if it has :roll:

Right, to get the wiper off I levered it with a screw driver, gently and carefully between the wiper and the rubber gromit. That should do ya!
Sorry if I made it sound easier than it actually is :lol:

Deek, how about instead of spraying it body colour (shiney) spray it satin black with a can from halfords, imo it will look much better.

How comes the hole quarter panel is getting resprayed?

Hope this helps you all anyway!
Let me know how you get on.

Mole.

One more thing..... I've only just found this out!
The new cap, compare it to the old one and you'll notice it has 3 "clips" where as the old one had 2. I ended up cutting the 3rd out with a stanley knife because the cap kept unclipping when the wiper turned and this seems to have solved it.
Nelson_Wilbury

Post by Nelson_Wilbury »

I didn't fit my wiper (too mechanical minded for me :lol: ) but it did need quite a tug to pull off!! (*ahem*)

I'm not gonna say yank it off I I did (again, *ahem*) because I don't wanna get in trouble if something breaks but I'd use Moleys levering idea.
KarlM
Bling Bling Diamond Member

Post by KarlM »

Why don't you also spray the arm and cap to match the car, then you won't encounter disscolouration. It'll look a whole lot better for it.
I've had this done on mine and it does look better for it, look in the members ride section to have a look.
Ballyhoo
Bronze Member

Post by Ballyhoo »

Wednesday at 21.45: Decide to have a bash in the enar dark to get the blo*dy areao wiper arm on my car.

21.46: Wrestle trying to get the arm off
21.48@ suceed!!!!!! :D
21.50: fit new wiper arm and adjust
21.52: Its not pitch black and I can't see anything else so go in house feeling happy thats 1st mod has been done!

TIP: It does need some levering to get the old wiper arm off, but it is easier if you pull the wiper arm towards you(this seems to loosen it?), pul with some (cough)force(cough) trying not to damage car and it WILL come off. Fitting the new wiper is easy-see Mole's guide.

Complete! :D 8) :D
dxg

Post by dxg »

WOO and, indeed, YAY!!!

Thanks, guys, for the help!

Mine's now fitted too. All my shaft needed was a good ol' tugging :wink:

It was a bit corroroded(sp?) in there, plus the spring wants to push the wiper further against the window, so the reaction force is trying to make the arm rotate anti-clockwise (from top looking down) around the shaft's length. - Bally's pulling the arm into the "out" position idea was a big help.

But - BUT!! I noticed something very interesting:

The old fashioned blade is:

a) not polo-specific - the parts number in the inside of the cap starts 7M3, not 6Q6

b) spanish!! - see picture - I know my car was built in spain, and this might explain why, in my dealer's show room, some of the newer polos coming in still have the old style blade (I'm there often enough - I've been watching these cars come and go!!)

Old:
(It says "SPAIN" - yes, the old assembly is the left one :roll:)

New:
(Didn't notice until I fitted it to the car, so don't know if GERMANY is printed on the new parts anywhere)

Also the german cars (well, the ones with the aero blade, also have a three-point harness for the middle rear seatbelt (i.e. not just a lap belt per my spanish car) and a small - half-height head rest in the middle. This doesn't seem to correlate with the model version in any way - so I can only put it down to spanish verus german cars.
Edit: but this might be related to the ISO-fix child seat option thingie, so maybe it's not exactly like I say.

BTW, for "German" above, you should be reading "Don't actually know where - I think it might be Belgium, but it's definately not Spain"

Deek
Ballyhoo
Bronze Member

Post by Ballyhoo »

dxg wrote: All my shaft needed was a good ol' tugging
Aey! Yep! Nice choice of words.

It feels good when its on sucess in me achieving a modification! I thought at one point :roll: I wasn't going to be beaten by a wiper blade! :D

Only joking dxg :)