Remapping a 1.4

Chat about your 9n Polo (inc GT and Fun)
EB V10
New

Remapping a 1.4

Post by EB V10 »

Has anyone had a remap for a 1.4 16v? It looks like it can add about 12bhp. Just wondering if its worth it.
adam93
Getting There!

Re: Remapping a 1.4

Post by adam93 »

No point on a 1.4. Gain will be noticeable but not worth it.
RUM4MO
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: B8 S4 & 6R/6C1 1.2TSI 110

Post by RUM4MO »

adam93 wrote:No point on a 1.4. Gain will be noticeable but not worth it.
Well, maybe so, but I'd hope that it would end up being a lot better to drive, some issues of the stock s/w caused quite a few problems and VW don't seem to know why/if a reflash is required.

Alternative plan could be to use Shell V-Power, like I do with wife's BBY engined Polo, and before anyone says "what a waste of money" - maybe try it, in theory it should not change anything but with that car it did and I'm sure that she would not like me to change back to regular Shell.
Ben90
Silver Member
Drives: Olympian Blue Polo TDi Sport

Post by Ben90 »

Have a look under your fuel cap, there should be a sticker with two octane numbers which denote the fuel VW intended that particular engine to run on. If it's 91/95 then standard unleaded will be fine and high octane fuels like V-Power would not be utilised by the engine. If it's 95/99 then Momentum/V-power/BP will be its preferred tipple.

Hope this helps!
RUM4MO

Post by RUM4MO »

Ben90 wrote:Have a look under your fuel cap, there should be a sticker with two octane numbers which denote the fuel VW intended that particular engine to run on. If it's 91/95 then standard unleaded will be fine and high octane fuels like V-Power would not be utilised by the engine. If it's 95/99 then Momentum/V-power/BP will be its preferred tipple.

Hope this helps!
Common sense made me believe that was true, but, after feeding this car, with 91/95 adviced under the fuel flap, with higher octane fuel, really just to help to clean it out a bit as higher octane fuels come with "loads" more cleaning agents, and discovering that it stopped the pinking, and more importantly for a 75PS engine, gives the car a lot more grunt in summer and winter.

For anyone that has "accidentaly" bought a 75PS Polo, try a few tank fulls of V-Power or ESSO equivalent, and feel the differance, it probably helps if you normally use the car on longer journeys out of town. For years I was too sensible/tight to waste extra money on high octane fuels as the engine's ECU should not be able to fully utilise the higher octane fuel, but I've come to eat my words there. I'd reckon that it is partly down to incorrect engine MAPPING which VAG would never update as it "can't" be wrong!
New

Post by AvatarX »

I kind of agree. Mine , a 6R 1.4 85 ps feels a lot better in terms of power with Vpower, especially during long travels where I get better mpg than normal fuel. Strange but true ...
EB V10
New

Post by EB V10 »

I put in Jet Super Unleaded in at the weekend (Octane = 97). I do a lot of in town driving with other motorway driving which means the engine gets a bit of a work out. So I'm thinking I might test out a few different fuels and compare the different results for a 1.4 16V engine. Good idea? S**t idea?
john.p.clegg
Bronze Member

Post by john.p.clegg »

Go for it,I'll wait for the resultant MPG figures...
Thanks
John :wink:
EB V10
New

Post by EB V10 »

I will start the text next week and possibly do it over a month to get the full effect.
RUM4MO

Post by RUM4MO »

EB V10 wrote:I will start the text next week and possibly do it over a month to get the full effect.
I think that it will take a few tank fills to get the full effect if any as the engines stored but adaptable parameters, or trim values will take some time to "get" to their best "new" values.

Also, please do not mess about trying any old UL+, stick to one brand of fuel, I stuck to Shell, not due to any loyalty, but that it claims to be loaded with cleaners and that should improve things by itself - then you should feel the benefit of the higher octane fuel plus the constant cleaning of the combustion areas and maybe fuel system.

It is the unknown missing cleaners and burn modifiers that mean that supermarket petrols, same base spirit, do tend to cause modern engines to get clogged up more than they should, especially in colder Northern European climates.
RUM4MO

Post by RUM4MO »

AvatarX wrote:I kind of agree. Mine , a 6R 1.4 85 ps feels a lot better in terms of power with Vpower, especially during long travels where I get better mpg than normal fuel. Strange but true ...
I'm glad to hear that you are getting better MPG figures when using UL+, I'd reckon that is a case of working out your £/mile and seeing if using UL+ ends up being cheaper - as some will be when using "expensive/better" fuel. My B5 Passat 2.8v6 is rated for using that fuel or ordinary UL and it seems to get a bit more MPG using UL+, unfortunately, the 9N Polo 1.4SE 75PS does not, but it feels so much better to drive - and that in itself really makes a difference, so the MPG gets ignored for now. Don't get me wrong, the Polo is not getting "hammered" now due to it being better to drive - just same conditions as normal, I've been using V-Power in it since maybe June/July last year, originally to stop pinking.
Freebster
New
Drives: Polo SEL

Post by Freebster »

For some reason, engine seems to pull better and is smoother with Shell V-power. Wife notices the difference with the car when I fill up with V-power vs regular unleaded.
It would still be nice to have more power - has anyone found a remap or tune to help this engine?

2011 Polo SEL 1.4 DSG
smokey
New
Drives: Polo SE

Post by smokey »

Old thread i apologise

1.2 tsi 90 prefers sainsburys super and above.

i get just over 500 miles to a tank with 97ron and above

James