Thinking of selling up, one of those "what's it worth" posts

Chat about your 9n Polo (inc GT and Fun)
K.I.T.T.
Platinum Member
Drives: Bicycle

Thinking of selling up, one of those "what's it worth" posts

Post by K.I.T.T. »

So, I've been away from the scene for a while. I've had my '53 1.4 TDI Sport since 2007. It only had 23k miles on when I bought it from VW. It was mainly used for travelling between home and uni during holidays and as of 2011, used for my 20 mile-each-way commute. As a result, it's just under 67k on the odometer. It's served me well for the past six years, however an impending move down south where I'll be walking to work combined with the fact that I'm now over 25 and insuring something more exotic is feasible means I'm considering selling up.

I'm in two minds about selling up as I love the car to bits and have always gone out of my way to get potential issues sorted out before they become a problem. I'm still toying with the idea of putting a "big" (smaller, but modern to be precise) turbo and PD150 injectors on it and bringing it up to about 150bhp. The original plan was to keep it as a daily and get a toy to run alongside, but I'm not going to have a garage or driveway any more and won't have the space for two cars. I still have no idea what I'd replace it with if I get rid of it though.

Anyway, could you help with a rough idea of how much it'd be worth? Would post some pics up if it wasn't filthy (too cold to wash it :roll: )

'53 Polo 1.4 TDI Sport 3 door
~66700 miles and will rise slowly
Rosewood red pearlescent, bodywork is outstanding for a 10 year old car, but there is the odd stonechip to the bonnet
Standard 15" "Melbourne" alloy wheels with matching Uniroyal Rainsport 2s (a couple are a bit kerbed by previous owner)
MOT till October 2014, taxed till April '14

Bog standard apart from the following:
  • Gloss black B pillars
  • 9n GT rear lights
  • Sharan stubby aerial
  • JBS/Custom Code remap, putting out 104 BHP with dyno printout
  • Ibiza Cupra solid console bushes
  • Polo 9n3 GTI front anti roll bar
    And being sport spec, electric windows, remote central locking/alarm, front fog lamps, sports interior with underseat storage, A/C (ice cold), 6 CD changer and trip computer are all standard
Other things worth mentioning:
  • Battery (original) replaced with a Varta blue top battery in Dec 2011
  • Droplinks replaced October 2012
  • Front wiper linkage and motor replaced in August 2013
  • Cambelt and water pump replaced Sep/Oct 2011 and good for another two years
  • Full service history (all invoices during my ownership present, handbook stamped prior to this) and every single MOT from new in an A4 binder
  • Wiring in place from engine bay to boot for amplifier (never got round to doing an audio install)
  • 2 keys/alarm fobs
Don't know whether I should have posted this in the "For Sale" board, but seeing as it's not for sale (yet?) I thought I'd stick in here.

Any help appreciated.

Ash :)
Umay68158
New

Re: Thinking of selling up, one of those "what's it worth" p

Post by Umay68158 »

K.I.T.T wrote:"I'm in two minds about selling up as I love the car to bits and have always gone out of my way to get potential issues sorted out before they become a problem."

Talking about the car alarm, i was thinking of the wireless two way car alarm ,it have the nice quality and the excellent appearance.
blazeguarder
Gold Member

Post by blazeguarder »

What? You're selling up? It'll be a shame to lose you from the forum Ash, always been a fan of your posts...

Any ideas what you'll be replacing it with?
K.I.T.T.
Platinum Member

Post by K.I.T.T. »

I'm still undecided David. I think I've just gotten slightly bored after six years!

Seeing as it's still relatively standard (even the wheels!), playing about with it might rekindle some interest. Always been meaning to do an engine build which would end up doubling stock power and cost maybe £500 in parts.

Let's see. Either way, judging from the rack of response, no one's interested in my car anyway, so I'll probably end up keeping it :lol: Are you still in London?

hartge
Silver Member

Post by hartge »

Best to find a similar one on AutoT, ebay etc and then go from there. Mine is going aswell soon thinking of going Mk5 Gti as I dont need a Tdi anymore :)
K.I.T.T.
Platinum Member

Post by K.I.T.T. »

Well there's a total of seven 3 door 9ns 1.4 TDIs on Autotrader with under 80k, none of them sports, ranging from £2.5k for a poverty spec '02 S with 77k to £3.8k for a '54 SE with 58k. Before I had a look, I was thinking about £3.2k for a '53 Sport with 67k. Don't know whether that sounds reasonable or not. Like I said though, I'm probably going to end up keeping it for a couple more years now. Let's see.

blazeguarder
Gold Member

Post by blazeguarder »

K.I.T.T. wrote:I'm still undecided David. I think I've just gotten slightly bored after six years!

Seeing as it's still relatively standard (even the wheels!), playing about with it might rekindle some interest. Always been meaning to do an engine build which would end up doubling stock power and cost maybe £500 in parts.

Let's see. Either way, judging from the rack of response, no one's interested in my car anyway, so I'll probably end up keeping it :lol: Are you still in London?

Yep, still in London. Here for a few more years at least... Are you coming back here or further south?
K.I.T.T.
Platinum Member

Post by K.I.T.T. »

Just moved to Dunstable yesterday as I've been offered a job in Luton, which I started today. Might have to meet up for a beer and to compare cars. Not too far away from London! Plus some pointers in regard to retrofitting cruise control wouldn't go amiss. It's on the (long) list of things I want to do but never get round to...and I've had the car for six and a half years :?