Clutch has had it.

Chat about your 9n Polo (inc GT and Fun)
pwheels
New

Clutch has had it.

Post by pwheels »

I think my 1.9TDI clutch it well on it's way out. It's getting a bit of a bugger to pull away & I can feel the clutch pedal bouncing when it's pressed in. Does anyone know of a decent garage near fareham, Portsmouth where I can get it replaced, that doesn't cost a fortune?
Any recommendations will be much appreciated.
pwheels
New

Re: Clutch has had it.

Post by pwheels »

Just got a quote from a local garage £850!!! does that sound right?
TomG
Bronze Member

Post by TomG »

Unless thats an uprated clutch including fitting.. Its a bit steep.. A stock replacement should be considerably less.

I imagine a stock clutch to cost about £250ish and fitting should be no more than £200 +vat

Assuming its the 1.9tdi 100 AXD i believe Darkside Dev can supply and fit a replacement clutch for £450 all in.
pwheels
New

Clutch has had it.

Post by pwheels »

Wow that is cheap!! Shame they are 250 miles away :(
pwheels
New

Post by pwheels »

I'm in DESPARATE NEED of some advice as I no longer have any confidence in driving my car after the garage changed my clutch on Friday. The clutch was replaced by a local garage that normally has a good reputation but after seeing all the damage & battery case broken, bolts missing everywhere & CV boot ripped with grease no all around my wheel arch, I'm a bit pissed off!

After taking my car back to them & complaining with strong language they did replace my cv boot, fobbing me off with some s**t & replace the battery cover also fobbed off about cold temperatures causing the plastic to go brittle but they did sort it out.

Now my question is, before my clutch was replaced, the clutch pedal was quite firm to press down but now after the clutch was replaced the clutch pedal is very soft with a slight bit of resistance. is this right???

The mechanic said it was because he'd greased something up inside & would bed in after time.

PLEASE HELP as I drive 500 miles a week to work in it! :cry:
panason1c
Getting There!

Post by panason1c »

After my clutch was replaced, the pedal was much lighter with very little resistance.
Ben90
Silver Member
Drives: Olympian Blue Polo TDi Sport

Post by Ben90 »

Same story with my bosses wife's Polo tdi. Replacement clutch is light as a feather. Mine must still be on the stock one because it's like a leg press changing gear.
pwheels
New

Clutch has had it.

Post by pwheels »

I got a second opinion & new clutches are lighter to operate. Thanks for your response, just needed a bit of confidence after what had happened.
Ben90
Silver Member
Drives: Olympian Blue Polo TDi Sport

Post by Ben90 »

Something to do with the clutch release plate slider thing finally being re-greased after many many years of use and abuse apparently. Glad to hear it's sorted.
pwheels
New

Clutch has had it.

Post by pwheels »

Now my clutch has done 6000 miles, the clutch pedal has returned to normal & has a bit of resistance in it again.