Alternator Failure?

Chat about your 9n Polo (inc GT and Fun)
WAFU
New

Alternator Failure?

Post by WAFU »

Hi all,

New guy here: new to driving, new to Polos, new to problems! Need some help please! :roll:

Bought my 04 1.4 TDI Polo yesterday and drove it 120 mi from the dealer to my house. about a quarter/half way the red battery light came on. When i pulled into the services, the car restarted fine (i tried straight away and after 20 mins). I did this once more after another 30mi or so, so didn't think much of it, i.e. get it checked later on, no need for the AA :)

I got home successfully and no dimming of lights or loss of PAS at any time but the radio did get quieter (didn't have air con on btw).

Tried to start the car this morning, and it was completely flat, got dash lights but wouldn't even turn over.

I have a feeling it might be an issue with the alternator - perhaps I was just running off the battery while i was driving and the alternator wasn't recharging the battery... and my 120mi drive was just about enough to flatten it.

The belt and all of the wiring (that i can see) seems fine.

Just wondering if anyone has had a similar problem, or can point me in the direction of an existing thread.

Any and all help is greatly appreciated. :)
Thanks,

WAFU
(wa-foo)