PASSENGER AIRBAG-DISABLING?

Chat about your 9n Polo (inc GT and Fun)
Red Robbo
New
Drives: 2004 1.4 TDi

PASSENGER AIRBAG-DISABLING?

Post by Red Robbo »

Hi everyone, my daughter has a 2004 Polo 1.4 Tdi and a new baby !! The Polo is only 3 door and she wants to use the front seat for the baby cot thingy - facing backwards, BUT, the Passenger Airbag needs to be disabled. The handbook shows the switch in the glove box, but her model has nowt - just a plastic blanking strip! I have prised this off and the cupboard is 'bare' - just an empty box.
So, the question is: Is it possible to please DISABLE the PASSENGER AIRBAG on an occasional basis, such that it can be switched back on when there is a passenger rather than the baby ? ( Obviously the factory fitted one does just that, but it must alter the airbag circuitry / processor so that dash lights don't come on and the driver one still works etc.)
Any advice would be much appreciated..................

Many thanks, Red Robbo
alexperkins
Site Admin
Drives: 91 Golf GTI, 01 TT 225, 54 T5 174

Re: PASSENGER AIRBAG-DISABLING?

Post by alexperkins »

You would have to get the airbag disable switch fitted in - it was an optional extra when the car was new

Your local VW dealer can probably retrofit it still
Red Robbo
New
Drives: 2004 1.4 TDi

Post by Red Robbo »

Thanks Alex. VW garage says retro fit no longer available!! Bugger !!

Cheers anyway.

RR
Robbo770
Bronze Member
Drives: Polo SEL 1.4 tdi 2014

Post by Robbo770 »

Iichel, can you advise what’s involved to retrofit the airbag off switch in a 6c, I expect is is just a sing along to the bcm or airbag module??

Might need a wiring block like you supplied to the guy who fitted every switch cross his dash to retro this if I get a switch